Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

• Community Manager
7 minutes ago, LaughingEvans said:

That's my take from all identity politics and from the obvious marketing strategy that KK based on them. If you missed them, I can provide a few examples.

Of course, when the writers are imposed to such policies, quality of writing comes second, that's why we got Rose, Holdo etc. And the(ir) media follows, as obliged. I would need to pull off an all-nighter to count all the articles that went like "Here's our identity politics, and that's a good thing"-same attitude as yours when you claimed that whoever disagrees with you is a bigot.

Even more ironic, for years now it's been proven that you don't need to resort to such bullshit policies in order to create quality female or minority characters, J.Cameron, R.Scott and many others for example have done that time and time again, but I guess it couldn't get you any votes back then so we conveniently forgot about them.

tl;dr: I don't like identity politics in movies because it hinders good character writing.

Sounds to me like you don't like that the main characters in TFA and TLJ are a woman and a black man. Or that they included an Asian woman in TLJ. That's all I get from this post: that they should have made a straight white male the lead. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 2

9 hours ago, baumer said:

Yes, make it over something else.  You're just trying to fan the flames now.  

Oh, come on! I get it with marvel and DC but wth? These are two very similar franchises. 

Just now, James said:

How? Even if it increases DOM it would need a bump OS and that is not happening at this point.

I hope you're right I haven't actually put much thought into the specifics, just seems as though the finale will have a little bump...

The reason I hope for sws9 to suck and bomb is so that they do a re-reboot and I can like Star Wars again (sucked since TFA)

3 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Speaking of Pitch Perfect 2, that OW increase will always remain absurd. +1,300% over its predecessor. Doubt we ever see anything like that again. 

Pitch Perfect was released in platform, it didn't go wide till the second weekend.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, James said:

Oh, come on! I get it with marvel and DC but wth? These are two very similar franchises. 

And one comes out 18 months from now.  And what's the point of doing it James?  So you can get a bunch of people go into the thread and harp on SW for another 18 months?  

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Speaking of Pitch Perfect 2, that OW increase will always remain absurd. +1,300% over its predecessor. Doubt we ever see anything like that again. 

wait until The Greatest 2howman opens 

• Thanks 1
  • Astonished 2

Just now, Water Bottle said:

Sounds to me like you don't like that the main characters in TFA and TLJ are a woman and a black man. Or that they included an Asian woman in TLJ. That's all I get from this post: that they should have made a straight white male the lead. 

Nah, Rey and Boyega are decent. At least they don't feel forced.

But if that's all you get, then I can't help you. It's common nowadays for people to use the strawman argument, I just have to accept it and move on.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LaughingEvans said:

Of course, when the writers are imposed to such policies, quality of writing comes second, that's why we got Rose, Holdo etc. And the(ir) media follows, as obliged. I would need to pull off an all-nighter to count all the articles that went like "Here's our identity politics, and that's a good thing"-same attitude as yours when you claimed that whoever disagrees with you is a bigot.

tl;dr: I don't like identity politics in movies because it hinders good character writing.

That is such a load of bull. Make Rose a white man and give him all the same lines and character development. It changes nothing in the film, apart from introducing an actual gay character in the SW universe. The same goes for Holdo. Her race and gender are completely irrelevant to the film. Poe still would have disrespected Holdo and disobeyed orders if Holdo had been a white man. He still would have crashed into Ren's ship. In the modern Hollywood world, screenwriting quality is completely independent of these identity politics which you falsely believe exist.

Old gender roles and racial stereotypes are no longer applicable in this latest round of SW movies; but you seem to be clamoring for them as you think the writing would be better if SW was still dominated by white men. Everything is interchangeable now and that poses a problem for people like you who want movie characters to follow archaic, cookie-cutter outlines that exist only in the fantasyland of intolerant viewers.

Just now, LaughingEvans said:

Nah, Rey and Boyega are decent. At least they don't feel forced.

But if that's all you get, then I can't help you. It's common nowadays for people to use the strawman argument, I just have to accept it and move on.

are you saying that the films would've been more well-written if the films replaced the women/black people with straight white males?

• Haha 1