That One Girl

Escape Room | January 4, 2019 | Sony | Directed by Adam Robitel (Insidious 4)

I actually saw an advertisement for this while I was procrastinating watching YouTube videos today. I'm choosing to believe that doing TV-spot style ads on YouTube as early as they're choosing to do so... sort of tells me Sony's at least a little confident in this one.

January films have gotten a little better over time--2018 Jan. was certainly better than 2017 Jan.--so I wouldn't be surprised if this is comes out of nowhere as what may at least be a moderate horror hit.

this is by the same director who did insidious the last key which was pretty mediocre imo (other than a certain scene involving a suitcase :ph34r:) so I don't expect much from this but the trailer was interesting and has like 8M views on youtube. BOP has it doing 13/32 and if the budget is as low as the last Insidious it won't flop.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RealLyre said:

this is by the same director who did insidious the last key which was pretty mediocre imo (other than a certain scene involving a suitcase :ph34r:) so I don't expect much from this but the trailer was interesting and has like 8M views on youtube. BOP has it doing 13/32 and if the budget is as low as the last Insidious it won't flop.

13/32? it looks much more appealing than any saw movie after saw 2. weird.

10 hours ago, Poseidon said:

It's the same story every year, a horror movie the first weekend of the year, that is supposed to be dead that's having a good start. 
And this one got a PG 13, so this will help to push it to at least $15m in a pretty dead market.

Yeh they’re consistently underestimated but they have a good track record of opening decently.

I thought the trailer for this was effective, but stopped watching halfway through cause I feared they were starting to show too much of the film. 

I still think this looks really cool, and do wanna see it if it plays at the theatre where I go for free. 

Box office-wise I'm a bit worried; if Cabin in the Woods was stuck in the low-teens, I don't see how this could possibly break beyond that.