Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

5 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

People actually want JJ to re correct what happened with Luke. State he was actually force projecting himself onto the island or teleported somewhere else at the end and did not die.

I'm sure they intended him to have a sizable blue spirit role anyway a la Obi Wan in the OT.

Just now, Barnack said:

That make much more sense. Except once you read the hole paragraph:

backlash from some fans regarding the diversity of Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Rian Johnson’s film has been controversial for many reasons, however, for some groups of fans, the diversity was the biggest issue as they felt women had overtaken their beloved franchise. For Abrams, though, the backlash is nothing to fret over

Well he seem to be talking about the backlash regarding diversity, it is certainly not something to fret over or if you ever do, to say otherwise in public.

I agree with you that they are taking it out of context (which is not surprising) but I think that he should have addressed the actual criticisms they had instead of brushing it aside. "Backlash is nothing to fret over" - fans interpreted this as Lucasfilms is not listening to them as far as the handling of characters not regarding the diversity, identity politics stuff.

Again, taking out of context but betrayed is the word I keep falling back on when I see people make these long videos that get hundreds and thousands of views about TLJ and boycotting Solo. That's the term I see the most in the comments.

And as far as the games go, they have a point. EA/Dice did fuck them over (at least so far). They straight up lied and said they were going to expand the game with new worlds and characters with each movie and instead gave it up on it after all the backlash of the microtransactions after they fixed what should have never been there to start. They keep delaying the next phase and while they do, people stopped playing.

All of this looks bad on Star Wars and the fans who go to these movies multiple times and buy all the merchandise.

7 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

https://www.cbr.com/star-wars-abrams-last-jedi-critics-threatened-by-women/

"For Abrams, though, the backlash is nothing to fret over. As he told IndieWire, “Their problem isn’t ‘Star Wars,’ their problem is being threatened.”

That's the line they really had a problem with. I was looking for it for a little while.

Fans took a lot of offense to that. 

As a Star Wars fan, this was a pretty earth-shattering quote in the community. It told SW fans that Disney was not listening to their legitimate concerns about the direction of the franchise, and would prefer to ignore it by building up strawmen criticisms and knocking them down. 

JJ had a lot of goodwill by fans from TFA, but much of that goodwill was blundered by things he's said. Episode IX will have to be excellent to bring disappointed fans back into the fold, and even then I'm not sure it'll even reach TLJ's gross.

• Like 1

What was done with Luke was just a freaking abomination. I hope they retcon that whole force ghost shit out of existence. What a shitty job rian Johnson did to the character. Makes me want to punch something hard. Abrams need to fixed the crap Johnson f’ed up.

8 minutes ago, baumer said:

I agree that he should do this.

It just doesn't work though. The scene in TLJ is clearly meant to be a death scene. Trying to say "psych, this is what actually happened" will insult the audience's intelligence/make it seem like they really are just going to retcon TLJ. And as much as I hate many of the choices made in TLJ, IX will never work if they're attempting to retcon everything, yet still tell some kind of satisfying climax and conclusion.

They're stuck with the bed that's been made. They gotta work off of that and figure out the best way to salvage it. I don't envy JJ one bit there, but diving into the retcon-a-thon is a nasty can of worms. 

Edited by MovieMan89

8 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

People actually want JJ to re correct what happened with Luke. State he was actually force projecting himself onto the island or teleported somewhere else at the end and did not die.

Agree. Episode IX needs to retcon Luke somehow so he's still alive. A "force ghost" won't be enough. As difficult as it will be to properly retcon, I think it mostly re-unite the fanbase. Have a teaser trailer with Luke Skywalker pulling a capital ship out of the sky. Suddenly Episode IX has a strong hook and a fanbase to back it up.

2 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

What was done with Luke was just a freaking abomination. I hope they retcon that whole force ghost shit out of existence. What a shitty job rian Johnson did to the character. Makes me want to punch something hard. Abrams need to fixed the crap Johnson f’ed up.

It's quite possibly too late to fix.

4 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

As a Star Wars fan, this was a pretty earth-shattering quote in the community. It told SW fans that Disney was not listening to their legitimate concerns about the direction of the franchise, and would prefer to ignore it by building up strawmen criticisms and knocking them down. 

JJ had a lot of goodwill by fans from TFA, but much of that goodwill was blundered by things he's said. Episode IX will have to be excellent to bring disappointed fans back into the fold, and even then I'm not sure it'll even reach TLJ's gross.

Barnack just posted it was a out of context quote. Here, fans are the problem for being dumb to be offended by that statement.

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

It just doesn't work though. The scene in TLJ is clearly meant to be a death scene. Trying to say "psych, this is what actually happened" will insult the audience's intelligence/make it seem like they really are just going to retcon TLJ. And as much as I hate many of the choices made in TLJ, IX will never work if they're attempting to retcon everything, yet still tell some kind of satisfying climax and conclusion.

