wboxoffice

Is Dwayne Johnson surpassing Will Smith?

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, I'd argue DiCaprio is the main draw these days. The Great Gatsby making nearly $150M despite being a period drama with mediocre reviews (a recipe for box office failure if there ever was one) is no small achievement. 

I can guarantee people are going to sleep on Once Upon a Time in Hollywood's chances. A Tarantino movie with DiCaprio as the lead is going to gross a boatload of money.

• Like 3

Speaking of draws, Ryan Gosling is starting to become something of a DiCaprio where he's picky about projects. Granted, only La La Land was a smash hit that could be attributed to him (and Stone), but in the past three years he's also had The Big Short with over $70M+ (although he shared it with other big name actors) and, even though it was considered a financial flop, Blade Runner 2049 with almost $100M (which also had Harrison Ford heavily featured alongside him in the marketing but he didn't appear until the final third of the movie). Of course, The Nice Guys flopped in between all of those movies but that was always going to be more of a cult hit than a box office one. All eyes will be on First Man later this year, especially in the possible event he turns out to be the Best Actor frontrunner (assuming, of course, the film delivers).

5 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Revolutionary Road is more what usually happen for a period drama with mediocre reviews if they do not have a giant pre-made fanbase.

Revolutionary Road got solid reviews (even if it didn't become the major Oscar player it was expected to be) and had a lot of hoopla surrounding him and Winslet reuniting. The movie was just too much of a downer (and not enough of an awards players) to attract much of an audience.

17 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Ryan Gosling is starting to become something of a DiCaprio where he's picky about projects.

Around 50% Gosling movie's did not reach 10m domestic too, even really good movie with giant marketing like Nice guys, Drive and Blade Runner lost money.

Maybe La la land changed that for him, but I am not sure.

I have zero proof of this but I feel like Jack Black was a bigger part of Jumanji's success than Dwayne. Both helped, obviously, but it wasn't all on Johnson's shoulders. Plus Kevin Hart is a pretty big draw himself.

1 minute ago, aaSlattery said:

I have zero proof of this but I feel like Jack Black was a bigger part of Jumanji's success than Dwayne. Both helped, obviously, but it wasn't all on Johnson's shoulders. Plus Kevin Hart is a pretty big draw himself.

It's obvious who the main draw was.

Image result for karen gillan gif selfie

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Barnack said:

Not sure if it is that close of Smith prime it is just a different era, Will Smith was doing stuff like that on non sequel entry

2 3 I Am Legend WB $256,393,010 3,648 $77,211,321 3,606 12/14/07
3 5 Hancock Sony $227,946,274 3,965 $62,603,879 3,965 7/2/08
5 11 I, Robot Fox $144,801,023 3,494 $52,179,887 3,420 7/16/04
7 4 Men in Black Sony $250,690,539 3,180 $51,068,455 3,020 7/2/97
8 2 Independence Day Fox $306,169,268 2,977 $50,228,264 2,882 7/3/96
11 7 Hitch Sony $179,495,555 3,575 $43,142,214 3,575 2/11/05
12 13 Wild Wild West WB $113,804,681 3,342 $27,687,484 3,342 6/30/99

Wild Wild West was seen has a major flop back in the days, it opened at 41.34m in 2018 US dollar, with just 3,330 theater and pure normal 2d ticketing. I am legend was around 93m OW in 2018 dollar with just 3,600 theater and no 3D....

Without adjusting for ticket price, 3d, theater count, just by dollar, look at those opening weekend in 2018 $:

I am legend: 93m

I-Day: 79.89m

Men in black: 79.3m

Hancock: 72.56m

I robot: 68.93m

Hitch: 55.12m

WWW: 41.43m

They look like the non-avengers MCU numbers....

DiCaprio/Nolan together on Inception did 71.85m, the only time DiCaprio went over 55m in 2018$ dollar OW in is career, Will Smith did it 7 times.

Johnson biggest non-sequel/remake live action openning in 2018 dollar

San Andreas: 54.5m

Central Intelligence: 37m

Rampage: 36m

Hercules : 31m

Race to witch mountain: 27.92

Game plan: 27.6m

Run Down: 25.16m

Pain&Gain: 21.64m

-------

Great obviously, but a clear lower tier than prime Smith.

He was pushing movies like Hitch and Pursuit of Happiness above 200m adjusted, Johnson never came close to do anything like that, no one really is right one.

To give a sense of how big he was, 

Puirsuit of Happiness made 400m in revenues from a 50m budget 

Hancock made 660m in revenues on a 166m budget, Smith was probably paid over 100m on that one (the talent bonus paid by the studio was around 113m).

