Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

His last few movies flopping is hardly his fault though. The Dilemma was a poorly-reviewed comedy with an unfunny marketing campaign, Rush was good but had little commercial appeal, In the Heart of the Sea cost twice as much as it should have and received mediocre reviews, Inferno was a sequel that literally nobody was asking for, and Solo was always an unnecessary project (that he only ended up on board with just to make sure it was finished). I'm sure the right project will come his way sooner or later.

Except for Heart of the sea there is no flop in that list too.

Rush was a nice success in the F1 relevant markets, made more than 2.5 time it's budget and I think a solid home video run.

He (and Hanks and others) accepted a massive pay cut and to let away their first dollar gross point on Inferno because Angel&Demon lost the studio money and book sales prospect showed an expected huge drop for the next one that was cancelled.

Sony estimated Inferno break even point at 219.8m WW when they thought the movie would cost 90m net, a surprising much better exchange rate turned the actual cost closer to a rumored 75m net, it still almost tripled it's budget at the box office, a small profit would not even be surprising for it even with that abyssal domestic run.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

I think Deadpool is playing a small role in X-Force based on what Ryan said. I think they'll include him in it just to add more interest in the film. However I do think it's smart of them to wait on DP3 and do an X-Force film just so they can give folks a bit of a rest from Deadpool in general. And I wouldn't be surprised if that's why they're holding back on DP3. Well that and also the merger. 

And i know. Deadpool 2 was great but I always get worried when it comes to Disney. They could see the decline in BO and then using that as an excuse to not make movies with the character anymore OR make movies with the character but without Reynolds 

I don’t think so. If anything they’ll just revert these movies back to a more chill release date. Jumping into mid-May was clearly a suicide mission that we all saw a mile away. Fox just didn’t really have much of a choice this year with the World Cup and the merger approaching soon. 

I think a budget of $130m for an X-Force movie makes sense and is realistic. And DP2 was well received so fans are still on board. They just need to put it in a month where the GA isn’t recovering from a $257m OW monster lol 

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Lot of candidate:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_box_office_bombs

But Pluto Nash not reaching 10m at the world box office is a special one.

Heaven Gates is one of the most important one and arguably the biggest, didn't just killed it's studio and the director career but participated with a couple of other title to the destruction of the auteur movement of new Hollywood of the 70s, studio getting back into controlling movies.

Good post, heaven’s gate basically changed the movie industry forever. :whosad:

• Like 2

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

I find Deadpool 2's performance to be ambiguous so far after the 66% Holiday drop coming off of an opening that was 10mil lower than expected. Like what are the long term prospects for Deadpool? I'm curious.

I think DP1's breakout success was a combination of factors...

-Novelty

-First R-Rated blockbuster since... I dunno, but it had been a while

-First blockbuster since Force Awakens

-Strong high concept and easy-to-follow storyline (DP2 is fair bit more convoluted)

I don't really see the audience caring about X-Force, and the merge is coming. Just greenlight DP3 with a similar budget to DP2.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

I think he'll have a say but I'm not sure it'll be as big of a say as he had for DP2. 

I have faith in the X-Force film being good because of who is working on it. My main worry is just overspending which for a lot of these films is why they end up barely making profit or missing completely. 

Anything $150m or less is fine. I don’t see what on earth they would need to require more than that. 

25 minutes ago, Nova said:

People are talking about Solo and rightfully so but I'm actually interested in seeing how Fox handles X-Force. Deadpool 2 saw a massive decline from the first but it's still profitable because it's budget isn't too high compared to other CBM. I'm wondering if Fox was planning to give X-Force a bigger budget that they change their mind now seeing the results from DP2. If they're smart they would otherwise that movie won't be as profitable as they originally thought it would be. 