They're stuck with the bed that's been made. They gotta work off of that and figure out the best way to salvage it. I don't envy JJ one bit there, but diving into the retcon-a-thon is a nasty can of worms. 

Fans wouldn't see it as "psyche." They'd see it as Disney recognizing what went wrong with TLJ. I believe a retcon is the only way to fix the saga going forward and keep the money flowing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

It just doesn't work though. The scene in TLJ is clearly meant to be a death scene. Trying to say "psych, this is what actually happened" will insult the audience's intelligence/make it seem like they really are just going to retcon TLJ. And as much as I hate many of the choices made in TLJ, IX will never work if they're attempting to retcon everything and tell some kind of satisfying climax and conclusion. They're stuck with the bed that's been made. They gotta work off of that and figure out the best way to salvage it. I don't envy JJ on bit there, but diving into the retcon-a-thon is a nasty can of worms. 

I know it doesn't work on paper, but that's why you get a talented writer to fix it and make it work.  They do stupid shit in movies all the time that are ignored.  The Fast and Furious franchise is famous for this and they make billions of dollars.  For me, and I'm not going to speak for anyone else, but for me, I want answers from TFA.  I want a story that answers questions for TFA and I want Luke to be the Luke we know from the original trilogy.  That's just me.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

I agree with you that they are taking it out of context (which is not surprising) but I think that he should have addressed the actual criticisms they had instead of brushing it aside. "Backlash is nothing to fret over" - fans interpreted this as Lucasfilms is not listening to them as far as the handling of characters not regarding the diversity, identity politics stuff.

Again, taking out of context but betrayed is the word I keep falling back on when I see people make these long videos that get hundreds and thousands of views about TLJ and boycotting Solo. That's the term I see the most in the comments.

And as far as the games go, they have a point. EA/Dice did fuck them over (at least so far). They straight up lied and said they were going to expand the game with new worlds and characters with each movie and instead gave it up on it after all the backlash of the microtransactions after they fixed what should have never been there to start. They keep delaying the next phase and while they do, people stopped playing.

Yeah that 2 backlash they should address.

The game one is maybe easier has a lot of it is mechanics and not artistic, but it is a huge one that did hurt their bottom line a lot. 

Regarding the lore in the Disney movies, that is quite harder and I am not sure what more they can do than bringing Abrams back like they did.

I think certain fans of TLJ, and the media and JJ and Rian themselves trying to dismiss issues about TLJ as sexists and racists, have likely harshly divided the fanbase for a while with their condescending tone and tone-deaf statements. 

For example, the MRA cut was made by a fringe and yet the media and the people who made TLJ and stared it in made it seemed that it represented the people as a whole who had issues with the film.

1 minute ago, Pure Spirit said:

Agree. Episode IX needs to retcon Luke somehow so he's still alive. A "force ghost" won't be enough. As difficult as it will be to properly retcon, I think it mostly re-unite the fanbase. Have a teaser trailer with Luke Skywalker pulling a capital ship out of the sky. Suddenly Episode IX has a strong hook and a fanbase to back it up.

Is this really a good solution though?

People who like TLJ for what it did will be confused.  The hardcore fans won't see it as a serious retcon so much as a giant pander.  And how are those fans expected to go enjoy this new trilogy after doing something like that?  To them TFA and TLJ will be skippable messes, especially TLJ.

There may be some solutions, but nothing is obvious here.  Can't just erase TLJ, and you can't ignore it either.  Pandering directly to the fanbase is a horrible mistake in the opposite direction.

• Like 2

Just now, filmlover said:

Any time I see fans talking about their ideas about how a future movie not yet made should be done, my memory goes back to the immense backlash when Heath Ledger was cast as The Joker twelve years ago.

makes no sense. As soon as people saw Ledger in the trailer for TDK, everyone was onboard with his performance. We've seen the full Last Jedi movie, and many of us were not pleased with what we saw. 

• Like 1

This is a video about TLJ.  It's long, but based on the substance of the arguments, I think the people in charge at Disney should watch and listen carefully. The guy is a very well known dungeon master for an RPG game and was lead writer at a video game studio for years, and has written several books. He has a history of recreational and professional writing so it's not like he is some random angry fan. He just thinks the movies haven't been great. It would be a useful perspective for anyone wondering about where the franchise is faltering. 

There were so many moments in this movie where I felt like they'd done all the work to achieve something really spectacular, and they just walked away from it. Dropped it, like the whole thing was a waste of time.

Oh and he says he liked Rose lmao.

Edited by Bobbybuilderton

Just now, Premium George said:

Barnack just posted it was a out of context quote. Here, fans are the problem for being dumb to be offended by that statement.

It doesn't matter if it's out of context, it's a stupid thing to say even in context. It fit the existing narrative that KK, Rian, and JJ saw existing Star Wars fans as disposable, that they'd see the movies no matter what was done to the franchise. Solo has shown that not to be the case.