Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

8 minutes ago, REC said:

In order for the MCU to bomb they’d need to make 2-3 bad or divisive movies in a row.  Since they aren’t doing that, none of their new movies will bomb.

Past behavior by a film series, studio or production company is not a mandatory pre-condition for a film to bomb. If that's your reasoning for why one of the upcoming Marvel films will not bomb, then you have some traumatic surprises ahead of you.

5 minutes ago, Slambros said:

Wait a minute -- Solo has basically grossed just about as much in its domestic OW as The Lone Ranger did in its domestic total. This is certainly not a flop on that kind of level. This is a mere disappointment compared to those films.

The budget for Solo is around $300 million. Lone Ranger had a budget of $170 million. That is the difference. 

• Astonished 2

8 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Is this the worst bomb in history? There are probably a handful of bigger money losers but in terms of a major franchise putting out a mega budget entry that falls into a volcano

Like, three billion $ grossers to this, is there any comparison?

No. I have mentioned it before here. This is the greatest implosion I have ever witnessed of a major franchise.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

His last few movies flopping is hardly his fault though. The Dilemma was a poorly-reviewed comedy with an unfunny marketing campaign, Rush was good but had little commercial appeal, In the Heart of the Sea cost twice as much as it should have and received mediocre reviews, Inferno was a sequel that literally nobody was asking for, and Solo was always an unnecessary project (that he only ended up on board with just to make sure it was finished). I'm sure the right project will come his way sooner or later.

So what WOULD be his fault?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Biggestgeekever said:

Alice 2 falling all the way $300M WW is about the only comparison out there.

That's a really good comparison I think, thx

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, REC said:

It’s not the status of the property that matters.  MCU has built up a ton of unknowns into big stars in movies that are big hits.

In order for the MCU to bomb they’d need to make 2-3 bad or divisive movies in a row.  Since they aren’t doing that, none of their new movies will bomb.

But a bad cap marvel movie could cause problems.

The funny thing is, Marvel has already done this. Multiple times. But each time they catch their feet and make films that put the MCU on a whole new level quality wise.

Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2 ---> The Avengers

Iron Man 3, Thor 2   -----> Cap 2, GOTG

Its not exact since there were films between IM2 and Avengers but it does show that Feige knows you gotta keep people on their toes or they will quickly tire of these movies. And since he got unchained from the committee and Perlmutter, the MCU has been on a unparalleled level of quality and success unseen of in the franchise world of films.

Edited by eddyxx
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, GirafficPark said:

Where are you getting your figures from? One Youtube video? There are more sources than that. Music videos regularly get hundreds of millions of views, sometimes billions over months, even Titanic only sold 135M tickets DOM. Theatre movie runs arent a big thing any more, even games out gross movies these days.

But most people watch movies at home than in theater (well maybe that is less true for giant box office success, but probably still true)

Awaken was on Netflix, around that time you had around 45-50m Netflix account in the US, with 2.5 viewer by account average that 115-125m people, the same will be true for all around the world.

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

No. I have mentioned it before here. This is the greatest implosion I have ever witnessed of a major franchise.

People spent so long saying the next Marvel movie would flop, they forgot to look at Disney's other franchise

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

You may find out soon. With two lesser properties on the schedule in the next five months, I'd say it is likely, if not highly probable, one or both films bomb.

Yeah o.k now watch captain marvel do a billion and AATW 700+ million. :hahaha:

• Haha 1

The quick downward trajectory after just 3.5 years is what alarming. It is definitely an interesting weekend at Disney/Lucasfilm right now. 

• Like 3

Just now, eddyxx said:

The funny thing is, Marvel has already done this. Multiple times. But each time they catch their feet and make films that put the MCU on a whole new level quality wise.

Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2 ---> The Avengers

Iron Man 3, Thor 2   -----> Cap 2, GOTG

Its not exact since there were films between IM2 and Avengers but it does show that Feige knows you gotta keep people on your toes or they will quickly tire of these movies. And since he got unchained from the committee and Perlmutter, the MCU has been on a unparalleled level of quality and success unseen of in the franchise world of films.

None of those movies were really bad or divisive though... at worst they got "meh" reaction. There has been nothing like Man Of Steel or Suicide Squad. And Iron Man 3 made 1.2 billion dollars, not exactly franchise falling numbers.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

It certainly tests the limits of what all of us who follow box office believe to be possible. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Honestly I am against passionately rooting for any film to fail but it is hypocritical for this forum to be preaching such stuff after the excessive mockery that JL received. At this point it's double standards.

Yes,   fuck Disney.  They have done a terrible job with this Star Wars universe.  For everything they did right for Marvel they've done wrong for Star Wars and now the nostalgia is wearing off and people are finally seeing these pieces of trash for what they are. 

• Like 2