Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

4 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

What did you think TLJ was focused on? Just because you didn't like the story doesn't mean it didn't focus on telling a good story. You can say it failed although I'd argue that just because some fans don't like it doesn't mean it's a bad story especially when they are missing an entire part of the story: episode 9. 

I liked TFA, I thought TLJ went in interesting places, and I'm excited to see where Episode 9 goes. But if Episode 9 decides to retcon TLJ, it's going to lose me. It's that simple.

But what if retconning allows them to tell a better story than anything RJ left them with?

Btw, if it sounds like I'm playing both sides here it's because I totally am. I have no freaking clue what they "should" do with IX at this point.

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Premium George said:

How glad you are that there is more than half a year before marketing for next star wars begins.

I do think it's more important to talk about now in a polite way because if Solo's performance is any indication about the future of SW, something has to be done if they want to save it.

3 minutes ago, water said:

fortunately tlj doesn't need to be retconned to be ignored. everything ended up back where it started and the whole thing takes place over like 36 hours. if you think about it episode 9 will basically be a direct sequel to tfa since it'll take place x number of years later, like every single other saga movie except for tlj. i genuinely believe you'll be able to watch tfa and then episode 9 and the crawl will tell you everything you need to know, that's kind of the whole point of it anyway and why tlj's crawl felt pointless. rian really never understood the franchise :(

i mean obviously stuff like luke and snoke dying will be jarring but what can you do.

also i literally theorized that the trilogy could be expanded to 6 before tfa even came out. i'm glad people are seeing it as a possibility now but i'm sad about the circumstances that led to it

I agree but my favorite parts of TLJ all involved Luke, Rey and Kylo. I still believe these parts can be integrated to matter to whatever the story is for 9 if they do choose to bring Luke or Snoke back. I don't know how they would do it in a believable way but it is Star Wars so the opportunity is there. I think Snoke actually inhabiting multiple beings makes sense and the way the film handled the force with ghosts, etc shows a lot is possible regarding Luke.

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Btw, if it sounds like I'm playing both sides here it's because I totally am. I have no freaking clue what they "should" do with IX at this point.

That is exactly where I am at lol. That's going to be a long writers session and has it even started filming yet?

I just have a feeling Disney is going to take the reception to TLJ seriously now and that could mean major changes to whatever the outline of 9 is. They don't want divisive films. Not in this day and age with a franchise as big as this.

For the love of all that is holy I hope they allow the 3 leads to interact again. I like Poe, Finn and Rey but I like all three of them to interact with each other in the same damn scene. And not just for one short scene so that they can shove in new side characters. 

• Like 1

• Community Manager
Just now, MovieMan89 said:

But what if retconning allows them to tell a better story than anything RJ left them with?

I don't think retconning would lead to a better more interesting story especially since it kills any chance of SW ever really taking risks again. A safe story I don't see being a better story than exploring new ground (which episode 9 is going to have to).

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

That is exactly where I am at lol. That's going to be a long writers session and has it even started filming yet?

I just have a feeling Disney is going to take the reception to TLJ seriously now and that could mean major changes to whatever the outline of 9 is. They don't want divisive films. Not in this day and age with a franchise as big as this.

It's supposed to begin production in July 2018. The script has already been written. They might make changes to it but if they decide to rewrite it completely well..I'll be very disappointed. 

11 minutes ago, water said:

didn't he already have faith in the jedi again at the end of tlj? i never understood this particular complaint about tlj from luke fans. like isn't his character arc in the movie all about re-finding the optimistic character everyone loved.

To me, yes. But we didn't really get to see him be this master again until the very end and I think that's what the fans really wanted. They wanted that change in character to happen way sooner and they definitely did not want him to have that moment of weakness. More fun interactions with R2-D2, C-3PO, Chewie, Finn, Poe, etc. I believe the redemption arc is what RJ was going for but my problem is why did he have to die? I get that there wasn't more for him to do but really, there could be. It was a pass the torch moment without all the stuff that we usually get before the torch is passed. And now that he's gone, it's like....well I guess now we'll never get to see any of that now outside of some force ghost moments if JJ chooses that route.

They wanted to see the Luke they knew from before. If he died going out that way then I think they would have had a lot less issues but I still think it would have been the wrong decision unless they really built up Rey.

That would be my best way to sum it up I guess.

