Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

8 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Feel like IW has wipe out half of the audience of SOLO....that's why the number is solow

Maybe IW is benefiting from walkups where people change their mind and decide to see IW instead of Solo? I know I was very tempted to just see IW again instead of Solo.

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Rthanos said:

Mon looking Solo 18.8, DP2 10.8, AIW 5.5

-23% , -30% and -17% respectively.

Fantastic for IW, okay for Solo, and atrocious for DP2. Chances for 300M are increasingly fading away.

• Like 3

Before my 6:30PM AIW showing tonight, I checked the 6:30PM Solo showing as a lark.  They'd sold the same amount of tickets.  

• Thanks 1

Solid number for Solo.

Quite a bad drop for DP2.

Expected but good number for IW, right in line with Memorial Day drops of other MCU May openers.

8 minutes ago, MattW said:

Deadpool gets a great Sunday but then a bigger than average Monday drop.  Still not sure what to make of it so far.

-32% drop Sat-Mon. Higher than -29.5% of Aliens: covenant last year.

• Like 1

Just now, Sam said:

Solid number for Solo.

Quite a bad drop for DP2.

Expected but good number for IW, right in line with Memorial Day drops of other MCU May openers.

Sam, solid number for Solo...

You’re the best.  But Sam...

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Biggestgeekever said:

$300M is pretty much done for DP2. Incredibles 2 and Jurassic World 2 aren't going to allow for late legs to develop in June; I'm thinking $275-280M finish. Still great, but to beat a dead horse, it should not have released in May.

All summer tentpoles can't be June and July releases. We keep getting these arguments that DP2 and Solo were so hurt by their May releases. So should this whole month have just been barren then? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kowhite said:

Sam, solid number for Solo...

You’re the best.  But Sam...

Hey, OS opening goes up a good 3M from early estimates.

And domestic also go up since the 101M 4-day estimate.

Gotta give credits where credits’ due.

Edited by Sam
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

All summer tentpoles can't be June and July releases. We keep getting these arguments that DP2 and Solo were so hurt by their May releases. So should this whole month have just been barren then? 

June and July have the benefit of summer weekdays which allow people to see these films more before the next film hits, and I don't think anyone is suggesting that DP2 should have released then; we all think it was the perfect fit for a Mid August or early September tentpole.

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I think what @Biggestgeekever is saying as well as others is that DP2 should not have been released THIS particular May because it's so close to the release of Infinity War which judging by its numbers is going strong and would probably be going stronger if it didn't lose premium screens and showtimes. 

If I'm studios and I have a bigger May release set for next year, I'm moving it....particularly that John Wick 3 movie that's slated for a May 2019 release. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sam said:

Hey, OS opening goes up a god 3M from early estimates.

And domestic also go up since the 101M 4-day estimate.

Gotta give credits where credits’ due.

Well, I love optimism.

Considering the way DP2 performing, sticking with the June release date would not have been good either. And OS would have suffered much more.

August could have been good for DP2

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nova said:

If I'm Lionsgate, I'm moving John Wick 3 out of that May 17th slot and moving it fast :ph34r:

I mean, John Wick doesn’t need to do nearly the numbers Solo does to be a success.  So, I’m not sure that’s a proper assessment.  

• Like 1

This late April release for AIW is even better than December IMO. It had whole 3 weeks to itself competition less. This specifically helped it OS. It may have done a bit more domestically if released in Dec, but no way it does more OS. AIW opened to earth shatterring numbers OS and then sustained very well because of no competition. This won't happen in December. That's why next year also I hope A4 releases late April.

Edited by oMeriMombatti
  • Like 4

Just now, kowhite said:

I mean, John Wick doesn’t need to do nearly the numbers Solo does to be a success.  So, I’m not sure that’s a proper assessment.  

John Wick 3 has the same release date as what Deadpool 2 had but instead it gets Infinity War Part 2 a whole week closer to it. 

I know John Wick 3 doesn't need to make a lot of money. Neither did Deadpool 2 but if I'm Lionsgate and I'm seeing what happened to a fellow rated R film that also relies on a niche audience in that slot, I consider moving it.