Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

In case anyone was curious, OD:total multis for Disney Star Wars are:    

TFA — 7.86 (great reception, winter release)     

RO — 7.49 (good reception, winter release)   

TLJ — 5.92 (divisive reception, winter release)        

Solo looks to have better reception than TLJ, but maybe not better than RO, and it has the worst release date by a lot.  OTOH, smaller absolute numbers should help with the multi. But still, it will likely end up in the 5.5-7.5 range or so, which would give 176-240 off a 32M OD.

2 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Yes, 90% sarcastic. :Venom:

But let's wait a bit to see if Solo qualifies as a domestic flop. (OS, well, better not mention it)

It’s a flop for a SW movie unless it starts legging it out like Wonder Woman.

MCU is weird though because it’s kind of one franchise but also kind of many franchises.  There’s plenty of people who’ll go see Thor, or Spidey but have no interest in Ant-Man.

In a way we’re seeing this with Solo too.  It’s detached and the least Star Warsy of the movies.  I could see this flopping but people being willing to go see Episode 9 in two years.  They better come up with an invigorating marketing campaign though for that one.

1 minute ago, A2k Raptor said:

Solo needs only 210 dom for the 4 Disney SWs to average 575 Dom :redcapes:

937+532+621+210 = 2300

Unless episode IX has an awesome story hook sub-200 opening is probably happening. EC might have been on the money with 175 OW/575 DOM.

Just now, Jandrew said:

Can someone without hyperbole, a stupid head emoji, or sarcasm tell me WHY this numbers are being seen as so bad? It's a Han Solo spinoff six months away from another Star Wars movie. I'm getting the feeling that yall act like Star Wars is entitled. SW is the Lebron James of cinema. If this makes mid $200m or so, why is that seen as so bad?

250m budget 

terrible overseas numbers 

what more do you need?

• Like 1

Just now, Jandrew said:

Can someone without hyperbole, a stupid head emoji, or sarcasm tell me WHY this numbers are being seen as so bad? It's a Han Solo spinoff six months away from another Star Wars movie. I'm getting the feeling that yall act like Star Wars is entitled. SW is the Lebron James of cinema. If this makes mid $200m or so, why is that seen as so bad?

Because it was tracking at $170M with the possibility of hitting over $200M not even a month ago. Couple that with its $250M budget and well yea any other film would be called a bomb too regardless of anything else. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jandrew said:

It's going to make like 440M WW on a 300M budget

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

let's say solo is trying to grow a mustache. the closer it is to the lip the more it recovers it's budget. then after all the anticipation it comes back with this

Cnjlek5.jpg

Edited by A2k Raptor
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Okay, so the budget was too high and overseas didn't show up, got it. Was mainly talking about domestic though. The attitude around here not too long ago felt like "$400M or nothing fam. It's Star Wars."

Just now, Jandrew said:

Okay, so the budget was too high and overseas didn't show up, got it. Was mainly talking about domestic though. The attitude around here not too long ago felt like "$400M or nothing fam. It's Star Wars."

It also might not even get to 200M dom with that Fri number

3 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

Part of it is due to budget, with it being rumoured so high due to reshoots etc. 

Part of it is due to the fact that Star Wars is, well, Star Wars. The franchise used to be the giant that towered over all giants. Now its seen as a giant among giants, and a blip in their overall box office reputation is naturally seen as something to discuss. 

Overseas isn't doing super well at all either, so the movie needed to do something domestically to turn a profit.

4 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

The audience reviews for this are so ugly in general; way worse than the usual internet sewage.

I'm starting to understand Tele, I'm getting a bit tired of certain corners of the internet myself.

Jeremy Jahns is a huge Star Wars nerd.

Wears his SW bed sheets he had as a kid during most SW reviews as a cape.

He fucking hated Solo. He actually enjoyed shitting on it, he was so salty.

He claims the movie makes the cardinal sin of being boring.

That's when I knew it was doomed.

1 minute ago, Jandrew said:

Domestic is still terrible though... sub200 is Thor/Cap/Ant 1 territory. 

Just now, Jandrew said:

it could do 450-500 ww on a 250-300 prod budget. ro as a spin-off was bigly with 500+ each dom and os. solo is an iconic character and this was a disney tentpole tracking at 140-170 recently.

7 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Repetition is a brainwashing technique.

If you think corporate marketing don't know how to condition the masses, well I guess you shouldn't take any marketing courses in college.

The movie is okay but the song is awful.

Why didn't anyone notice?

why didn't people notice your opinion? idk did you make sure to post enough about it?

24 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Variety saying 32M OD.

That would be a 17.9M True Friday (PotC 5 had a 18.05M True Friday)

So if it follows this it's Opening WEEK will be below 100M:

Previews: 14.1M

T Friday: 17.9M

Saturday: 20M (+11.7%)

Sunday: 18.5M (-7.5%) (70.5M 3-D-OW)

Monday: 15M  (-18.9%) (85.5M 4-D-OW)

Tuesday: 6.5M (-56.7%)

Wednesday: 4M (-38.5%)

Thursday: 3.25M (-18.8%) (99.25M OW)

That would mean a total of 170 (2.41x) to 200M (2.83)

Okay, this is to low... This can't be happening.

Because this with a slightly worse Os share than RO:

160-190M OS 

For a total of 330M to 390M (Okay this would both be below the Dom OW of TFA, 11-Day total of TLJ, 15-Day total of RO, below Dom of TFA, TLJ, TPM, SW, RO and probably below RotS and barely above AtoC at worst)

I can't really believe that though

Edited by Taruseth