Just a different era, and Eddie Murphy was also ridiculously big.

Will Smith international metric are some of the best of all time, if not the best:

Awareness:

Smith, Will Australia 0.98
Smith, Will Brazil 0.98
Smith, Will France 0.99
Smith, Will Germany 0.98
Smith, Will Italy 0.966169154
Smith, Will Japan 0.90029615
Smith, Will Korea 0.942439996
Smith, Will Mexico 0.99
Smith, Will Russia 0.96829689
Smith, Will Spain 0.99
Smith, Will UK 0.99
Smith, Will Int'l Average 0.970654745

Fan among aware: .77

That a ridiculous .75 international score (awareness * popularity among aware).

Eddy Murphy:

Murphy, Eddie Australia 0.979062812
Murphy, Eddie Brazil 0.993
Murphy, Eddie France 0.980059821
Murphy, Eddie Germany 0.983050847
Murphy, Eddie Italy 0.984031936
Murphy, Eddie Japan 0.927
Murphy, Eddie Korea  
Murphy, Eddie Mexico 0.984047856
Murphy, Eddie Russia  
Murphy, Eddie Spain 0.983084577
Murphy, Eddie UK 0.982
Murphy, Eddie Int'l Average 0.977259761

Fan among aware .65

Dwayne Johnson in 2012:

Johnson, Dwayne Australia 0.87
Johnson, Dwayne Brazil 0.92
Johnson, Dwayne France 0.57
Johnson, Dwayne Germany 0.79
Johnson, Dwayne Italy 0.689163498
Johnson, Dwayne Japan 0.24
Johnson, Dwayne Korea  
Johnson, Dwayne Mexico 0.94
Johnson, Dwayne Russia  
Johnson, Dwayne Spain 0.812202097
Johnson, Dwayne UK 0.82
Johnson, Dwayne Int'l Average 0.739040622

Fan among aware: .49

Every time a make a list of "do you know how rare it is for a non-horror live action without a strong IP movie to do something ?", like talking about Rampage chance of doing less than 40m OW. A ridiculous percentage of the movies that will have achieved to do it are Will Smith movies.

ID4 made over 100m on OW adjusted and it opened on a tuesday. With 3d thats close to 115m. Madness  

22 minutes ago, aaSlattery said:

Hart is pretty much domestic only too no ? Jumanji was a global success, on the domestic market in a comedy I think Hart is pretty much has big as Johnson, Ride Along opened higher than Central Intelligence after all. But in many other market that was Johnson.

I am not sure I get the Jack Black being a bigger draw than those 2 narrative, is movies even acclaimed one sometime do not cross 10m.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

Hart is pretty much domestic too ? Jumanji was a global success, on the domestic market in a comedy I think Hart is pretty much has big as Johnson, Ride Along opened higher than Central Intelligence after all. But in many other market that was Johnson.

I am not sure I get the Jack Black being a bigger draw than those 2 narrative, is movies even acclaimed one sometime do not cross 10m.

I said I didn't have any proof :P

It's probably my own bias talking cause he was the main reason I bothered going out to see it. He wasn't why it opened big but I feel like his character was one of the stronger gags in the movie. I'm sure he was one of the reasons why the legs were so strong.

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

I can guarantee people are going to sleep on Once Upon a Time in Hollywood's chances. A Tarantino movie with DiCaprio as the lead is going to gross a boatload of money.

Yep, and it's Leo + Brad. An Event if there was ever one, that doesn't contain 'splosions. 

I mean, Leo is a bigger draw but the combo is going to put butts in seats cause it's their first team up.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

Guys I don't mean to be a fuddy duddy here but we have a thread for who is a draw and who isn't.  Can e just keep this one about DJ and Will?  

3 hours ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

The Fresh Prince was the center of Hollywood for a long while. Rock is a nice side show. 

I hardly think The Rock is a sideshow.  He's one of the biggest draws in the world right now and he is paid like one.

1 minute ago, baumer said:

I hardly think The Rock is a sideshow.  He's one of the biggest draws in the world right now and he is paid like one.

It’s all relative. The rock is known for his roles which  are all essentially similar. You know what you get when you watch a Rock film. Studios revolves around Will at one point. 

3 hours ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

It’s all relative. The rock is known for his roles which  are all essentially similar. You know what you get when you watch a Rock film. Studios revolves around Will at one point. 

I agree with you about Smith being a bigger draw than The Rock.  I don't agree with you that The Rock is a sideshow.