Neo

Venom | 5 OCTOBER 2018 | Sony | Tom Hardy is Venom. Social Media reactions coming in

30 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Felicity was supposed to be Black Cat in the ASM series. Anne Hathaway was supposed to be Black Cat in the original Raimi Spider-Man 4

Oh, right! I mixed up those movies, lol. Shows how little I care for Spiderman beyond first 2. :D

3 hours ago, Barnack said:

Pretty much all is lead movie failed commercially recently I think, specially at the domestic box office, is last franchise he tried to launch (Child 44) most notably was a disaster, even pretty good stuff with commercial appeal like The Warrior.

CHILD 44 was hardly a franchise or even an attempt at one.

3 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

CHILD 44 was hardly a franchise or even an attempt at one.

I always mix it up with one.

But the book was the first of a trilogy and apparently the movie end up hinting for the sequel and liongates was (and still is) trying to launch franchise all the time, you are sure it was setuped as a one movie alone that would not do the other book entry of the book franchise kind of projects ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I always mix it up with one.

But the book was the first of a trilogy and apparently the movie end up hinting for the sequel and liongates was (and still is) trying to launch franchise all the time, you are sure it was setuped as a one movie alone that would not do the other book entry of the book franchise kind of projects ?

I've seen it. There's no indication that there was any intent for a sequel.

I'm sure if it was a giant hit, they would've found a way to make one, but that's a different story.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

I'm sure if it was a giant hit, they would've found a way to make one, but that's a different story.

Well the book had sequels, it should not have been too hard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_Speech_(novel)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_44#Themes

According to some russian reviewer that had interest in the books, the ending is hinting for the sequel:

https://landofbooks.org/2015/04/24/book-to-movie-adaptation-child-44/

The good news is that the end is giving a hint for a sequel. The bad news is that the box office is huge disappointment after just $3 million ($50 million budget) in sales for the first week of distribution.

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

Well the book had sequels, it should not have been too hard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_Speech_(novel)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_44#Themes

According to some russian reviewer that had interest in the books, the ending is hinting for the sequel:

https://landofbooks.org/2015/04/24/book-to-movie-adaptation-child-44/

The good news is that the end is giving a hint for a sequel. The bad news is that the box office is huge disappointment after just $3 million ($50 million budget) in sales for the first week of distribution.

From the moment that Hollywood first starting adapting book series to movies, there's always the vague possibility of a future sequel. That's hugely different than calling a movie a "planned franchise". THE GODFATHER wasn't a planned franchise, for example.

CHILD 44 ends up on a very definitive note. Like every movie where the main characters survive, there's the possibility that you could create another story in the future, but that's hardly setting things up for a sequel.

• Like 2

Well, props to Sony. I was convinced there was no way they could get people onboard for this but one casting later and they've shattered my world view. Nothing will ever be the same after @Tele Came Back finally gets to see Tom Hardy covered in sticky, black tentacles. We all know that's what he truly desires.

Edited by aabattery

10 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

From the moment that Hollywood first starting adapting book series to movies, there's always the vague possibility of a future sequel. That's hugely different than calling a movie a "planned franchise". THE GODFATHER wasn't a planned franchise, for example.

CHILD 44 ends up on a very definitive note. Like every movie where the main characters survive, there's the possibility that you could create another story in the future, but that's hardly setting things up for a sequel.

But Godfather was only one book (well after a check until 1984) and that was in the 70's, Liongates making a huge budget movie must have had sequel plan's (when was the last time they didn't ?).

Why the create another story in the future comments ? Why not use the already existing story of the second book, was the first one not following the book much ?

• Like 1

Man, I really was hoping Hardy would take on a better SH role, Like Green Lantern.. still, my interest in this film has increased substantially now.  

Edited by Kalo

10 minutes ago, Barnack said:

But Godfather was only one book (well after a check until 1984) and that was in the 70's, Liongates making a huge budget movie must have had sequel plan's (when was the last time they didn't ?).

Why the create another story in the future comments ? Why not use the already existing story of the second book, was the first one not following the book much ?

I'm afraid I'm not sure what you're asking here.

CHILD 44 follows a guy trying to track down a serial killer against the backdrop of the Soviet Union and Stalin's purge of officials in the 1950s. The story is wrapped up. Some people die, some people live. The story is resolved. There's no hint of "aha, there's a new story beginning or about to come" -- the movie wraps up and ends. THE END.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Well, props to Sony. I was convinced there was no way they could get people onboard for this but one casting later and they've shattered my world view. Nothing will ever be the same after @Tele Came Back finally gets to see Tom Hardy covered in sticky, black tentacles. We all know that's what he truly desires.

Image result for gif tom hardy

• Like 2

If you had told me that the Gangster Squad guy was directing a Sony Venom spinoff, and then asked me if I would be interested in seeing it, my literal only answer would have been "If they cast Tom Hardy." So, guess I'm seeing this shit.

• Like 9