Neo

Venom | 5 OCTOBER 2018 | Sony | Tom Hardy is Venom. Social Media reactions coming in

2 hours ago, Boxofficerules said:

Just saw it, wasn’t crazy about it, it’s not as bad as Catwoman or Fantastic Four, Ghost Rider seems like a good comparison. There is like one decent enough action scene but there is a clip of that online, it’s also too loud, that scene should have been silent but it’s really loud.

The script just feels like Spider Man, Eddie breaking in and getting infected feels like the first Spider-Man. Even something that happens towards the end feels like it was recycled from The Amazing Spider Man 2. 

The movie feels way too sanitized, so many things that happen SHOULD be really cool but they’re shot so terribly so as not to show you ANYTHING they come off as awful. I’m surprised this got a 15 cert as it looks and feels like a soft 12a rated movie, they didn’t push the rating at all. Venom keeps talking about having eaten some heads but I guess I blinked and missed it cause I didn’t notice that at all until it was said.

Id say the climatic fight is one of the worst since Fantastic Four, so dull, just wanted it to end at that point. Michelle Williams feels totally wasted, feels like the type of part you’d give to an upcoming actress, not an established one, she has zero chemistry with Tom Hardy, their scenes are painful to watch.

Its weird how the ending of the movie is in the trailer.

Id give it 2/5, feels more like a product than a movie.

One positive I’ll give it is at least they don’t spend scenes trying to set up other movies.

Please don't tell me the "Good night Mrs. Chen" as Tom Hardy walks away with a grin is the LAST SHOT of the movie before it cuts to black. Please! Is it?

9 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

With a $100 million budget, if this is a big hit (say, $600 million worldwide), I bet you Sony will continue with this franchise, either with direct sequels or spin-offs. That's too much money and they will work to fix the problems

Exactly, even in a box office forum MCU fanboys think that Rotten Tomatoes matters more than the box office.

$600M seems too optimistic at this point but if Venom is that cheap, $400M might be enough for a sequel (assuming a relatively high domestic share unlike, say, Genysys or Warcraft).

Above $600M the Venomverse would be a go, with Spider-Man.:Venom:

Edited by MrGlass2

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Will be really interesting to see just how high the OW can go followed by how low the multi can. Definitely thinking sub 2x.If it comes anywhere near 100 this weekend, I expect a historical crash and burn afterwards.

I've been thinking a Green Lantern-esque run the whole time and these reviews don't change my mind. Something like $55M/$115M sounds about right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

With a $100 million budget, if this is a big hit (say, $600 million worldwide), I bet you Sony will continue with this franchise, either with direct sequels or spin-offs. That's too much money and they will work to fix the problems

Sony would make a sequel even if the first one only earn around $400M. They won't give it up so easy. They are eager about building a cinematic universe.

1 minute ago, tonytr87 said:

Agreed. Just because a desperate studio is stubborn enough to keep investing in it doesn't mean it's not a failed universe. 

Sound a bit a limited vision of what a DC universe can mean for a studio.

In 2016:

Fans spent $4.5 billion on DC-related consumer products.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9NjYzMzAxfENoaWxkSUQ9Mzc1NjcxfFR5cGU9MQ==&t=1

DC universe average box office is of 753m on an average rumored 220m budget, put a +15% because of the possible and usual massaged down rumored budget and they tripled their budget in average, while being domestic heavy and while being a driver on the DC-related consumer products universe, notably the video game.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Sony would make a sequel even if the first one only earn around $400M. They won't give it up so easy. They are eager about building a cinematic universe.

Given the reception this film is looking to get it's very likely Hardy and co. won't come back, so a sequel would probably be another Girl in the Spider's Web where it's made for a heavily discounted price with none of the original players involves.

3 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Celebrating it being at 35%? You know some people are desperate now. Anything below 60% has been bad for these comic book movies. 

I honestly expected worse. 

Edited by MrPink