ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

9 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Is Marvel building up to another super villain like Thanos?  I haven't seen any of the post Thanos MCU movies.

:Loki spoiler keeping it save:

Isn't Kang from Loki supposed to be the big bad going forward? He's in Quantumania too.

1 hour ago, exomassey said:

Genuinely, maybe there is just a lack of interest in Eternals.

The trailer didn’t really seem to grab people and now with the reactions, maybe people see this as one they can easily skip in theatres. The Marvel brand and some of the cast can only do so much. 

Also every time I go on Twitter people are just mocking everything about the Eternals. This film has a real uphill battle lol.

Eh. The trailer views were quite strong, and the sales were doing quite well up until yesterday, which was pretty bad. I think the reviews being lower than normal for MCU may have blunted the upward trend. As far as the second point, who cares about Film Twitter people? They are only useful to laugh at, not to predict BO from. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Menor said:

Eh. The trailer views were quite strong, and the sales were doing quite well up until yesterday, which was pretty bad. I think the reviews being lower than normal for MCU may have blunted the upward trend. As far as the second point, who cares about Film Twitter people? They are only useful to laugh at, not to predict BO from. 

So the middling reviews are hurting the pre sales?

1 minute ago, exomassey said:

So the middling reviews are hurting the pre sales?

Hurting is not the word I would use (I don't think these are bad enough to be actively turning off a lot of people), just not helping. Shang-Chi had great reviews and had a great review bump, Black Widow had decent reviews and a decent review bump, Eternals has more mixed/meh reviews and little review bump. I do think there may be something to that. 

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Now my comment about not jumping on the doom and gloom train notwithstanding, I'd be lying if I said that the soft review bounce wasn't noteworthy.  But the term I'd use is noteworthy, especially as it had a fairly strong embargo bounce.  

How much of the review bounce was already eaten by the embargo bounce just a few days before?

That being said... I'm not in love with its current pace against Black Widow ticket sales locally (I say pace coz a direct comp suffers a bit due to differing length of pre-sales).

Want to see a few more days of data before really baking in my thoughts, and they probably belong in the tracking thread and not here anyway.  But... Well, that's where my, concern is a bit of a strong word but I'll use it, is and not so much with the review bounce (or lack there of).

I feel like this is almost the same concern though. The review bump is what was supposed to pump it up to keep up with BW, like it did for Shang-Chi (on lower overall PS, but in terms of pace). The pace being bad relative to BW is directly because there was hardly any review bump. 

7 minutes ago, Menor said:

I feel like this is almost the same concern though. The review bump is what was supposed to pump it up to keep up with BW, like it did for Shang-Chi (on lower overall PS, but in terms of pace). The pace being bad relative to BW is directly because there was hardly any review bump. 

Strange.

It’s an interesting one but maybe audiences don’t want to keep going to Marvel movies unless it’s something special.

Black Widow benefitted from being the first MCU in two years, Shang Chi had a really positive reception but with Eternals everything just seems very ‘meh’.

1 minute ago, exomassey said:

Strange.

It’s an interesting one but maybe audiences don’t want to keep going to Marvel movies unless it’s something special.

Black Widow benefitted from being the first MCU in two years, Shang Chi had a really positive reception but with Eternals everything just seems very ‘meh’.

That seems a bit overstated. Origin movies would be hurt more by weaker reviews. If No Way Home gets a 62% RT, it'll still make bank. 

9 minutes ago, Menor said:

My concerns about pace against BW pre-date the review bump a bit though is I suppose what I am saying.  It's all complicated by differing times of social media rollout though.  BW had its social embargo lift at T-21 (which was Eternals' fourth day of sales, so it was still seeing the last gasps of initial sales) while Eternals' was on T-16, so it makes it kinda difficult for me to really look at the last week of pre-sales as they weren't under similar circumstances.   One of the reasons I said I wanted to wait a couple more days before I really baked in my conclusions.

Still, if we start at T-20 and go through T-11, Eternals did about 91% of Black Widow's sales locally.  Social media boost was very good.  Review boost wasn't (in fact Eternals only did 60% of Black Widow yesterday).  

Then again, Sacramento got hit with a bomb cyclone yesterday (six inches of rain in about a 32 hour period) and I really don't know if that just put people off on buying tickets or not. One of the other reasons I want to wait about two more days before really drawing any conclusions (it's nice and sunny right now).

French first reactions

- it's the MCU movie that comes out of its comfort zone with risk-taking! The most DC of Marvel (in the visual & epic combat). On the other hand, the lengths in the 1st part is a shame. Note: 7.5 / 10

- #ChloeZhao gives the #MCU an epic fresco, well balanced between blockbuster and arthouse film.
It brings a real revival for #Marvel. Purists will surely be thrown off, but #TheEternals will also open a door to a new audience.

- TheEternals is an appetizer with potential. Action, laughs and a great cast. A scenario rather researched and a very good music.

- Even if it was a bit long, it was necessary to install these new characters and their unknown universe. Very different from the MCU mold, #TheEternals aims at drama and emotion in a super beautiful and elegant movie. I can't wait to see the sequel, especially after 2 exciting post-gen scenes! 

- Not convinced by #TheEternals. The film constantly navigates between classic blockbuster and unassuming auteur film. 2h37 that do not allow to have the slightest epic breath or strong emotion. We don't get attached to much. Very different from the rest of the MCU. It will divide. 

- Chloe Zhao's film contrasts with previous Marvel films, for better or worse. In trying to embrace the Marvel cosmogony, it often gets lost in it, but without falling apart. Many will be disappointed, but that's also how you recognize a risk-taking.

The Eternals... drags on (far, far too long) on a story that is both complex and empty. Some characters are endearing but half of the cast is almost invisible. The only good point is that the photography is beautiful. Ten thousand places from the MCU 

The stakes are global and yet the film seems very small, with an absent world and action confined to desert regions. We don't feel the emotion that Zhao wants to infuse. Despite the jokes, it's the least Marvel of Marvels. No origin story, no interconnected plot, no ugly CGI and not visually ugly.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

My concerns about pace against BW pre-date the review bump a bit though is I suppose what I am saying.  It's all complicated by differing times of social media rollout though.  BW had its social embargo lift at T-21 (which was Eternals' fourth day of sales, so it was still seeing the last gasps of initial sales) while Eternals' was on T-16, so it makes it kinda difficult for me to really look at the last week of pre-sales as they weren't under similar circumstances.   One of the reasons I said I wanted to wait a couple more days before I really baked in my conclusions.

Still, if we start at T-20 and go through T-11, Eternals did about 91% of Black Widow's sales locally.  Social media boost was very good.  Review boost wasn't (in fact Eternals only did 60% of Black Widow yesterday).  

Then again, Sacramento got hit with a bomb cyclone yesterday (six inches of rain in about a 32 hour period) and I really don't know if that just put people off on buying tickets or not. One of the other reasons I want to wait about two more days before really drawing any conclusions (it's nice and sunny right now).

I was taking the last few days holistically from all the trackers, it was doing quite well compared to BW for several days post social media bump (up until Saturday really). That would be a pretty long time for a reactions bump to inflate it.  As far as the cyclone, we saw pretty poor jumps everywhere, so I doubt that was the cause. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

Flop. Not only have I burned my tickets I've burned my neighbors' houses down to destroy theirs and save them the disappointment.

oh I just torched my third theater and now realize this is probably what I should've done instead to save my neighbors from being able to see it...