Sheikh

Weekend Thread | Avengers 2nd Weekend - 114.774 only a 21.5% drop on Sunday

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Guardians 2 legs would seem to be a good expectation. Very similar second weekend drop. That would mean about $685m total. So far it's running ahead of Guardians 2 legs after the 2nd weekend. Stronger weekday numbers for Infinity War. 

Wonder how much the "see it ASAP to avoid spoilers!" talk influenced the strong weekdays. We'll see!

6 hours ago, A2k Raptor said:

why hang 2b over aiw's head? at 1.8b it will have beaten ta by a whooping 300 to become the biggest mcu film by a distance. 'wont reach 2b' talk is just a trollish way to make the run look lesser than it is.

Nah like IronJimbo said a lot of people kept saying how it’s gonna reach 2 billion. And let’s be real here this movie is 10 years in the making it features popular characters like guardians and black panther - the latter which was a huge phenomenon. It also had the highest opening weekend of ALL TIME. If the movie doesn’t reach at least 700 DOM and 2 billion WW it will be a bit embarrassing. I mean even star wars that’s a huge flop WW (compared to global juggernauts like Avatar) reached that number.  

Edited by GraceRandolph

5 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

SM1 and BP started making up for it on the weekends right away, both with sub-45% second weekend drops. IW is clearly not on that level. 

I didn't say it is. It may however be on the TDKR level or a little better. Remains to be seen. 

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

I didn't say it is. It may however be on the TDKR level or a little better. Remains to be seen. 

How did Thanos get back to gotham

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, miketheavenger said:

Again, this drop is only disappointing if you expected IW to follow BP or TFA's runs. These ridiculous "disappointments" claims have happened with so many films in the last four years since I've been a member of this forum. You would think we would've learned by now, but nope.

Was it ridiculous to expect something close to the 2012 Avengers and being dissapointed that estimate are closer to an Ultron drop than Avengers drop ?

There is a lot of room between TFA/BP ridiculous legs and what some reasonable but really optimistic expectation one could have had for this second weekend.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Remains to be seen is correct. It's off to a very strong start, but it faces two $150m openers gunning for the same audience very soon. TDKR was fortunate to have a wasteland of competition in August 2012. 

I thought they had publicly released the trailer for Hunter Killer but I guess that was exclusive to CinemaCon.  

Trailer looked terrible as expected, but maybe it gets that Gerard Butler pure action business.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Remains to be seen is correct. It's off to a very strong start, but it faces two $150m openers gunning for the same audience very soon. TDKR was fortunate to have a wasteland of competition in August 2012. 

I'm only worried about the DP weekend. MD hold should be pretty soft. 

Very good number for IW, it will drop with actual behind BP. It's headed for a $625 which is amazing (bigger than i expected before OW). Next weekend it may drop 45%-50% but the 4th weekend drop will be big. 

31 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

I really hope Life of the Party breaks out next weekend because it is simply sad that the highest grossing comedy of the year has made less than $70M and it's already May.

Don’t worry the highest grossing comedy will come in September with Night School.

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I'm only worried about the DP weekend. MD hold should be pretty soft. 

I agree. Not because I'm underestimating Solo but because usually MD weekend provides a soft drop for holdovers (typically at least) 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

:sparta::sparta::sparta::sparta:

HUNTER KILLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER

That Millenium movies greatness is coming to bless us all once again. Shit will somehow open with 15M.

Without spoilers obviously, how worthwhile are the post-credits scenes in Infinity War if I'm not really an MCU obsessive? Can I bail once the thing ends or is there something legitimately cool afterwards?