Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

2 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Wait there are people who don't think this is a massive flop?   Look, even if you are the biggest Star Wars stan in the world this is a flop.  Let it be.

It's not a flop. It's a BOMB. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Sam said:

The quick downward trajectory after just 3.5 years is what alarming. It is definitely an interesting weekend at Disney/Lucasfilm right now. 

JJ Abrams and Boba Fett gonna save the day

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

But most people watch movies at home than in theater (well maybe that is less true for giant box office success, but probably still true)

Awaken was on Netflix, around that time you had around 45-50m Netflix account in the US, with 2.5 viewer by account average that 115-125m people, the same will be true for all around the world.

Nice that you are now pulling figures out of thin air, and they are still not comparable.

2 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Yes,   fuck Disney.  They have done a terrible job with this Star Wars universe.  For everything they did right for Marvel they've done wrong for Star Wars and now the nostalgia is wearing off and people are finally seeing these pieces of trash for what they are. 

Laughable.

• Haha 1

That a vocal minority skewed the narrative of the well-reviewed and mostly well-received The Last Jedi so that its $1.33bgross was viewed as a failure didn’t help. Nor did the online narrative around Rian Johnson’s sequel being that it disappointed fans by being too different/bold/unconventional or too “politically correct”.

Let’s play worst-case-scenario ball here and presume that Solo makes exactly $543.2 million worldwide

Is Scott Mendelson really that dumb or they just paid him to write this?

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

Cancel Mangold! Let JJ Abrams direct the Boba Fett movie too, just to be sure. 

Can’t wait for more John Harrison/Rey Skywalker mystery boxes. JJ Abrams will top himself. 

• Like 1

The MCU comparisons don't really work. The Avengers films are superhero movies that bring together stand alone characters. The first Avengers film which was the first of its kind worked terrifically. The second not so much. But the third added Black Panther and Guardians and had the overarching Thanos storyline. One thing the MCU films have not done is completely screw up. Thy have a formula and stick to it.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, FantasticBeasts said:

Am I the only one who is not buying that media are so trying to make Solo look like less of a disaster simply because they are SW fanboys??

Disney back at it again...:ph34r:

giphy.gif

May as well let them while they still can. In a few weeks when it's nearly done making money there will be no way to spin the numbers anymore. 

People are talking about Solo and rightfully so but I'm actually interested in seeing how Fox handles X-Force. Deadpool 2 saw a massive decline from the first but it's still profitable because it's budget isn't too high compared to other CBM. I'm wondering if Fox was planning to give X-Force a bigger budget that they change their mind now seeing the results from DP2. If they're smart they would otherwise that movie won't be as profitable as they originally thought it would be. 

In terms of solo films, I do wonder if DP2 underperforming relative to the first gives Kevin Feige and Iger an out to not use the character when the Disney merger occurs :thinking:

• Like 1

I swear there must be some imbalanced dark magic or something at Disney for Marvel to put out two movies that average 1.6B between them in three months time, only for Star Wars to bomb spectacularly.

Edited by Mekanos

Can anyone explain to me why the trades like DHD, Forbes, HR, Variety bend over backwards to spin Disney flops so positively? Be it AWIT with the this movie was unfilmable it did good for what it did, to now equating Solo with Antman or Thor 1 or The Good Dinosaur.

They seem clearly doing damage control FOR the studio, do they get any kickbacks from that? Is it for access to scoops? Why exactly do they behave like this?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Chewy said:

I'd be surprised if the Fett movie doesn't quietly fall into development hell as I can't see Disney outright backing down and canceling it.

4 hours ago, RealLyre said:

And Anyone who thinks a sub 700M WW gross for Deadpool 2 is good needs to look at the gross of other superhero movies.

Look great ?

WW-China box office of recent SH movies:

Wonder Woman: 730m

Thor 3 : 744m

Homecoming: 768m

Guardian of the galaxy: 690m

Guardian of the galaxy 2: 762m

All much more expensive than a Deadpool movie all the listed above giant success that will lead to giant sequels.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2