Edited by somebody85

8 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

I agree but my favorite parts of TLJ all involved Luke, Rey and Kylo. I still believe these parts can be integrated to matter to whatever the story is for 9 if they do choose to bring Luke or Snoke back. I don't know how they would do it in a believable way but it is Star Wars so the opportunity is there. I think Snoke actually inhabiting multiple beings makes sense and the way the film handled the force with ghosts, etc shows a lot is possible regarding Luke.

i guess i'm coming from a place of hating those parts and wanting them to be ignored lol. i thought kylo killing snoke was good though, i do wonder what jj's ideas for him were but i'm fine with this too as long as they flesh out the first order so it feels like a real threat and not just kylo and hux. frankly i think luke was always slated to die in the second movie (one trio-member per each-- it's their movie and they die in it) and also always expected to return as a force ghost so

5 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

it starts in july. hopefully jj can use as much of his original outline as possible? it's a struggle though cuz like what does he do condense his original episode 8 and 9 into one or? i just know he said he wants to finish the story he started

Edited by water

2 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

It's supposed to begin production in July 2018. The script has already been written. They might make changes to it but if they decide to rewrite it completely well..I'll be very disappointed. 

I thought it had not. I predict there are going to be several major meetings at Lucasfilms between now and then starting this week. Maybe not rewritten completely but they are going to throw a lot out there and see if it works to try to win back those upset fans.

I doubt the original script goes ahead 100% as planned now but I'm not a Hollywood writer so I don't know. I have followed Disney for decades though and I know that a studio never wants a billion dollar property to have a fanbase divided like it currently is over the choices of one movie.

2 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

To me, yes. But we didn't really get to see him be this master again until the very end and I think that's what the fans really wanted. They wanted that change in character to happen way sooner and they definitely did not want him to have that moment of weakness. More fun interactions with R2-D2, C-3PO, Chewie, Finn, Poe, etc. I believe the redemption arc is what RJ was going for but my problem is why did he have to die? I get that there wasn't more for him to do but really, there could be. It was a pass the torch moment without all the stuff that we usually get before the torch is passed. And now that he's gone, it's like....well I guess now we'll never get to see any of that now outside of some force ghost moments if JJ chooses that route.

They wanted to see the Luke they knew from before. If he died going out that way then I think they would have had a lot less issues but I still think it would have been the wrong decision unless they really built up Rey.

That would be my best way to sum it up I guess.

honestly i'm not a big ot fan so i don't really see this huge glaring difference between his ot character and tlj one, but clearly his fans do so i get that it sucks he didn't change back until the very end. plus i have a big issue with them trying to excuse kylo's own ideology and actions as being luke's faul so i'm with you there.

i think a major problem is that the whole movie took place over like 2 days. it sucks for fans of ANY character to be shown so little of their lives, especially when you wait two years for tlj and then get..... that

• Like 1

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, somebody85 said:

I thought it had not. I predict there are going to be several major meetings at Lucasfilms between now and then starting this week. Maybe not rewritten completely but they are going to throw a lot out there and see if it works to try to win back those upset fans.

I doubt the original script goes ahead 100% as planned now but I'm not a Hollywood writer so I don't know. I have followed Disney for decades though and I know that a studio never wants a billion dollar property to have a fanbase divided like it currently is over the choices of one movie.

There probably will be major meetings but like I said, if they retcon TLJ, then they'll lose me as a fan. And I won't be the only one. Lots of people liked TLJ too and where that movie went. Lots of people liked TLJ better than TFA. Tossing out what happened in TLJ isn't going to unite the fanbase. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, water said:

i guess i'm coming from a place of hating those parts and wanting them to be ignored lol. i thought kylo killing snoke was good though, i do wonder what jj's ideas for him were but i'm fine with this too as long as they flesh out the first order so it feels like a real threat and not just kylo and hux. frankly i think luke was always slated to die in the second movie (one trio-member per each-- it's their movie and they die in it) and also always expected to return as a force ghost so

it starts in july. hopefully jj can use as much of his original outline as possible? it's a struggle though cuz like what does he do condense his original episode 8 and 9 into one or? i just know he said he wants to finish the story he started

I agree about Snoke. I'm fine with him living or dying. I want the First Order to not be a joke (aka Hux). I wouldn't mind them introducing another villain that's a lot stronger than Kylo.

And I expected that too but didn't want it to happen. I wanted the old cast to stick around for the entire way and guide the new members. When this idea was first pitched as coming back, the interactions between them all is what I was looking forward to the most. 

I think JJ will figure out a way. I cannot see the fanbase being happy if Luke does not return in some big part and have some epic moments though.

5 minutes ago, water said:

honestly i'm not a big ot fan so i don't really see this huge glaring difference between his ot character and tlj one, but clearly his fans do so i get that it sucks he didn't change back until the very end. plus i have a big issue with them trying to excuse kylo's own ideology and actions as being luke's faul so i'm with you there.

i think a major problem is that the whole movie took place over like 2 days. it sucks for fans of ANY character to be shown so little of their lives, especially when you wait two years for tlj and then get..... that

I'm a huge OT fan. I grew up in the early and mid 90s with those VHS's on constant repeat. Had all the toys, etc....and I was fine with TLJ and Luke. I understood why RJ did what he did because I think it was written in a convincing way. Was it what I wanted though? No. 

