Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

Just now, Nova said:

Just when I think it couldn't get worse. It does. 

:winomg:

Like I have no idea how to even contribute to the discussion going on in this thread, at the moment. 

For example:

"Deadpools drop might be bad, but its not as bad as some of your arguments here lol."

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

And now I will say something positive about Solo:

RT audience rating has just gone up to fresh. 

Everything that I've seen from people that have actually seen the movie indicates that it's a real crowd-pleaser.

3 hours ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Or maybe because these characters are shit and so are the actors portraying them. Disney couldn’t  find an actor with 1% of the charisma of a young Samuel Jackson or a Sigourney  Weaver or even a billy dee Williams for the new Star Wars films . Hell, people are also complaining about how bland the guy playing solo is and that’s as white as they come. Fact, the actors in the new Star Wars films suck and all the money the new movies earned are on the back of Harrison Ford and mark Hamill. 

Although I disagree that all the new actors suck, I do see where you are coming from.  I personally think Boyega is terrific and and Ridley have great chemistry together.  Unfortunately they split those two up in TLJ.  I didn't personally care for Rose, the story line or the actress, but that has nothing to do with her being Asian.  I do think there has been some casting issues.  Solo's lead isn't one of them.  In fact, I thought he was quite good.  I thought Donald Glover was way over praised and he didn't have nearly the charisma that BDW did.  

So I disagree that all of the new actors suck but I do agree that some of them could have been better.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, REC said:

And top critic consensus is rotten, 59%.

It's another film propped up by fanboy critics. I've said that before but it's worth repeating. Solo always seemed like a project being propped up by fanboys. They don't know what to do with themselves now that it has flopped.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Celedhring said:

Yeah, I fail to see the politics being shoved down in this incarnation of SW, unless having women protagonists is still considered politics - which would be sad.

The prequels were way more on the nose about politics (Trade Federation, evil capitalists!)

It’s not politics.

Star Wars nerds are just nerds. There’s always been sexism and a weird hesitation towards women in nerd culture, and because nerd shit is now mainstream we’re finally seeing that aspect of nerdom rear it’s head in a more public manner.

The conversation about women being in Star Wars films is frankly ridiculous, maybe it’s just the circles I’m in but I’ve just never seen or heard this argument outside of the internet, and I think it’s down to just how embarrassing it sounds.

Like, I couldn’t imagine being in a face to face conversation with someone that was upset about women in Star Wars. I discuss Star Wars with people but that particular conversation has never come up. 

I wish one of those YouTube Star Wars loonies would come and talk that talk with me in real life. I just think it’ll be funny. I mean... there has to be something wrong with a man to feel so passionate about something so small.

• Like 9

Rose is so cringey, the performance and character. Especially as a character that's supposed to be empowering women. Splitting Rey and Finn up was definitely one of TLJ's mistakes as Baumer said. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, REC said:

And top critic consensus is rotten, 59%.

It has pretty average reviews overall which certainly didn't help. It really needed that certified fresh result, especially when the embargo was lifted so early.

• Like 1

• Community Manager
4 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Or maybe because these characters are shit and so are the actors portraying them. Disney couldn’t  find an actor with 1% of the charisma of a young Samuel Jackson or a Sigourney  Weaver or even a billy dee Williams for the new Star Wars films . Hell, people are also complaining about how bland the guy playing solo is and that’s as white as they come. Fact, the actors in the new Star Wars films suck and all the money the new movies earned are on the back of Harrison Ford and mark Hamill. 

Man if all I saw Natalie Portman in was the prequel trilogy, I'd think she was a terrible actress. John Boyega and Daisy Ridley are a huge improvement over the prequel trilogy cast. ;) 

3 hours ago, Mekanos said:

What crowds?

It's a disappointment but 83 million is a lot of people seeing a movie on the weekend.  

10 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

guys just write me off as a racist misogynist because I think all new Star Wars blows (where's the talent?)

I’m writing you off because you don’t like TLJ (and that’s a good thing)_UaKuBk4IU_ufBBssnOrTC16yGEkAyX8ZF5zhpLU

• Astonished 1