CJohn

DEADPOOL 2 WEEKEND THREAD | Spoilers = BANNED INTO OBLIVION | Dp2 125M and 300 WW debut...Asgard Sun update pg 123

Just now, LonePirate said:

The senior crew is out in force to see this showing of Book Club I am sitting in right now. Of the 60 or so total people here so far, I think there are maybe less than 5 of us who are not receiving Social Security. This thing might hit $20M this weekend judging by the crowd size at this theater.

My sympathies to you :ohmygod: 

Getting some massive Justice League vibes from Solo in terms of box office. Taking a look at the weekend prediction thread, everyone was still predicting 120-130M+ for JL a week before release even though buzz felt a little muted. Now that BOP says social media tracking is falling significantly below RO and GOTG2, that's not a good sign at all.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Getting some massive Justice League vibes from Solo in terms of box office. Taking a look at the weekend prediction thread, everyone was still predicting 120-130M+ for JL a week before release even though buzz felt a little muted. Now that BOP says social media tracking is falling significantly below RO and GOTG2, that's not a good sign at all.

I wonder if Disney should have bit the bullet and moved it to August. It is clear Memorial Day weekend is cursed for them. 

Edited by Jonwo

I wouldn't be surprised if Book Club is riding a small wave of Jane Fonda star power, given the popularity of Grace and Frankie. The show has its contingent of young adult fans too (myself included). Book Club feels in the vein of Grace and Frankie.

Peace,

Mike

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I could actually see JL's OW and multi being a very real scenario for Solo at this point. Memorial openers don't tend to have the best multis to start with, if it goes sub 100 on OW, shit's getting ugly. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

Considering Deadpool 2 is opening on par with Rogue One, I think Solo will be alright 

Probably does not get to 155m. Think it tops out 140m which would be a nice increase without Valentines Sunday helping this time around.

9 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

That would be glorious. Will be the weekend thread to follow for ban hammer record.

• Thanks 1
  • Astonished 2

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I could actually see JL's OW and multi being a very real scenario for Solo at this point. Memorial openers don't tend to have the best multis to start with, if it goes sub 100 on OW, shit's getting ugly. 

I hope to god June has some surprises in store because the fun of tracking IW and Deadpool 2 might not be there. Solo's predictions keep going down, and now Ocean's 8 is tracking pretty low (Variety has it at 30-38M while Deadline extended the roof to 45M). The June 1 releases aren't breaking out either, and JW might go hilariously low. It's basically down to Incredibles, Hereditary, Tag, and the June 29 releases.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

But didn't you hear Lando is pansexual!!

• Astonished 1

The hype for Solo seems muted, the presales while yes are strong doesn’t have the hype nor the reviews of Disney’s previous Star Wars movies, not to mention opening after two mega blockbusters will hurt. Again I honestly see under $300M.

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I hope to god June has some surprises in store because the fun of tracking IW and Deadpool 2 might not be there. Solo's predictions keep going down, and now Ocean's 8 is tracking pretty low (Variety has it at 30-38M while Deadline extended the roof to 45M). The June 1 releases aren't breaking out either, and JW might go hilariously low. It's basically down to Incredibles, Hereditary, Tag, and the June 29 releases.

Which means it'll be down to Incredibles and a possible breakout from Oceans 8 

:whosad:

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Premium George said:

That would be glorious. Will be the weekend thread to follow for ban hammer record.

Nah, that'll be Mamma Mia's OW

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I think Ocean's may breakout, I'm not sure on JW because if reviews are mediocre then that'll hurt its OW

3 day multis for the biggest Memorial Day opener from each year this decade:

3.28x - MIB3

3x - Sex and the City 2

2.95x - Hangover

2.81x - Tomorrowland

2.73x - Pirates 5

2.57x - Days of Future Past

2.44x - Fast and Furious 6

2.35x - Apocalypse

Out of these, Days of Future Past and Fast 6 are the only two with OWs anywhere close to what Solo's will be. And their multis are bad in spite both being extremely well received in the fanbases. 

• Like 2

Go see Deadpool 2!  The first half imo isn't as good as the first movie.  It's funny but a little off.  The second half is pure deadpool and some of the best comic books stuff I've seen.  RR and Brolin are awesome, it's funny as hell and the mid credit scene is the best one ever filmed.  There's two parts of the movie that I almost died from laughing.  Gotta go to work, but really enjoyed it.

8.5/10

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

I feel JWFK may be underestimated. Audiences will likely be more than willing for another round of dinos and the original didn’t seem to have much hype either.