Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

29 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I think The Incredible Hulk was MCU's Good Dinosaur.

Didn't TIH flop? Budget: 150 million.  It made 134 million domestic and 128 million overseas.  Total: 262 million worldwide.

Did we ever get reports on what was lost for that? I'd imagine it may have been relatively small since DOM almost equaled the budget. Another 15-20m and it may have been fine. 

I blame Ang Lee for TIH under performance.

With his film, he killed any excitement you could possibly have for Hulk.

His movie was audience repellent.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, RRA said:

At least huh? What if it does more OS but less domestic than that certain other movie? And to think just 2 years ago Dr Strange finished in the 600s and we considered that good.

It could easily break out and make 450-500mil dom for all I know but my too early prediction for CM is 310 dom and 450 (AKA slightly above Doctor Strange's international numbers). So yeah my base idea is 750+mil. I think people will be more excited to see a Cosmic Marvel film starring a woman than Tony Stark with magic (I liked DS btw). It has a better hook than Doctor Strange. Doctor Strange's numbers were good, I always thought that they were good. 

If you had to pin me down for a prediction on CM right now it's 120M OW/350M DOM/825M WW. The time period and lead-in from Infinity War/set-up for Avengers 4 should all be big buzz points. I am not sure if it can overpower Wonder Woman domestically due to not being "first" but I expect better OS numbers due to Marvel brand. Godzilla moving will help some too.

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yeah, Captain Marvel is gonna blow the hell up if it's well received. And at this point that's starting to feel like a given for MCU. 

Yeah, but i think its a bit too close to Avengers 4 (which will very likely move to that last April weekend like IW). Black Panther had 2 1/2 months for its run before Avengers came. Captain Marvel has 1 1/2.

22 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

People are not going to consider Ant-Man a failure or under performer if it makes 600+ mil. You are exaggerating. Now Captain Marvel is going to be expected to hit at least 750mil because Superhero movies starring women in the 2010's is still rare and it should generate more interest for that very reason. 

I will certainly consider AM&tW a dissapointing underperformer if it makes like 610. That's just a bad number for a phase 3 MCU movie no matter how you want to try to spin it.   Something like 690 would be totally solid.

Edited by Thanos Legion

IW spoilers:

Spoiler

The post credits scene when Captain Marvel's logo came up got a massive response from my audience at preview screening. Of course, this is mostly the core fanbase audience but the point is the fanbase is obviously very excited for it. That's MCU's biggest strength right now, it has the entire fanbase united, and that's a big base. So that's why I say virtually any MCU film is locked for like 200+ right now, because they're all gonna be there in the theater to see the next MCU movie. So all it takes is some casual interest on top of that and MCU films are pulling huge numbers. 

• Like 2

Star Wars isn't Marvel. If LF think that they can build up to releasing two or three nostalgia fests with very little tonal differences a year like Marvel releases it's films then they are in for a rude awakening. You can't do that when your world isn't more diverse. I actually don't want Star Wars to fail, I just want them to stop trying to turn it into Marvel because the shoe doesn't fit man. And for fucks sake stop thinking that you can easily recast the big three, Han, Luke and Leia. Those actors are those roles. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Yeah, but i think its a bit too close to Avengers 4 (which will very likely move to that last April weekend like IW). Black Panther had 2 1/2 months for its run before Avengers came. Captain Marvel has 1 1/2.

They clearly need to move it to BP's slot. Yeah, yeah I know, Dark Phoenix which already got delayed to that spot. But to that I say, too bad so sad. They gotta cater and work around the top dog, and that's MCU. Dark Phoenix can just move to CM's release date. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

IW spoilers:

Hide contents

The post credits scene when Captain Marvel's logo came up got a massive response from my audience at preview screening. Of course, this is mostly the core fanbase audience but the point is the fanbase is obviously very excited for it. That's MCU's biggest strength right now, it has the entire fanbase united, and that's a big base. So that's why I say virtually any MCU film is locked for like 200+ right now, because they're all gonna be there in the theater to see the next MCU movie. So all it takes is some casual interest on top of that and MCU films are pulling huge numbers. 

