Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

Just now, filmlover said:

No one's blaming the release date. The blame falls upon Lucasfilm for spending $300M+ on a project that nobody was actually clamoring for (when it should have, at best, cost half of that).

Regarding the budget, I still maintain that's the thing you really can pin on Kennedy. She hired a directing team that came from animation and improv, two areas where the script is just a starting point and time is relatively plentiful. That wasn't suitable for a movie like Solo, and she should have known better.

1 minute ago, kowhite said:

I do believe the 5 month was an issue (not the only).  Too much the same, no matter, how good...this ain’t TV...that has big budget issues, whether right or wrong.  TLJ...great fucking movie... but, I am not everyone...and I’m sad to say....it’s a little bit responsible.  But damn that was a good movie.  God damn you people who didn’t like it.

But this was the anniversary of ANH. This should have been a huge deal for SW fans but as seen by the numbers, it seems like they were still very sour over their last experience with the franchise.

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

300m really is insane for Solo. I can't even wrap my mind around that budget for it. 

Mostly the reshoots caused the budget to skyrocket. Making a movie in its entirety twice is always gonna cause that: just ask 2004's Exorcist: The Beginning or 2001's infamous Town & Country.

Edited by filmlover

10 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Maybe but Abrams certainly knew where Rian was going and liked it based on reports we got during TFA's post-production and TLJ's pre-production?

I don't see Abrams ignoring or retconning Episode 8 and if he did, I'd abandon any future Star Wars movies. Maybe that's what a lot of people want but then nothing matters and it's just loads of fan service. No thanks. I'd much rather watch franchises interested in telling good stories.

But the number 1 issue people had about TLj was the story though.

So the franchise is not even focusing on telling a good story imo.

I am unsure what the new trilogy is focused on lol...sigh

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, harrycaul said:

Regarding the budget, I still maintain that's the thing you really can pin on Kennedy. She hired a directing team that came from animation and improv, two areas where the script is just a starting point and time is relatively plentiful. That wasn't suitable for a movie like Solo, and she should have known better.

When these spin-offs are costing as much as the actual main films (when they theoretically should be costing much less), that's when you know maybe you should start re-evaluating your approach.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yeah, and I get where you're coming from there. It's undercutting this entire sequel trilogy if they start retconning, imo. It's kinda like why did we even bother watching these movies prior to this one? So I just think it's a really crappy situation. I feel like the best bet is to find some way to make the most out of what they have. 

And that to me, is why I have no idea what Disney does from here. How do you fix this? If you want to win those hardcore fans back you have to change course. If you make the best out of what you have and it's not accepted (like Solo), then you are risking all of the other SW properties you have lined up.

If they did bring Luke and Snoke back, I don't think it would be completely pointless. But they would need a good reason for Luke to come back which would be possible to write. Some threat that only he and Rey could handle. And main characters have obviously come back from the dead in these big franchises so it wouldn't be that far fetched.

2 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

So the franchise is not even focusing on telling a good story.

A lot of people sincerely believe that unlike Marvel, they are just writing it as it goes much like "Heroes" without any real outline. And that approach doomed that show (which also started out so well) too.

5 minutes ago, Sam said:Double down on it. Produce Solo 2 and 3 back-to-back. 

Connect it with the new Boba Fett movie too.

Yes, connect it with Boba Fett...(really connect it with Obi Wan)...

Solo 2?  I could dig it but, well...maybe not all things considered...

fortunately tlj doesn't need to be retconned to be ignored. everything ended up back where it started and the whole thing takes place over like 36 hours. if you think about it episode 9 will basically be a direct sequel to tfa since it'll take place x number of years later, like every single other saga movie except for tlj. i genuinely believe you'll be able to watch tfa and then episode 9 and the crawl will tell you everything you need to know, that's kind of the whole point of it anyway and why tlj's crawl felt pointless. rian really never understood the franchise :(

i mean obviously stuff like luke and snoke dying will be jarring but what can you do.

also i literally theorized that the trilogy could be expanded to 6 before tfa even came out. i'm glad people are seeing it as a possibility now but i'm sad about the circumstances that led to it

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

But this was the anniversary of ANH. This should have been a huge deal for SW fans but as seen by the numbers, it seems like they were still very sour over their last experience with the franchise.