In terms of solo films, I do wonder if DP2 underperforming relative to the first gives Kevin Feige and Iger an out to not use the character when the Disney merger occurs :thinking:

Look to the budget of the X-Men 6 after Apocalypse  - $178m budget / $543m WW (a $200m+ WW drop from DOFP)

As for the under performance it might affect how Disney approaches it but they might have only done one more solo anyway.   Iron Man only has 3 solos and the last made $1.2b

Edited by TalismanRing

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Holy fucking shit, so was Solo really confirmed to have a 300m budget then?

You really rarely have a studio movie in house production budget being confirmed, they write reported in the sentence for a reason ;)

• Like 3

Just now, Rebeccas said:

I don’t think so. If anything they’ll just revert these movies back to a more chill release date. Jumping into mid-May was clearly a suicide mission that we all saw a mile away. Fox just didn’t really have much of a choice this year with the World Cup and the merger approaching soon. 

I think a budget of $130m for an X-Force movie makes sense and is realistic. And DP2 was well received so fans are still on board. They just need to put it in a month where the GA isn’t recovering from a $257m OW monster lol 

I think you're right. I'm interested to see where they release X-Force. I think that's when we will see if Fox learned their lesson from DP2 lol 2019 is so damn crowded though. If I were them I would look at early 2020 and give it a similar release date as the original Deadpool. Then again February of 2020 probably already has some huge CBM that I'm unaware of right now 

• Like 1

Just now, Barnack said:

Except for Heart of the see there is no flop in that list too.

Rush was a nice success in the F1 relevant markets, made more than 2.5 time it's budget and I think a solid home video run.

He (and Hanks and others) accepted a massive pay cut and to let away their first dollar gross point on Inferno because Angel&Demon lost the studio money and book sales prospect showed an expected huge drop for the next one that was cancelled.

Sony estimated Inferno break even point at 219.8m WW when they thought the movie would cost 90m net, a surprising much better exchange rate turned the actual cost closer to a rumored 75m net, almost tripled it's budget at the box office.

Rush was funded by a lot of companies IIRC Universal only had US distribution as Studiocanal handled it and sold most of the OS rights

Just now, Barnack said:

You really rarely have a studio movie in house production budget being confirmed, they write reported in the sentence for a reason ;)

Even still, I thought reports were saying 250? Where did they get 300 reports? 

2 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Deadpool: Homecoming

Homecoming was a July release and thus had July weekdays and it was a family film, which Deadpool 2 is not. Homecoming didn't drop 66% over a Holiday weekend. Of course Deadpool 2 can and will recover to a certain degree but I think post M-Day drops are always pretty big.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Anything $150m or less is fine. I don’t see what on earth they would need to require more than that. 

See but I think $150M is way too much and would not lead to profit for the studio. I think they really need to find a way to keep it under $130M but I'm not sure how you do that with a team up film 

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

WIT was totally made for US market. Nothing spells pandering to dom market like Oprah. So why are they surprised that the movie tanked OS? The book wasn't exactly worldwide phenomenon unlike HP/Twilight/50 Shades. It was bound to happen. 

Surprised ? They pretty much cancelled the release in many market, they knew all that.

• Like 1

Just now, Nova said:

See but I think $150M is way too much and would not lead to profit for the studio. I think they really need to find a way to keep it under $130M but I'm not sure how you do that with a team up film 

$150m is pretty bog standard for a tentpole and it would still make money even if it did $550-600m

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Homecoming was a July release and thus had July weekdays and it was a family film, which Deadpool 2 is not. Homecoming didn't drop 66% over a Holiday weekend. Of course Deadpool 2 can and will recover to a certain degree but I think post M-Day drops are always pretty big.

Godzilla had similar drops and they're making a Godzilla team up movie. The franchise is going to be fine. Even if the movies only make $500M WW they're still going to turn a profit since they don't cost so much. 

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Once the Fox merger goes through, Disney will make the obvious choice with Deadpool and cross it over/integrate it with the Toy Story franchise. Problem solved. 

Leaked screenshot of Deadpool 3

screenshot-277.png

Edited by LOGAN'sLuckyRun
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6