People were searching carol danvers on the internet like crazy . This has a young nick fury , skrulls versus kree, an actually very talented leading actress and by the time it releases the hype will be huge for it. I am extremely confident in this, it is breaking one billion worldwide.

• Astonished 1

5 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

I think it might be wise to delay Episode 9's release for a year. Have it in December 2020. That way it can give the audience a momentary break.

Uh oh

James Cameron fanboys staking that December release date like:

giphy.gif

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Rose is so cringey, the performance and character. Especially as a character that's supposed to be empowering women. Splitting Rey and Finn up was definitely one of TLJ's mistakes as Baumer said. 

The only thing I remember about Rose is the terrible dialogue(something about saving animals and weapons sales), preventing Finn from actually doing something memorable in the movie(sacrificing himself to blow up that giant laser cannon thing) and her bad haircut.  Actually, I'd have to watch TLJ again to talk about it in-depth because a lot of it has already slipped out of my memory.

2 hours ago, water said:

i'm being completely calm and civil lol. moving on... that's untrue.

see this is where i'm confused. i hated finn's role in tlj. because the movie was racist. i hated rey's role in tlj. because the movie was misogynistic. no one is calling me racist or sexist for that because in criticizing their roles i'm being ANTI-racist and ANTI-sexist. and i think this applies widely. during tfa, like you said, there was no real big valid reason to criticize finn, but plenty of racist people hated on him just for being black. in my experience those people didn't have the same level of hate for tlj because there just straight up wasn't a lot of finn for them to complain about. meanwhile us finn FANS are mad about the movie sidelining him. so you appear to be on my side, and i'm the crazy sjw here so i don't see the truth in this narrative that "people turn that around into a sexism or racism issue". as far as i'm concerned hating tlj doesn't make you racist/sexist, it makes you anti-racist/anti-sexist. i mean obviously there's also people who hate tlj just for having women, but i really think that's overblown and the bigger issue here is that people are presenting an extremely misogynistic movie as somehow being progressive wrt gender. obviously there's also still people who hate tlj just for having a black guy, but i really think that's overblown and the bigger issue here is that people are presenting an extremely racist movie as somehow being progressive wrt to race. just because a small amount of extremists exist that hate black/female characters whether they're big or small roles doesn't mean that a racist/sexist movie isn't racist/sexist because those extremists hate it. water bottle this should explain what i mean, thanks lordmandeep for the jumping off point

1 hour ago, water said:

like i said yesterday for a different conversation, agree to disagree. i firmly believe rian johnson is racist and he sidelined finn because of it, for that exact specific reason. his behavior on twitter and in interviews cements it for me, stuff like sympathizing with the neo-nazi villain. stuff like mocking finn fans who think he's force-sensitive.

some racist asians would hate finn and rose kissing, some racist white people would be happy because it means REY and finn aren't kissing. we don't exactly have numbers. i don't get why you seem to only be able to come up with hypotheticals for why racists hate tlj but not why they would like it. obviously there's both, i'm just arguing it's more of the latter. not that racists like THE people of color in the movie, they don't cuz like you said they're racists. but they can like a movie that sidelines the characters of color BECAUSE it does so. that's all i'm saying.

anyway i'll wrap it up there and i swear i'm not gonna make a habit of getting into these political discussions again because they're just as pointless as they were 2 years ago

lol this guy is back!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

I think it might be wise to delay Episode 9's release for a year. Have it in December 2020. That way it can give the audience a momentary break.

It really is the most logical immediate step to take with this Solo performance. Give people an actual breather, time for some to maybe miss SW a little bit again. 

And Cameron will thank Disney for giving him an excuse to do what we all know he'll do  anyways: delay A2 another year. 

14 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yeah, Captain Marvel is gonna blow the hell up if it's well received. And at this point that's starting to feel like a given for MCU. 

imagine if it makes more than Wonder Woman, DC's only success

Napoleon might quit the forums for good

2 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

imagine if it makes more than Wonder Woman, DC's only success

Napoleon might quit the forums for good

What does that matter? Does WB have to give back their money if that happens? Does that make Wonder Woman a flop or something? This childish fanboy shit is obnoxious. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 1