I wont deny the divisivess of the last film, no matter how I disagree with it.

But...I don’t think that’s really the issue here.  I think.  Think.

18 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I suppose there is always the option to merge the next trilogy into this one. Don't make IX the finale, maybe make this whole arc a huge 6 episode one that spans two trilogies and XII is the climax. Then you can spend a lot of time in IX course correcting. 

Right, or make it four movies. Course correct and make the events of failure that happened in TLJ integral to the story of 9. Have Luke come back and have faith in the Jedi again. They tried Kylos message of destroying it all and it didn't work. Prove why both sides are needed as far as balance and then move forward.

8 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

The best bet is to let JJ Abrams tell the story he freaking wants to tell regardless of what people on the internet are screaming about. Don't worry about course correction: focus on making the movie Abrams wants to tell based on where Rian Johnson left the characters/universe in. He's a great storyteller in my experience. 

With the caveat that a lot of people have brought up that he's never exactly delivered a satsifying finale.

• Like 1

• Community Manager
Just now, Lordmandeep said:

So the franchise is not even focusing on telling a good story.

What did you think TLJ was focused on? Just because you didn't like the story doesn't mean it didn't focus on telling a good story. You can say it failed although I'd argue that just because some fans don't like it doesn't mean it's a bad story especially when they are missing an entire part of the story: episode 9. 

I liked TFA, I thought TLJ went in interesting places, and I'm excited to see where Episode 9 goes. But if Episode 9 decides to retcon TLJ, it's going to lose me. It's that simple.

• Like 1

IMO budget-wise, a Boba Fett movie could be made for something like 120-130 as long as they get an experienced director. Kenobi in particular I don't think requires a budget over 100, it really should be a much smaller film.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

IMO budget-wise, a Boba Fett movie could be made for something like 120-130 as long as they get an experienced director. Kenobi in particular I don't think requires a budget over 100, it really should be a much smaller film.

James Mangold has been hired for Boba Fett.

7 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

And that to me, is why I have no idea what Disney does from here. How do you fix this? If you want to win those hardcore fans back you have to change course. If you make the best out of what you have and it's not accepted (like Solo), then you are risking all of the other SW properties you have lined up.

If they did bring Luke and Snoke back, I don't think it would be completely pointless. But they would need a good reason for Luke to come back which would be possible to write. Some threat that only he and Rey could handle. And main characters have obviously come back from the dead in these big franchises so it wouldn't be that far fetched.

I'm just getting horrible nightmare visions in my head of how they resurrected Superman in JL, lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Have Luke come back and have faith in the Jedi again.

didn't he already have faith in the jedi again at the end of tlj? i never understood this particular complaint about tlj from luke fans. like isn't his character arc in the movie all about re-finding the optimistic character everyone loved.

• Like 1

Disney aren't sloppy panic prone people like the dudes that run WB so I don't expect them to overhaul whatever plans LF had for Episode 9 after Fisher's death. I do expect a little more pandering but that's mostly it. They made their bed and they'll just have to hope that people like this upcoming film more and move on regardless of the results. 

• Like 2

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

With the caveat that a lot of people have brought up that he's never exactly delivered a satsifying finale.

A bullshit narrative. Those people bring up Lost even though he wasn't involved with after the first episode. He was kinda busy with Mission Impossible 3 which had a good third act. And then he did Super 8 which I thought had a fantastic third act although I know some people don't like it. I think Star Trek had a good third act as well. Star Trek Into Darkness had a decent third act but that was hurt by a silly twist everyone saw coming: without the twist, I think he would have nailed it.