Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

7 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Was there really? I was very into the latest movie news and discussion at the time and I honestly don't remember that whatsoever. 

Not sure if it was violent as the backlash for Keaton back in the days, but it was a big one. Apparently the studio made a compilation of the best and they made Affleck read it before he signed for the role.

• Like 1

I'm generally against retconning for anything except obvious unintended mistakes. Fine, fix those.

But changing your intent because some people didn't like it?  Nah, count me out on that for sure.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Having luke as the main character in TLJ imo was a multi-million dollar mistake.

Thye pissed off a large segment of the fanbase and failed to really build attachment to the new characters that is any way similar to the OT.

I actually agree with this. They really did Rey a disservice by making Luke the lead, even though I loved how they handled him. Killing off Luke so soon was also shortsighted.

• Like 1

Luke should only come back as a ghost but I can seeJJ being so delusional just not even have him as they think they established strong enough characters to carry these films. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

2 minutes ago, harrycaul said:

Yes, it would. That was quite clearly the end of Luke's story. A very fitting end. Changing it would be a giant mistake.

But it wasn't the end. You see, after force-projecting himself, he teleported over to his x-wing, lifted it out of the water, fixed it, and flew out to join the resistance. Lots of successful franchises have done dumber things after figuring out what makes their franchise bankable and what doesn't.

10 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Was it from homophobes over Brokeback? 

Nope, i don’t remember anything like that. Mostly that he lacked the presence and charisma of a jack Nicholson and that he wasn’t good enough to be the joker. 

Edited by Thrylos 7
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Well I'm with you there, but I feel like that movie you're talking about needed to be TLJ. And that ship has sailed. I suppose maybe they can retcon what TLJ did and still pull some kind of cohesive trilogy and climax out of it all, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how. Would take a helluva writer(s).  

Make it more than a trilogy. Turn 9 into what TLJ could have been with Luke actually training Rey. Have Snoke come back. Make him know that Kylo was going to kill that version of him and that was the final part of his training or bring in another major evil character outside of Kylo that Snoke was just an underdog too.

The problems that people have could be fixed.

8 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

I remember people using “wait and see, we all criticized Ledger as Joker first” for :redcapes:

And he was the second best thing in that movie imo, after the sound/score work. Genius choice there.

• Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, Pure Spirit said:

But it wasn't the end. You see, after force-projecting himself, he teleported over to his x-wing, lifted it out of the water, fixed it, and flew out to join the resistance. Lots of successful franchises have done dumber things after figuring out what makes their franchise bankable and what doesn't.

I mean, if you want to undo the one thing TLJ did well...

3 hours ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Nope, i don’t remember anythun* like that. Mostly that he lacked the presence and charisma of a jack Nicholson and that he wasn’t good enough to be the joker. 

This.

Before he did TDK, he was probably best known as the guy from 10 Things I hate about You and A Knight's tale.  He wasn't really seen as dark enough.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, harrycaul said:

I'm generally against retconning for anything except obvious unintended mistakes. Fine, fix those.

But changing your intent because some people didn't like it?  Nah, count me out on that for sure.

If Solo is indication, it's a lot more than "some people." It's enough to make the whole venture unprofitable.

2 hours ago, John Marston said:

Heath Ledger casting has absolutely nothing to do with people who actually watched The Last Jedi movie and had problems with it. Seems like a way for someone to just get on a high horse for some reason. 

I think you just missed a part of the conversation flow.

Someone said that listening for fan advice/criticism to decide what to do in the next yet to be released movie is a bad way, listing a bunch of example to reinforce that point. No one is talking about people not liking Last Jedi in reference to Ledger casting.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, harrycaul said:

I mean, if you want to undo the one thing TLJ did well...

If even you think that was the one thing TLJ did well, can we just pretend the whole movie was a fever dream and Episode IX starts where Episode VII ended?

Just now, Pure Spirit said:

If Solo is indication, it's a lot more than "some people." It's enough to make the whole venture unprofitable.

Still against it on basic principle. You made the movie you made. Stand by it. Find a new direction.

This “remember fans bitching about heath ledger” has become an annoying meme over the years. Yes, the fans were wrong at that time but unfortunately for movie studios the fans have been right many more times about things like this.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, harrycaul said:

It would be different if it wasn't such a major character in one of the biggest franchises in the world. So many people grew up and idolized that character.

They felt his story was severely mishandled. If you go to any video criticizing TLJ, that is the first thing you'll see. It is always about Luke.

5 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

I actually agree with this. They really did Rey a disservice by making Luke the lead

And I also agree with this. We didn't get much character development with her when this should have been the film to do it. She flip flops sides and is back to where she was at the end of TFA. We don't get the heroes journey that we got with Luke in the OT where we see her struggle to become this hardened warrior that can save the resistance. That's what people wanted, not the Canto Bight stuff.

• Like 1