CJohn

DEADPOOL 2 WEEKEND THREAD | Spoilers = BANNED INTO OBLIVION | Dp2 125M and 300 WW debut...Asgard Sun update pg 123

21 minutes ago, Durden said:

These people are crazy.

Same problem as gotg2 imo, where it actually works better as a movie on a lot of levels by virtue of not being beholden to being an origin movie — BUT, it just doesn’t have the same novelty as the first entry did, so the overall experience can’t manage to hold up to what it was like watching the first one for the first time.

5 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Deadpool 2 crashing, must blame royal wedding , people were tired

Why did you push Miller out, Ryan? I bet you wanted this film all to yourself! :angry:

#releasethemillercut! 

Oh, wait. I remembered that he left before filming began

#makeamillercut!

Edited by LOGAN'sLuckyRun
  • Haha 1

@narniadis looks like your May 2007 comparisons could be very apt.

Can’t believe POTC:AWE has been holding onto the 4-day Memorial Day OW record for 11 years. If Solo’s presales not picking up to the pace of a SW movie soon, AWE gonna keep that record for another year.

• Like 4

Why is over 150M for JW:FK even a question of uncertainty in any way lol

Granted, there is not that big a sample size, but sequels to 200M+ megaopeners simply don’t drop that much. 

180M OW should be the low end for Fallen Kingdom.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Same problem as gotg2 imo, where it actually works better as a movie on a lot of levels by virtue of not being beholden to being an origin movie — BUT, it just doesn’t have the same novelty as the first entry did, so the overall experience can’t manage to hold up to what it was like watching the first one for the first time.

Reminds me of somebody in this thread knocking GOTG/Deadpool and made them yearn for the return of (quote) "sincere" movies without the jokes jokes jokes undercutting everything blah blah. 

And I thought for all the jokes rapid fired by both, they have sincere moments or stabs at them anyway albeit is one self-aware than the other about doing them. 

2 minutes ago, Sam said:

Why is over 150M for JW:FK even a question of uncertainty in any way lol

Granted, there is not that big a sample size, but sequels to 200M+ megaopeners simply don’t drop that much. 

180M OW should be the low end for Fallen Kingdom.

https://pro.boxoffice.com/long-range-tracking-hotel-transylvania-3-summer-vacation-skyscraper/

6/22/2018 Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom $130,000,000 -4% $327,500,000 -4%   Universal
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

https://pro.boxoffice.com/long-range-tracking-hotel-transylvania-3-summer-vacation-skyscraper/

6/22/2018 Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom $130,000,000 -4% $327,500,000 -4%   Universal

Oh. Yikes. 

Did Tele forecasted those numbers :P

I mean, haven’t we always treat boxofficepro ‘tracking’ more as predictions than actual trackings?

130M opening would be absolutely terrible for Fallen Kingdom.

Without the built-in fanbase like MCU and SW I think the JW2 opening dropping off is inevitable. JP to LW dropoff was big too. I feel like it will be similar to the Furious 7 > Fate dropoff, but not as extreme. 150-160M. But I really can't be sure, these types of movies are very difficult to track.

What is the hook to the general audience for Fallen Kingdom? It's not the first Jurassic movie in 15 years, nor does it have an open park - if anything, it seems like a Lost World rehash. What makes it a "must see?" These are the questions in my mind. 

13 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Without the built-in fanbase like MCU and SW I think the JW2 opening dropping off is inevitable. JP to LW dropoff was big too. I feel like it will be similar to the Furious 7 > Fate dropoff, but not as extreme. 150-160M. But I really can't be sure, these types of movies are very difficult to track.

Well Ultron fell $164m domestically from Avengers.

I think everyone would be fine with that for Fallen Kingdom. 

We’ve never really seen something like JW2 to make any real guess. The 208m opening of JW was fueled by nostalgia and great WOM by the GA. There was no real hook for a sequel, the nostalgia is gone, and the overall reception has fallen off quite a bit for that movie. It could hang on to a 170m-180m opening, but it could also fall off a cliff.

going off the overall domestic drop from Jurassic Park to Lost world and transferring that to OW, JW2 gets about 135m. A 70m drop off does seem high, so I’d peg it around 150-160m for now. 

18.2% jump from true Friday vs 22.8% for DP1. That's fine as a sequel and that DP1 Sat evening/nights would have benefited from VD on Sunday. Needs 13% drop on Sunday for 130 so that ship's sailed. 25% drop gives 125 ow.

53.3+41+30.7(-25.1%)=125

1 hour ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Deadpool 2 crashing, must blame royal wedding , people were tired

If the wedding had an impact, it should have an impact to more than one movie. The female orientated probably more, plus only for daytime shows.