CJohn

DEADPOOL 2 WEEKEND THREAD | Spoilers = BANNED INTO OBLIVION | Dp2 125M and 300 WW debut...Asgard Sun update pg 123

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Which annoys me greatly. GOTG and SS showed that August is a very lucrative period to release a tentpole. I dont get why the studios are not seeing this.

I don't think August is too bad this year. Next year should be interesting with Hobbs and Shaw, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Artemis Fowl

Just now, Brainbug said:

Just pls keep on doubting the Jurassic Park franchise guys. It makes their success just that much greater :P

I always had one of the highest JW predictions around fwiw. But the FK hype is an endangered species.

• Like 1

The biggest problem for Solo imo (and I'm one of those who is bullish on it) is I think they held the premiere and dropped the embargo way too early. Any buzz that it may have gotten was overlapped by the Deadpool 2 screenings. Any buzz the reviews got were overlapped by the reviews Deadpool 2 got. To make matters worse any buzz that it did get from its reviews and premiere was pretty much "ehh it's fine." So now you're sitting a week before release with nothing to hype people up about. 

Dont get me wrong, I think it's still going to do well especially since it'll play towards the family crowd over MDW and the fact it's Star Wars but I haven't been a fan of how Disney has been rolling out/marketing the film from the get go. But Disney is Disney...they're the ones with the billion dollar franchises so they  know what they're doing more than me :) 

• Like 4

Jurassic World is dropping but I think due to people’s hatred of the forst film here people are letting that think it will do worse than it will 

and the marketing hasn’t been bad. It’s been going strong since December 

37 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Out of these, Days of Future Past and Fast 6 are the only two with OWs anywhere close to what Solo's will be. And their multis are bad in spite both being extremely well received in the fanbases. 

They also both come from notoriously frontloaded franchises.

4 hours ago, IceFire9yt said:

The MCU formula is:

1.) Make movies that people like, with characters that they like.

2.) After you multiple successful movies, have those characters meet up in a crossover event.  This will draw fans of each individual movie in and feel like an event and draw people in.  All the original franchises will be stronger after this movie because of the people exposed to the characters in the event.

3.) Rinse and repeat.

DC and the Monsters Universe failed in step one.  Star Wars didn't expand the universe- there are no new characters to have a crossover event with- so really all these prequels are doing are wearing down the event status of the main trilogy.  Its honestly conceptually simple.  Its so difficult because most studios have a hard time consistently making movies that connect with audiences (heck, even Marvel has a few duds early on), and early on a few flops can absolutely compromise the integrity of the whole project.

Honestly , and apart from the interest not really being there, the problem with universal’s dark universe was that the first movie was awful. I was really rooting for the dark uninverse to be a success, I am a classic monsters loonie as much as a MCU one. When I watched the mummy at the theaters I knew that the dark universe was over, everything about the movie was horrible, not mediocre but salvageable, just simply horrible. Too bad cause I really wanted to see Johnny deep playing the invisible man and an action packed Dracula film sometime in the future.

• Like 2

http://deadline.com/2018/05/ryan-reynolds-deadpool-2-weekend-box-office-opening-1202393815/

20th Century Fox’s Deadpool 2 is on its way to potentially unseating New Line/Warner Bros.’ It for the top opening day ever for an R-rated pic with a $50M-$52M take. That Stephen King title made $50.4M last September with Deadpool ranked second with a $47.3M start. Though Deadpool 2 is higher in its Friday than the first chapter, right now analysts are calling its opening at $130M.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, MaxAggressor said:

http://deadline.com/2018/05/ryan-reynolds-deadpool-2-weekend-box-office-opening-1202393815/

20th Century Fox’s Deadpool 2 is on its way to potentially unseating New Line/Warner Bros.’ It for the top opening day ever for an R-rated pic with a $50M-$52M take. That Stephen King title made $50.4M last September with Deadpool ranked second with a $47.3M start. Though Deadpool 2 is higher in its Friday than the first chapter, right now analysts are calling its opening at $130M.

Seems too low to me. $50-52M Friday would mean that previews are 35.8 - 37.2% of the opening day gross. I don't think that is likely based on historical data, and expect the projected gross to go up. But who knows with this film. 

For reference:

Estimated Top Midnight/Preview Grosses of All-Time

Rank / Title / Gross / Share of Opening Day

Spoiler

1. Star Wars: The Force Awakens — 57.0 million (47.9%)
2. Star Wars: The Last Jedi — 45.0 million (43.0%)
3. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 — 43.5 million (47.7%)
4. Avengers: Infinity War — 39.0 million (36.7%)
5. The Dark Knight Rises — 30.6 million (40.4%)
6. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2 — 30.4 million (42.7%)
7. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 — 30.25 million (42.2%)
8. The Twilight Saga: Eclipse — 30.1 million (43.9%)
9. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story — 29.0 million (40.8%)
10. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice — 27.7 million (34.0%)
11. Avengers: Age of Ultron — 27.6 million (32.7%)
12. The Twilight Saga: New Moon — 26.27 million (36.1%)
13. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire — 25.26 million (35.6%)
14. Black Panther — 25.2 million (33.2%)
15. Captain America: Civil War — 25 million (33.1%)
16. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 — 24 million (38.9%)
17. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince — 22.8 million (39.2%)
18. Suicide Squad — 20.5 million (31.6%)
19. The Hunger Games — 19.735 million (29.3%)
20. Marvel's The Avengers — 18.7 million (23.1%)
21. Deadpool 2 — 18.6 million (TBD)
22. The Dark Knight — 18.5 million (27.5%)
23. Jurassic World — 18.5 million (22.6%)
24. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 — 17 million (30.2%)
25. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 — 17 million (30.8%)
26. Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith — 16.9 million (33.8%)
27. Transformers : Revenge of the Fallen — 16.8 million (27.1%)
28. Beauty and the Beast — 16.3 million (25.5%)
29. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2 — 16 million (35.1%)
30. Furious 7 — 15.8 million (23.4%)
31. Iron Man 3 — 15.6 million (22.7%)
32. Spider-Man: Homecoming — 15.4 million (30.5%)
33. Thor: Ragnarok — 14.5 million (31.0%)
34. Transformers: Dark of the Moon — 13.5 million (35.8%)
35. The Hobbit: Un Unexpected Journey — 13 million (35.0%)
36. Deadpool — 12.7 million (26.8%)
37. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix — 12 million (27.1%)

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

That # definitely needs to go up or it's playing really frontloaded and is probably heading to 115-120 or so. 

I agree. If that number doesn't go up well then the meltdowns can start :sparta:

• Like 1