Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

3 hours ago, baumer said:

So Deadpool is the biggest superhero franchise for FOX and you think Disney will want to concentrate more on Fantastic Four and X-men?  Why?  Do I really need to post the grosses for all the X-men and FF movies?

A comedic bit usually playout faster no ? That could be a reason, also hard to imagine Deadpool work without Reynolds he worked hard to make sure on that.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Istealnames said:

Can anyone explain to me why the trades like DHD, Forbes, HR, Variety bend over backwards to spin Disney flops so positively? Be it AWIT with the this movie was unfilmable it did good for what it did, to now equating Solo with Antman or Thor 1 or The Good Dinosaur.

They seem clearly doing damage control FOR the studio, do they get any kickbacks from that? Is it for access to scoops? Why exactly do they behave like this?

You noticed that too? The almost obsessive defense of Disney flops from the entertainment media makes me sick.

9 minutes ago, Nova said:

It's not a flop. It's a BOMB. 

Yes, it is...it's almost unfair to JL to compare it to Solo b/c JL outgrossed it by $10M+ on its OW, which didn't have a holiday bump...

JL is no longer the prime example of a mega-franchise disaster - Solo is...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Istealnames said:

Can anyone explain to me why the trades like DHD, Forbes, HR, Variety bend over backwards to spin Disney flops so positively? Be it AWIT with the this movie was unfilmable it did good for what it did, to now equating Solo with Antman or Thor 1 or The Good Dinosaur.

They seem clearly doing damage control FOR the studio, do they get any kickbacks from that? Is it for access to scoops? Why exactly do they behave like this?

Just look at the difference between them comparing Solo's bomb OW to DP2's big second weekend drop. One is positively spun and the other is seen as an end of the world I can't believe it tumbled that much even though both should be treated the same. But you said it yourself. It's damage control from the studio. 

I don't hate Star Wars but I can't help feeling a sense of relief that Disney now has a material justification for not pushing out new films every year. Pop culture is boring when you just have the same old franchises to look forward to. I might feel the same way if a Marvel or Harry Potter, or heck, even a Pixar franchise disappointed.

2 minutes ago, Istealnames said:

I have no idea what the interest is. I remember when The Mummy bombed last year they were quick with that article blaming it on Cruise. lol   Maybe they have their favorites.  deadline was spinning for weinstein movies not so long ago

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Damn, that Tweet from Howard is just saaaaaaad. The man was really expecting this to be his biggest success by a long shot wasn't he? 

Howard seems like one of the few actual good guys in Hollywood. It's not his fault that Solo flopped.

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

You noticed that too? The almost obsessive defense of Disney flops from the entertainment media makes me sick.

Disney bullied that one trade out of a Last Jedi screening because they were reporting unethical practices at Disneyland, right? Until they relented due to bad press. Still, I imagine these trades want to stay on Disney's good side as much as possible.

13 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

The funny thing is, Marvel has already done this. Multiple times. But each time they catch their feet and make films that put the MCU on a whole new level quality wise.

Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2 ---> The Avengers

Iron Man 3, Thor 2   -----> Cap 2, GOTG

Its not exact since there were films between IM2 and Avengers but it does show that Feige knows you gotta keep people on their toes or they will quickly tire of these movies. And since he got unchained from the committee and Perlmutter, the MCU has been on a unparalleled level of quality and success unseen of in the franchise world of films.

Wow Iron Man 3 sure made a lot of money for a flop! 

6 minutes ago, harrycaul said:

Even though he's made a ton of shit films in the past and he's still thrown around as a talented and respected veteran in the industry, I have to feel kinda bad for Ron Howard, cause this whole debacle shouldn't be placed on him. Wom on Solo is actually not awful overall, and considering how little time he had to fix the mess that the Kennedy/Lord/Miller trio created, that's kinda impressive on its own right. Imagine if the film was in fact a pile of trash like it could've been in its circumstances... could've maybe done even worse than it did.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I feel bad for Ron Howard.

Don't, man CASHED IN on a desperate studio, collected his bag and made a movie that's perfectly fine

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rebeccas said:

Wow Iron Man 3 sure made a lot of money for a flop! 

Only over a billion dollars. But of course that's flop money compared to what MCU movies are making in 2018 :ph34r:

Just now, Chewy said:

Don't, man CASHED IN on a desperate studio, collected his bag and made a movie that's perfectly fine

And will now probably be thrown under the bus for failing to "save" Solo and good luck to him if he wants to land another franchise project now. 

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

And will now probably be thrown under the bus for failing to "save" Solo and good luck to him if he wants to land another franchise project now. 

He's Ron Howard he'll be fine. Any studio gig he wants is his

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1