Now that Carries gone, it's sad that there will probably never be another scene of the Luke, Han and Leia again. And since they killed Han, we'll probably never see Luke and Han fighting together and their interactions with each other. I think that's why fans are so let down.

Maybe JJ can convince Ford to come back for some flashback scenes but the way it's written, those were supposed to be happier times? So I dunno, maybe the Jedi temple scene where it all goes to hell?

19 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

For the love of all that is holy I hope they allow the 3 leads to interact again. I like Poe, Finn and Rey but I like all three of them to interact with each other in the same damn scene. And not just for one short scene so that they can shove in new side characters. 

Completely agree.

7 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

There probably will be major meetings but like I said, if they retcon TLJ, then they'll lose me as a fan. And I won't be the only one. Lots of people liked TLJ too and where that movie went. Lots of people liked TLJ better than TFA. Tossing out what happened in TLJ isn't going to unite the fanbase. 

They won't lose me but I want to be optimistic and think they could find a way to make both sides happy again. If they bring Luke back in a major role and we get those interactions...that would be a start and not tossing TLJ out the window.

25 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

In fact , Poe and Ray never talked to each other since TFA, only until the very end of TLJ, a forced introductory dialogue was added so that they talked to each other 

Edited by titanic2187

22 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

I don't think retconning would lead to a better more interesting story especially since it kills any chance of SW ever really taking risks again. A safe story I don't see being a better story than exploring new ground (which episode 9 is going to have to).

As far as this, I said right on TLJs OW that I doubt Disney is going to be that willing to take huge risks again. I think they would rather have the safe route and get a "it was good but some of it feels recycled" from the critics and some of the online fans then do what they did with TLJ.

Alright then friends. I know I don't post much, but when I do, it's for good reason. Today is my last day at home and on this forum for a few months, because tomorrow morning I am leaving for the Basic Training for the Air Force. 

I've been a member on this forum since late 2013 (I still remember finding this site by looking for Catching Fire predictions, and I still remember this site's prediction for it was 167/390) and since then, I've been on it almost daily reading what everyone else has to say about my favorite things, box office and numbers. I love this site because (pretty much) everyone here has such a positive attitude and we're so much more knowledgeable about box office than any other site or source I know of (seriously, some people that write about box office for a living are trash, but I go here and even though everyone has their bad predictions, they're still a lot better than what some of the "professionals" do and it's awesome).

Anyways though, I'll miss this forum and its members while I'm gone, so I hope you keep your conversations civil and your predictions and projections strong. I'll be back around August, and I can't wait to see how this forum has been while I'm gone. 

Happy posting everyone. Have a good summer!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 7

1 minute ago, Gokai Red said:

Alright then friends. I know I don't post much, but when I do, it's for good reason. Today is my last day at home and on this forum for a few months, because tomorrow morning I am leaving for the Basic Training for the Air Force. 

I've been a member on this forum since late 2013 (I still remember finding this site by looking for Catching Fire predictions, and I still remember this site's prediction for it was 167/390) and since then, I've been on it almost daily reading what everyone else has to say about my favorite things, box office and numbers. I love this site because (pretty much) everyone here has such a positive attitude and we're so much more knowledgeable about box office than any other site or source I know of (seriously, some people that write about box office for a living are trash, but I go here and even though everyone has their bad predictions, they're still a lot better than what some of the "professionals" do and it's awesome).

Anyways though, I'll miss this forum and its members while I'm gone, so I hope you keep your conversations civil and your predictions and projections strong. I'll be back around August, and I can't wait to see how this forum has been while I'm gone. 

Happy posting everyone. Have a good summer!

Hope you can have your own version of Top Gun in the training!!

• Like 1

• Community Manager
Just now, somebody85 said:

They won't lose me but I want to be optimistic and think they could find a way to make both sides happy again. If they bring Luke back in a major role and we get those interactions...that would be a start and not tossing TLJ out the window.

I mean the cartoons brought back Darth Maul :lol: I never liked that but resurrections are part of SW canon.  Being like "he never really died" would bother me. Him finding a way to come back to life? I'd be fine with that. Why wouldn't I want more Luke? As long as it doesn't erase the impact of his decision to sacrifice his life to save what's left of the resistance by opening himself up to the Force again. That to me is critical to his character arc in TLJ.

They don't need to bring him back to life even to give him some epic moments. Force ghost Yoda was able to start a fire. Clearly Luke's connection to the Force means he can still play a pretty big role especially since he was pretty powerful in life!

But if they are going to force it, I don't want it to happen. It needs to happen organically and naturally for it to work.

• Like 1