Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

3 hours ago, Frozen said:

Who holds the record for biggest bomb all time? John Carter? Could Solo break that record?

Lot of candidate:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_box_office_bombs

But Pluto Nash not reaching 10m at the world box office is a special one (even the Promise reached that and that is the only giant budget movie ever that didn't try to make money).

Heaven Gates is one of the most important one and arguably the biggest, didn't just killed it's studio and the director career but participated with a couple of other title (but was the face of those small group of giant failure) to the destruction of the auteur movement of new Hollywood of the 70s, studio getting back into controlling movies.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

Who would have thought that Fox's R-rated CBM would be their most successful 5 years ago 

:sparta:

But low key I dont trust Fox if they're too involved in the making of the movie. From my understanding it's not the same team behind Deadpool that's doing X-Force so I can see them throwing a shit ton of money at the movie and the people behind X-Force accepting it which imo would be a recipe for disaster as the reason why these R-rated films are successful is cause their budgets are lowered 

I would hope Ryan still has a firm say in things since this is his baby. I know DP2 budget was the reason Tim Miller left so.. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Jonwo said:

I imagine Disney will make sure this doesn't happen again, I imagine Indiana Jones is safe because of Spielberg's involvement and the fact it's likely Harrison Ford's last film as Indy so people will see that no matter what.

I think it would be good for SW to take a break after Episode IX, maybe 2-3 years then relaunch with Obi-Wan.

Spielberg's involvement is my biggest worry with Indy 5. If we get another Crystal Skull out of that movie, nostalgia won't save it this time. 

2 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I think 21th Century Fox would want to cheap the fuck out of X-Force, and I'm honestly still not sure if X-Force is the right way to go right now. I want Deadpool 3 instead of X-Force, and I'm not even sure if I want Deadpool as an X-Force member, let alone leader. 

As for Feige and Iger usage of Reynolds Deadpool once the merge occurs: RELAX. Reynolds Deadpool isn't going anywhere else BUT the MCU. Deadpool 2 is a great film plagued with a bad release date. I'm sure that both Feige and Iger can obviously tell that. 

I think Deadpool is playing a small role in X-Force based on what Ryan said. I think they'll include him in it just to add more interest in the film. However I do think it's smart of them to wait on DP3 and do an X-Force film just so they can give folks a bit of a rest from Deadpool in general. And I wouldn't be surprised if that's why they're holding back on DP3. Well that and also the merger. 

And i know. Deadpool 2 was great but I always get worried when it comes to Disney. They could see the decline in BO and then using that as an excuse to not make movies with the character anymore OR make movies with the character but without Reynolds 

1 minute ago, tribefan695 said:

I'm sure Howard is a stand up dude who's great to have a beer with, but he hasn't exactly been James Cameron this decade even excepting this movie. I loved Rush, but that's his one good film and none of the rest have been hits either.

None of that matters. Studios like working with him, he's amiable and won't cause issues and he'll deliver what he's asked to deliver. He will catch exactly zero blowback here

Btw James Cameron ain't been James Cameron this decade either since he hasn't made a movie

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

Just now, Jonwo said:

I think it would be good for SW to take a break after Episode IX, maybe 2-3 years then relaunch with Obi-Wan.

I agree with this, but, unless Episode 9 crashes and burns, Disney won't take a break from making Star Wars films. 

4 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Re-read my post and the post I quoted.

Bad/divisive  /=  flop or a bomb

Quality /= huge hit

Even though IM3 was divisive for MCU fans, it did a lot for Marvel overseas and established IM as the worlds favorite superhero. 

• Like 1

• Community Manager
Just now, Litio said:

Nice try.

Cleopatra was a bigger failure than Solo. Among franchises, I'd say Superman IV was a way bigger failure: so much so it killed the Superman franchise for almost 20 years.

Superman III adjusted to $174 million. Superman IV adjusts to...$36 million. That's how badly that movie did.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Oh absolutely. Disney has done tons of shady shit. They're a corporation after all. 

Who lifted the veil on the park performers dressed up as Disney characters? I read that those performers are miserable having to wear oversized costumes in heat for chump change.

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Spielberg's involvement is my biggest worry with Indy 5. If we get another Crystal Skull out of that movie, nostalgia won't save it this time. 

Most of Crystal Skull's issues were due to George Lucas. I imagine Spielberg and Harrison Ford want to make the swansong end on a great note.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

None of that matters. Studios like working with him, he's amiable and won't cause issues and he'll deliver what he's asked to deliver. He will catch exactly zero blowback here

Btw James Cameron ain't been James Cameron this decade either since he hasn't made a movie

That may be true, just stop treating him like a sick puppy

I find Deadpool 2's performance to be ambiguous so far after the 66% Holiday drop coming off of an opening that was 10mil lower than expected. Like what are the long term prospects for the Deadpool franchise ? I'm curious.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

2 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

I would hope Ryan still has a firm say in things since this is his baby. I know DP2 budget was the reason Tim Miller left so.. 

I think he'll have a say but I'm not sure it'll be as big of a say as he had for DP2. 

I have faith in the X-Force film being good because of who is working on it. My main worry is just overspending which for a lot of these films is why they end up barely making profit or missing completely. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Water Bottle said:

Cleopatra was a bigger failure than Solo. Among franchises, I'd say Superman IV was a way bigger failure: so much so it killed the Superman franchise for almost 20 years.

Superman III adjusted to $174 million. Superman IV adjusts to...$36 million. That's how badly that movie did.

Superman IV should be the example of why being cheap doesn't work. 

Cleopatra oddly was very successful at the box office, it was number 1 film that year but the budget meant it could never make a profit, they simply spent too much money.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I said this before but no one really answered. Would Disney have lost more or less money if they saved Solo for their first big exclusive on their streaming service? 

I'm sure I have no idea, but there's 0% chance that would have ever happened in any alternate universe in a billion years, so why bother going there? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I find Deadpool 2's performance to be ambiguous so far after the 66% Holiday drop coming off of an opening that was 10mil lower than expected. Like what are the long term prospects for Deadpool? I'm curious.

Deadpool: Homecoming

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1