Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

1 hour ago, YLF said:

I wholeheartedly agree. Omg. Every time I see the trailer it comes off as one big gimmick. It might've worked for the first installment but who is actually excited to see that a second time?

Me. And I 100% disagree. The shrinking and phasing “gimmick” looks energetic and visually exciting. Know who’s going also be excited? Kids. AMATW looks SO kid friendly. Easily the most kid friendly trailer of the summer. (Sorry: Christopher Robin looks amazing, but too sentimental; Jurassic World looks SCARY and DARK, even if there are dinos; and The Incredibles 2 trailer has been MIA in our neck of the woods.)  I also think AMATW will hold well with women after opening weekend; once everyone realizes it is Hope’s story and Michelle Pfeiffer (fingers crossed) is awesome and has action scenes. The first one might’ve been small as an ant, but AMATW’s box office is gonna be giant. 

1 hour ago, Thematrixfilm said:

was anyone able to pick up on what film is holding the majority of the double feature drive in showings with Solo: Star Wars?

My drive in was showing Deadpool 2 and Ready Player One this weekend. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

What does that matter? Does WB have to give back their money if that happens? Does that make Wonder Woman a flop or something? This childish fanboy shit is obnoxious. 

it would be hilarious to watch for someone like me

i have no stake in DC or Marvel.  I haven't seen a DC film since Man of Steel and Infinity War is the first Marvel movie I've seen since GOTG1 back in 2014.

3 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

Man if all I saw Natalie Portman in was the prequel trilogy, I'd think she was a terrible actress. John Boyega and Daisy Ridley are a huge improvement over the prequel trilogy cast. ;) 

Have you seen her in the Thor movies?:gold:

Damn if I wouldn't love to have control over Disney/Fox's schedule for next year. It's all messed up right now, but everything works so well if you make adjustments:

2/15: Captain Marvel

3/29: Dumbo

4/26: TA4

5/24: Dark Phoenix

6/21: TS4

7/19: Aladdin

10/4: New Mutants

11/29: Frozen 2

12/20: The Lion King

12/18/2020: Episode IX

12/17/2021: Avatar 2

40 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

I blame Ang Lee for TIH under performance.

With his film, he killed any excitement you could possibly have for Hulk.

His movie was audience repellent.

Also The Incredible Hulk wasn’t good and one of the worst MCu films by far 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Also The Incredible Hulk wasn’t good and one of the worst MCu films by far 

I wonder how the MCU would have gone if TIH and IM switched release dates. IM being good probably helped TIH out a bit even though it still disappointed.

15 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Damn if I wouldn't love to have control over Disney/Fox's schedule for next year. It's all messed up right now, but everything works so well if you make adjustments:

2/15: Captain Marvel

3/29: Dumbo

4/26: TA4

5/24: Dark Phoenix

6/21: TS4

7/19: Aladdin

10/4: New Mutants

11/29: Frozen 2

12/20: The Lion King

12/18/2020: Episode IX

12/17/2021: Avatar 2

If Lion King were to release at xmas time, sky is the limit.

18 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

IW spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents

Lets just appreciate how ridiculously good a position Marvel is in right now.

-Massive (and growing!) fanbase, rivaled only in size by Star Wars and Harry Potter, that is united and happy.  Also younger than, say, DC and Star Wars, which means a bright future in the longer term.

-Also able to pull huge numbers from casual fans/general audiences.  The fact that the MCU has the two highest Saturdays of all time (inflation adjusted), surpassing both Jurassic World and TFA is beyond impressive.  I mean, an interconnected franchise 21 movies deep, able to draw in more casual audiences than a crowd-pleaser like Jurassic World?  The MCU has both- the appeal to casual audiences and a massive hardcore fanbase- and that's a very powerful combination.

-Internationally, the MCU is very strong in the two largest markets in the world (China and the US), and dominates basically every growing market- Asia, Latin America, heck even in Africa BP and IW shattered records.  The markets they're weak in are the ones that are stagnating or shrinking.  Just looking at this, and the relative youth of its fanbase, leads me to believe that the MCU has not yet peaked (at least not worldwide).

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Frozen said:

“So glad I wasn’t in that one!”

- Taylor Kitsch

hahaha. 

Emilia Clarke is the bad luck charm of franchises. 

I'm kidding by the way. She's not to blame at all.

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Me. And I 100% disagree. The shrinking and phasing “gimmick” looks energetic and visually exciting. Know who’s going also be excited? Kids. AMATW looks SO kid friendly. Easily the most kid friendly trailer of the summer. (Sorry: Christopher Robin looks amazing, but too sentimental; Jurassic World looks SCARY and DARK, even if there are dinos; and The Incredibles 2 trailer has been MIA in our neck of the woods.)  I also think AMATW will hold well with women after opening weekend; once everyone realizes it is Hope’s story and Michelle Pfeiffer (fingers crossed) is awesome and has action scenes. The first one might’ve been small as an ant, but AMATW’s box office is gonna be giant. 

My drive in was showing Deadpool 2 and Ready Player One this weekend. 

I phrased what I said incorrectly. Im sure it will be a successful film. But like the OP said it will probably mostly appeal to kids and MCU fans. But older GA audience maybe not so much.

Edited by YLF
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Nova said:

Probably make more money than Han Solo did 

33865490_2266885126663650_68301242656190

Why do I need to see Solo: A Star Wars story in theaters? Could just watch Solo: A LeBron James story from home.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

hahaha. 

Emilia Clarke is the bad luck charm of franchises. 

I'm kidding by the way. She's not to blame at all.

None of these people are ever really to blame for the failure of their tentpoles. It's always just a case of bad luck. 

15 minutes ago, IceFire9yt said:

Lets just appreciate how ridiculously good a position Marvel is in right now.

-Massive (and growing!) fanbase, rivaled only in size by Star Wars and Harry Potter, that is united and happy.  Also younger than, say, DC and Star Wars, which means a bright future in the longer term.

-Also able to pull huge numbers from casual fans/general audiences.  The fact that the MCU has the two highest Saturdays of all time (inflation adjusted), surpassing both Jurassic World and TFA is beyond impressive.  I mean, an interconnected franchise 21 movies deep, able to draw in more casual audiences than a crowd-pleaser like Jurassic World?  The MCU has both- the appeal to casual audiences and a massive hardcore fanbase- and that's a very powerful combination.

-Internationally, the MCU is very strong in the two largest markets in the world (China and the US), and dominates basically every growing market- Asia, Latin America, heck even in Africa BP and IW shattered records.  The markets they're weak in are the ones that are stagnating or shrinking.  Just looking at this, and the relative youth of its fanbase, leads me to believe that the MCU has not yet peaked (at least not worldwide).

MCU is the most strong franchise worldwide right now. And it's not even close.

• Like 1