Neo

Venom | 5 OCTOBER 2018 | Sony | Tom Hardy is Venom. Social Media reactions coming in

Unless this makes a shit ton of money, I don't see how Sony is going to be happy. This is the second time that a live action Venom was not well received. You can't keep putting out mediocre product after mediocre product and expect the consumer to return. The whole point of this film was to start a cinematic universe of their own. Having a poorly received film to kick off said universe isn't exactly what any studio exec wants. If this movie makes money for Sony, they'll breath a sigh of relief that it was at least profitable but in the end they'll still be stuck right where they were before releasing this film: how do we start a super hero universe with Venom/the Marvel characters we have. 

As was mentioned already in this thread, Suicide Squad was a financial success. So was Batman v Superman. And yet there are reasons why Warner Bros haven't green lit sequels to either/continued on with those films. The reception of your film matters almost as much as what it does at the box office. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Nova said:

Unless this makes a shit ton of money, I don't see how Sony is going to be happy. This is the second time that a live action Venom was not well received. You can't keep putting out mediocre product after mediocre product and expect the consumer to return. The whole point of this film was to start a cinematic universe of their own. Having a poorly received film to kick off said universe isn't exactly what any studio exec wants. If this movie makes money for Sony, they'll breath a sigh of relief that it was at least profitable but in the end they'll still be stuck right where they were before releasing this film: how do we start a super hero universe with Venom/the Marvel characters we have. 

As was mentioned already in this thread, Suicide Squad was a financial success. So was Batman v Superman. And yet there are reasons why Warner Bros haven't green lit sequels to either/continued on with those films. The reception of your film matters almost as much as what it does at the box office. 

Yeah, FOX should have dumped Jackman and Reynolds after Xmen origins abomination...:ph34r: ;)

Edited by Hades
spelling
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hades said:

Yeah, FOX should have dumped Jackman and Reynolds after Xmen origins abomination...:ph34r: ;)

Origins came AFTER Fox established their X-Men universe. And there was a reason why Fox took years to green light a Deadpool film and only did so after leaked footage and gave the creators the smallest of budgets for a CBM

• Like 3

I wonder if we'll have a Harley Quinn situation on our hands again with this one; a break-out character in a mediocre movie. The reviews do make Tom Hardy seem hilarious and the only fun thing about the whole movie, right? Plus he is already a meme just by the trailers.

Maybe we won't get a Venom 2 so soon but we might get other movies headlined by him if that's true, just like what's happening to Harley Quinn.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 1

It's still a little early, but the chances of this making it above 50 are minimal. The "fresh" reviews even mention its uneven tone and mess of a script. This is Suicide Squad all over again. It's still going to do well at the box office, but I don't know if Hardy will feel compelled to return.

Just saw it, wasn’t crazy about it, it’s not as bad as Catwoman or Fantastic Four, Ghost Rider seems like a good comparison. There is like one decent enough action scene but there is a clip of that online, it’s also too loud, that scene should have been silent but it’s really loud.

The script just feels like Spider Man, Eddie breaking in and getting infected feels like the first Spider-Man. Even something that happens towards the end feels like it was recycled from The Amazing Spider Man 2. 

The movie feels way too sanitized, so many things that happen SHOULD be really cool but they’re shot so terribly so as not to show you ANYTHING they come off as awful. I’m surprised this got a 15 cert as it looks and feels like a soft 12a rated movie, they didn’t push the rating at all. Venom keeps talking about having eaten some heads but I guess I blinked and missed it cause I didn’t notice that at all until it was said.

Id say the climatic fight is one of the worst since Fantastic Four, so dull, just wanted it to end at that point. Michelle Williams feels totally wasted, feels like the type of part you’d give to an upcoming actress, not an established one, she has zero chemistry with Tom Hardy, their scenes are painful to watch.

Its weird how the ending of the movie is in the trailer.

Id give it 2/5, feels more like a product than a movie.

One positive I’ll give it is at least they don’t spend scenes trying to set up other movies.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Both took a while before the stench wore off and then got R-rated makeovers.

What are you talking about? The Wolverine came 4 years afterwards and it certainly wasn't R-rated. It still did pretty well and earned some good will.

Edited by Arlborn