Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

I suppose there is always the option to merge the next trilogy into this one. Don't make IX the finale, maybe make this whole arc a huge 6 episode one that spans two trilogies and XII is the climax. Then you can spend a lot of time in IX course correcting. 

5 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

:redcapes:

Was so much the right updated version of what a business men that people fear is, not the rail road developer tycoon type. It was a really good idea imo and that part worked for me.

7 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Make it more than a trilogy. Turn 9 into what TLJ could have been with Luke actually training Rey. Have Snoke come back. Make him know that Kylo was going to kill that version of him and that was the final part of his training or bring in another major evil character outside of Kylo that Snoke was just an underdog too.

The problems that people have could be fixed.

And this new trilogy will be known as remake of OT if they do this.

68m is bad.  Real bad.  I hope they ignore it.  Those money men may. It let them cause, it’s bad,  but still, ignore it.  Solo 2 though.  Naaaaaaa.  And Solo was ok.  Wosrt of the new new though.

Edited by kowhite
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

The BO gross ratio looks like it's going to end up pretty close, though. The fact is I don't think any of us have a reliable metric to determine just how many of TLJ's viewers are among that "betrayed" camp, nor an idea of exactly what could be done to get them back while not losing anyone else. Okay, JJ Abrams might help, but they could certainly turn on him just like they did Lucas. 

However many fans have truly been "lost", I don't think there's a solution to getting Star Wars back over $700 million at the domestic box office simple enough for Disney to stress its finance department over. Just make the film they'd intended to make and hope audiences receive it well.

I think Solo is our best idea until 9 comes out. Especially the WW number (not counting for China - where the interest has always been lacking). I think the number in the betrayed camp is a lot higher than some internet nerds and I believe that Lucasfilms would be wise to treat it that way even if that's not the case.

As far as the last part. It's probably true but I still want to hold out hope that it can come back and make the most people it can happy again. I would have liked to see another Solo movie with that cast. I think it could have happened but the reception to TLJ along with all the bad press beforehand was too much to overcome.

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

articles earlier this year said Rian Johnson threw out what JJ Abrams originally planned

http://www.slashfilm.com/jj-abrams-episode-8-story-rian-johnson/

some people claimed that Abrams was always leading into what Rian was going to do. Doesn't look like that was the case at all

Best not to even bother arguing this. I brought this up a couple months ago when the reports of it started hitting and basically got told I was just projecting my own opinion onto what Rian did. Whatever, it doesn't take a genius to figure out a lot was changed from TFA's setups and TFA to TLJ don't exactly have an organic flow. 

• Like 6

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

articles earlier this year said Rian Johnson threw out what JJ Abrams originally planned

http://www.slashfilm.com/jj-abrams-episode-8-story-rian-johnson/

some people claimed that Abrams was always leading into what Rian was going to do. Doesn't look like that was the case at all

Maybe but Abrams certainly knew where Rian was going and liked it based on reports we got during TFA's post-production and TLJ's pre-production?

I don't see Abrams ignoring or retconning Episode 8 and if he did, I'd abandon any future Star Wars movies. Maybe that's what a lot of people want but then nothing matters and it's just loads of fan service. No thanks. I'd much rather watch franchises interested in telling good stories.

• Thanks 3

1 movie is not enough to wrap up all the stuff from 7&8 well. Not really sure what there plans for X were originally, if they even had any (follow Rey and Ren's kids or something? :gold:) but you if you really want to get the overall Rey/Ren/Poe/Finn series back to a good place you need to at least spend IX and X on it imo.    

Not sure that would be worth it, might be better to just cap things off with a sort of messy IX and then leave the skywalker saga alone for a decade to do cool stuff that isn't propped up from OT novelty.

Edited by Thanos Legion

just want to point out people blaming the release date for Solo's underperformance really shows the situation we are in. Star Wars is supposed to be the king of all franchises and movies are supposed to run away from Star Wars. Not the other way around

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Water Bottle said:

Maybe but Abrams certainly knew where Rian was going and liked it based on reports we got during TFA's post-production and TLJ's pre-production?

I don't see Abrams ignoring or retconning Episode 8 and if he did, I'd abandon any future Star Wars movies. Maybe that's what a lot of people want but then nothing matters and it's just loads of fan service. No thanks. I'd much rather watch franchises interested in telling good stories.

Yeah, and I get where you're coming from there. It's undercutting this entire sequel trilogy if they start retconning, imo. It's kinda like why did we even bother watching these movies prior to this one? So I just think it's a really crappy situation. I feel like the best bet is to find some way to make the most out of what they have. 

1 minute ago, Premium George said:

And this new trilogy will be known as remake of OT if they do this.

And if they do, how is it any way worse then the reception TLJ got. If TLJ was done closer to ESB do you think it would have upset this many of the hardcore fans? I don't. I think there would have been a lot of people bitching that it was going in circles but I don't think the backlash would have been nearly this bad if they had kept Luke alive.

And a lot of fans wanted to see Rey turn towards the dark side and Kylo towards the light and Leia. The last film could have been about Luke turning her back and his reason being was that she was the daughter of Obi Wan/Luke himself.

I don't necessarily love this idea but I can't lie that it would have taken the series in a new direction, been something we haven't necessarily seen and added more depth to both Kylo and Rey then what we currently have.

4 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

good stories? Where?

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Was so much the right updated version of what a business men that people fear is, not the rail road developer tycoon type. It was a really good idea imo and that part worked for me.

A more modern Silicon Valley inspired Lex was a fine idea imo, and I think the casting was workable, but the direction they took his performance was just too jarring for me to take seriously as an intelligent supervillain.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

just want to point out people blaming the release date for Solo's underperformance really shows the situation we are in. Star Wars is supposed to be the king of all franchises and movies are supposed to run away from Star Wars. Not the other way around

No one's blaming the release date. The blame falls upon Lucasfilm for spending $300M+ on a project that nobody was actually clamoring for (when it should have, at best, cost half of that).

• Like 1

Just now, John Marston said:

I do believe the 5 month was an issue (not the only).  Too much the same, no matter, how good...this ain’t TV...that has big budget issues, whether right or wrong.  TLJ...great fucking movie... but, I am not everyone...and I’m sad to say....it’s a little bit responsible.  But damn that was a good movie.  God damn you people who didn’t like it.

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

7 minutes ago, kowhite said:

68m is bad.  Real bad.  I hope they ignore it.  Those money men may. It let them cause, it’s bad,  but still, ignore it.  Solo 2 though.  Naaaaaaa.  And Solo was ok.  Wosrt of the new new though.

Double down on it. Produce Solo 2 and 3 back-to-back. 

Connect it with the new Boba Fett movie too.

• Haha 1

• Community Manager
Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Yeah, and I get where you're coming from there. It's undercutting this entire sequel trilogy if they start retconning, imo. It's kinda like why did we even bother watching these movies prior to this one? So I just think it's a really crappy situation. I feel like the best bet is to find some way to make the most out of what they have. 

The best bet is to let JJ Abrams tell the story he freaking wants to tell regardless of what people on the internet are screaming about. Don't worry about course correction: focus on making the movie Abrams wants to tell based on where Rian Johnson left the characters/universe in. He's a great storyteller in my experience.