Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

1 minute ago, baumer said:

I know it doesn't work on paper, but that's why you get a talented writer to fix it and make it work.  They do stupid shit in movies all the time that are ignored.  The Fast and Furious franchise is famous for this and they make billions of dollars.  For me, and I'm not going to speak for anyone else, but for me, I want answers from TFA.  I want a story that answers questions for TFA and I want Luke to be the Luke we know from the original trilogy.  That's just me.

Well I'm with you there, but I feel like that movie you're talking about needed to be TLJ. And that ship has sailed. I suppose maybe they can retcon what TLJ did and still pull some kind of cohesive trilogy and climax out of it all, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how. Would take a helluva writer(s).  

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Any time I see fans talking about their ideas about how a future movie not yet made should be done, my memory goes back to the immense backlash when Heath Ledger was cast as The Joker twelve years ago.

Wait why do you care what basement dwellers think? :rolleyes:

Edited by Lordmandeep

Any time I see fans talking about their ideas about how a future movie not yet made should be done, my memory goes back to the immense backlash when Heath Ledger was cast as The Joker twelve years ago.

Was there really? I was very into the latest movie news and discussion at the time and I honestly don't remember that whatsoever. 

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Was there really? I was very into the latest movie news and discussion at the time and I honestly don't remember that whatsoever. 

Yes, it was pretty strong at the time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

I agree that he should do this.

As stupid as it is, I kind of agree. He needs to still be a part of this. 

11 minutes ago, Barnack said:

That make much more sense. Except once you read the hole paragraph:

backlash from some fans regarding the diversity of Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Rian Johnson’s film has been controversial for many reasons, however, for some groups of fans, the diversity was the biggest issue as they felt women had overtaken their beloved franchise. For Abrams, though, the backlash is nothing to fret over

Well he seem to be talking about the backlash regarding diversity, it is certainly not something to fret over or if you ever do, to say otherwise in public (I mean do they expect something at Disney saying in a interview they will reduce the diversity in their movie to please a Internet backlash about it ?).

Who would suggest to fret over the backlash against diversity ? The most diverse entry of the franchise was probably Awaken, it did the most. The first entry with the white guy did the least. So we could see where he come from with that statement.

Since you edited your post, I'll post the image that I see the most in these videos regarding Kathleen Kennedy.

6aw3vw8uep501.jpg

They use this and interviews like this - https://www.metro.us/entertainment/movies/kathleen-kennedy-female-star-wars-writers-directors along with the actual writing in the movies. It all adds up to this intense hatred of a person who they feel is stomping all over something they value dearly with her own agenda. - That's the identity politics stuff I want to stay out of when discussing this because I don't think either side is going to get anywhere with that.

The fans that are making this never ending content are not just going on about that stuff. They are totally there but a lot of them are more against the actual writing of TLJ itself and they way it handled beloved characters like Luke Skywalker. They rewrite the film to make the lead up to 9 more engaging and give Luke a better role. They re edit the film to fix where they thought Rian Johnson was trolling fans expectations, etc.

2 minutes ago, harrycaul said:

Luke's arc was the only part of TLJ that really worked for me. Retconning it is a very ill-advised move.

So the arc would be ruined if instead of dying at the end of TLJ, he teleported instead? Even Mark Hamill says he likes to pretend that's what happened.

• Like 1

It was very popular to bash the casting choice at the time. A lot thought he was too "pretty" to play The Joker. And of course there were the homophobes in the wake of Brokeback Mountain's impact ("ewwww he's gonna try and fuck Batman" and the like).

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

Having luke as the main character in TLJ imo was a multi-million dollar mistake.

Thye pissed off a large segment of the fanbase and failed to really build attachment to the new characters that is any way similar to the OT.

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Dude it was insane. You can find images of all the people who were against that casting.

https://www.newsarama.com/18753-public-service-reminder-how-the-internet-reacted-to-heath-ledger-as-joker-casting.html

Was it from homophobes over Brokeback? 

Some probably. And that his looks and roll types were a million miles away from The Joker.

People were genuinely shocked at what he pulled off, remember.

3 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Well I'm with you there, but I feel like that movie you're talking about needed to be TLJ. And that ship has sailed. I suppose maybe they can retcon what TLJ did and still pull some kind of cohesive trilogy and climax out of it all, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how. Would take a helluva writer(s).  

Well, the way I look at it, if Rian can come in and do whatever the hell he wanted to, then JJ can come in and do the same.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

So the arc would be ruined if instead of dying at the end of TLJ, he teleported instead? Even Mark Hamill says he likes to pretend that's what happened.

Yes, it would. That was quite clearly the end of Luke's story. A very fitting end. Changing it would be a giant mistake.

It was very popular to bash the casting choice at the time. A lot thought he was too "pretty" to play The Joker. And of course there were the homophobes in the wake of Brokeback Mountain's impact ("ewwww he's gonna try and fuck Batman" and the like).

Ugh, glad I have no recollection of that. 

5 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

It doesn't matter if it's out of context, it's a stupid thing to say even in context. It fit the existing narrative that KK, Rian, and JJ saw existing Star Wars fans as disposable, that they'd see the movies no matter what was done to the franchise. Solo has shown that not to be the case.

You clearly didn't read the whole statement. Question was what he thinks about fans who are against diversity. What should he reply to that, that those fans are important and we will decrease diversity?

Now you see why those offended fans are dumb as fuck? 

• Thanks 1

Just now, harrycaul said:

Yes, it would. That was quite clearly the end of Luke's story. A very fitting end. Changing it would be a giant mistake.

You are on one side of the fanbase there. People were happy with the final closing but not how they got there. Not what Luke became.

I don't think changing it would be a giant mistake. I think there is still a lot more story to tell with Luke Skywalker and I'd love to see more chemistry with his character and Rey outside of being a ghost.