Neo

Venom | 5 OCTOBER 2018 | Sony | Tom Hardy is Venom. Social Media reactions coming in

17 minutes ago, TMP said:

The THR review of this said Tom Hardy is "the perfect actor to one day play Harvey Weinstein" in the opening paragraph.

The film doesn't look good, but that's some Rex Reed level bullshit. Also, isn't Hardy considered one of the most attractive men alive? Equating him to Weinstein has nothing to do with the movie, and just seems like a shitty way to start the review.

People need to stop with this bullshit like jeez he was in a bad movie it doesn't make him a bad person.

• Like 3

Have you guys read some of these reviews?? This sounds wildly funny and I'm here for it!

Reviews/reactions haven't positively changed my perception of a movie this much since... Heck, I'm not sure they ever have. It sounds like the perfect movie to watch with a friend who just gets that kind of humor; I just wanna my promised two dozen laughs from this.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Have you guys read some of these reviews?? This sounds wildly funny and I'm here for it!

Reviews/reactions haven't positively changed my perception of a movie this much since... Heck, I'm not sure they ever have. It sounds like the perfect movie to watch with a friend who just gets that kind of humor; I just wanna my promised two dozen laughs from this.

Arlborn my man, come on now. :sparta:

• Haha 1

Damn, so far it's only got a 30% on Rotten Tomatoes. I don't really care that much about RT but didn't think this movie would get that low of a score, thought it would at least get a 60. From the few reviews I've read it seems Tom Hardy is the slight saving grace this movie has from being complete trash. Although I have seen one "so bad it;s good" review.

Edited by clockwork

Critics Consensus: Venom's first standalone movie turns out to be like the comics character in all the wrong ways - chaotic, noisy, and in desperate need of a stronger attachment to Spider-Man.

Edited by Gamora

It’s difficult to discuss “Venom” without some mention of the infamous feculence line shown in the trailer—the symbiotic monster warning a naughty thug about leaving his dismembered body flailing about like “a turd in the wind.” It’s a laughable line, but maybe there’s something to these recurring themes; after all, endoparasites are often found in feces, and “Venom” stinks like a horrid flush that just won’t go down the drain.

- The Playlist

Not surprised. Not one bit. The movie looked awful from the get-go. DC and Sony are making it easy for Marvel. There is no competition in the game atm.

I think Venom not being good to most critics (I haven't seen it so I can't give a personal opinion) is a major bummer when I think about it. I like when other studios besides Marvel make good comic book movies. Last year's one two punch of Logan and Wonder Woman was awesome for that very reason. Oh well,  at least Deadpool 2 succeeded and I personally have hope for Aquaman because of Wan's involvement and because I liked the trailer.

Venom's trailers always bothered me because they never showed whether the film was even trying to be about something or make us care about the characters. It was just all about cool monster man and Tom Hardy giving another one of his "interesting" performances. That will be enough to bring people out opening weekend but unless something virtually unheard of happens and the critics and audiences disagree on a big comic book movie (something that I can't remember happening recently) the film is dead after it's big opening weekend.