CJohn

DEADPOOL 2 WEEKEND THREAD | Spoilers = BANNED INTO OBLIVION | Dp2 125M and 300 WW debut...Asgard Sun update pg 123

36 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Well I was right bout IW getting big walk ups.

But wrong about DP2. (Probably less family friendly and less impressive marketing)

Seems the box office stuff isn't an exact science. :apocalypse:

If it hits the 45.5M figure of EmpireCity, that’s an excellent +31% jump from true Friday, which is on par with GOTG2 Sat bump, so I’d say walk ups is definitely big. 

Even with Rth’s 43M, that’s an improvement in Sat jump compare to the first Deadpool’s

• Like 3

Solo is definitely being trolled on RT, but the real thing to takeaway here is that so few people care enough to vote in the want to see that the trolls have been able to take over. It didn't even have 5k votes before it started plummeting recently. That should not be possible for a blockbuster of Solo's ilk this close to release. 

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Solo is definitely being trolled on RT, but the real thing to takeaway here is that so few people care enough to vote in the want to see that the trolls have been able to take over. It didn't even have 5k votes before it started plummeting recently. That should not be possible for a blockbuster of Solo's ilk this close to release. 

Do you like have a job or do you live in a basement

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, LOGAN'sLuckyRun said:

People in r/boxoffice are now saying Deadpool is too "niche" to have increased. 

didn't know that film franchises that open 100m+ back to back aren't mainstream enough :apocalypse:

I've checked out of that place for the weekend, too many hot takes I don't want to deal with. Next weekend will be worse though if Solo underperforms.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Deadpool 2 was fucking hysterical.

TBH I feel that I would've liked it a little better if they didn't rely on making references throughout.

nearly every joke that didn't was hilarious though.

1 minute ago, LOGAN'sLuckyRun said:

didn't know that film franchises that open 100m+ back to back aren't mainstream enough :apocalypse:

It's not niche at all. John Wick is niche. I just doubt that it's going to increase it's audience for reasons that I've given before.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LOGAN'sLuckyRun said:

TBH I feel that I would've liked it a little better if they didn't rely on making references throughout.

nearly every joke that didn't was hilarious though.

to be fair....didn't the first one also bank a lot of its humor from references? 

6 minutes ago, LOGAN'sLuckyRun said:

"niche" isn't the right word because as you pointed out, in context its silly. But I get what they're saying, if indeed what we're seeing is the cap for that franchise/R-rated action-flavored spandex comedy. 

1 minute ago, RRA said:

to be fair....didn't the first one also bank a lot of its humor from references? 

The first did but they double down with DP2.

IMO the first one relied a lot more on penis jokes. This one has a couple but not nearly as much.

I'm probably gonna give this film another watch one day. I still liked it.  

2 minutes ago, RRA said:

"niche" isn't the right word because as you pointed out, in context its silly. But I get what they're saying, if indeed what we're seeing is the cap for that franchise/R-rated action-flavored spandex comedy. 

It’s better to say that a certain portion of the audience will be automatically turned off by the movie. But the casual audiences interest is way to high to call it niche. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

I've checked out of that place for the weekend, too many hot takes I don't want to deal with. Next weekend will be worse though if Solo underperforms.

I have also decided to check out for the time being. I think I’ll return a couple of weeks after solo haha. It’s very straining to try to explain trends and stuff there when there are so many fanboys who don’t listen to numbers haha 

Aside from no holiday boosts, I’d say “novelty” is another big luxury of DP that DP2 loses. So to be able to match the original opening weekend, that is pretty good. 

• Like 4