CJohn

DEADPOOL 2 WEEKEND THREAD | Spoilers = BANNED INTO OBLIVION | Dp2 125M and 300 WW debut...Asgard Sun update pg 123

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

Who expected Deadpool 2 to be bigger than the first? I've always expected a decrease. Whether slight or big, I expected it to make less.

@aabattery 386.9M :sparta:

• Like 2

The blathering about how DP2’s early numbers are bad is almost as mind numbingly painful to read as the posts about IW’s early numbers. I do agree that having IW only 3 weeks earlier diluted some of DP2’s marketing. Regardless of that, it’s going to do fine in light of the competition it has. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

When was it expected that DP2 would be bigger than the first? Maybe it would open bigger but I don't think anybody was figuring 400 million or something like that.

Remember, GOTG is still the highest grossing movie ever to have its direct sequel outgross it. Superhero or otherwise. Even Spider-Man 2, widely considered to be one of the best superhero movies ever, decreased from SM1.

Basically they should've just pretended DP2 was in the MCU!

1 hour ago, Mekanos said:

I don’t trust anybody but Gitesh for the REAL numbers. He’ll give us our 140/30 weekend. 

I am sure  omebody else has pointed this out already but you do realize that rth is our God. Guru probably gets his numbers from him. 

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

I am sure  omebody else has pointed this out already but you do realize that rth is our God. Guru probably gets his numbers from him. 

Guru so gets his numbers from him. I don't care if you are joking, that's what I believe.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

It’s probably missing 140 with this Friday though. It might go under DP1’s opening.

Fox have nobody to blame but themselves. They didn’t put Apes 3 in August and they moved DP2 into an even worse position.

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

Both AIW and DP2 are AWFUL numbers, in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Ah jeez that's not great for both

This is only the beginning. Solo could be a bloodbath. Imagine it missing Pirates 3’s 3 day memorial record of 117...unadjusted.

:bourne:

DP2 should still be a successful film overall and strengthen the character’s brand. 

Solo is what’s really in danger here. A Star Wars film, even a spin-off, can’t afford sub-700. 

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

It IS terrible for DP2. I do think that Reynolds was looking like a nervous wreck in the last days because they took notice that the release date wasn't good. The promo for this was not nearly close to the first one because they had to start way too late because of IW. That wasn't the case for DP1. I'd argue that it's worse for DP2 than it is for IW: I honestly could see a scenario where it'd miss $300m. 

What the fuck is wrong with you people?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 19

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

How is a 130-140mil opening BAD exactly? Were people really expecting Deadpool 2 to open with Black Panther numbers or something?

It's KFP2 and HTTYD2 all over again. Successful first films with sequels that didn't blow up.

If it's $55M, I don't see it missing $130M for the weekend. The first film had a 22% increase from true Friday, and those increases have by-and-large gotten bigger over the years; Deadline was talking about there being colleges off today, but in the past this weekend has not had uncharacteristically low Saturday in the past, so I don't think that'll be an issue. I'm thinking something like this:

Fri: $55M
Sat: $45.5M (+25% minus previews)

Sun: $34.5M (-24%, a slightly stronger than expected Sunday due to Monday holiday in Canad)

OW: $135M

For it to miss $300M off that would be a ridiculously low 2.2 multiplier. There's Solo next week, but I'm pretty sure the only movies to open before Memorial Day and have legs worse than that are Godzilla and Alien: Covenant. I'd say worst case is about 2.4 for ~$320M total at the worst.

• Like 1

People were buoyed by the preview number hitting above expectations. $140M to $150M figures were being thrown around. But yeah it's a good success if Deadpool 2 hits around the same number as the first. More curious about how it holds next weekend.