CJohn

BOX OFFICE THEORY WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM WEEKEND THREAD | 150 OW OFFICIAL ESTIMATE | No Spoilers, Read Rules First Post! | First Post Updated with Sale Info

8 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Are you suggesting that presales don’t matter ? This didn’t even come close to movies with strong  presales like TLJ, IW,BP, I2 e.t.c.

I guess it beat solo :hahaha:

No he’s saying presales were useless for projecting this particular films performance.

According to the tracking thread on these forums, they were indicating a sub $100m opening. Lol. 

• Like 7

Also, it’s good to see JW open this high because my theater’s comps were indicating something bigger than the 12-13M Deadline initially reported. Given how my area is, I trusted Deadline more. Big mistake :kitschjob:

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

I think presales is a horrible way to judge a film.  Unless they are so out of this world like they were for TFA, you can't really get a true gauge of what a film will do based on presales.  Take me for example, I go to maybe 70-90 films a year, and the only film in my life I have ever pre-bought for was TFA.

Same! TFA only film i pre-bought. Overall i dont understand why so many people buy tickets earlier. You can always get sick that day or just be busy. It's better to just do reservation.

Edited by Damianport1
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

dino's, capes and light swords. It's all getting stale now. Big YAWN from me

Yeah because blue aliens is what is missing to spice up the box office . Well maybe we will see them again in this lifetime or maybe not 😀

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

I think presales is a horrible way to judge a film.  Unless they are so out of this world like they were for TFA, you can't really get a true gauge of what a film will do based on presales.  Take me for example, I go to maybe 70-90 films a year, and the only film in my life I have ever pre-bought for was TFA.

I keep meaning to ask you this as you see quite a bit of movies, have you seen this or signed up for this as it’s new to Canada now? 

https://www.sinemia.com/new-plans/ca/thornhill

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I keep meaning to ask you this as you see quite a bit of movies, have you seen this or signed up for this as it’s new to Canada now? 

https://www.sinemia.com/new-plans/ca/thornhill

I just discovered it two days ago.  I will sign up for it but they want the whole year in advance.  That's $180.00.  I will wait till maybe the end of the summer to do it.  

Even though it's nowhere near the deal moviepass is, still three movies a month is a huge savings for me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

No he’s saying presales were useless for projecting this particular films performance.

According to the tracking thread on these forums, they were indicating a sub $100m opening. Lol. 

Lol indeed. I still cant believe how obviously stupid those predictions were :rofl: many i think were blinded by their dislike for the JP franchise which is always a terrible way to do a BO projection.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, baumer said:

But most, if not all, films with very strong presales are breaking records. Maybe a film comes once in a while  that does better than its presales are showing but presales are usually a good metric to judge how a film will open and very strong presales separate the films that will open “nice” (like JW2) from the films that will have monstrous openings like TLJ, IW and even I2 (for an animation film).

• Like 2

Just now, Brainbug said:

Lol indeed. I still cant believe how obviously stupid those predictions were :rofl: many i think were blinded by their dislike for the JP franchise which is always a terrible way to do a BO projection.

I learned a valuable lesson once when I predicted SLOP 2 over #FTSBF...that was all because of my dislike of Pixar.  Betting with  emotion is never a good thing. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JB33 said:

What's going on with @Rthanos anyway. Not that I feel entitled to the numbers but we're all just so used to him coming here with them that you can't help but wonder when he doesn't show up. Hope everything is okay.

I am such a fanboy of him that if something happened to him i wold die, i don't care even if he doesn't post more numbers here, just that he is ok because he seems like a really cool and nice guy.

• Like 2

Just now, Thrylos 7 said:

But most, if not all, films with very strong presales are breaking records. Maybe a film comes once in a while  that does better than its presales are showing but presales are usually a good metric to judge how a film will open and very strong presales separate the films that will open “nice” (like JW2) from the films that will have monstrous openings like TLJ, IW and even I2 (for an animation film).

So you named 3 films that had huge presales.  There are dozen of other examples that go against this theory.  There are still way more people who walk up to a window to buy a ticket than do it on line.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, baumer said:

I just discovered it two days ago.  I will sign up for it but they want the whole year in advance.  That's $180.00.  I will wait till maybe the end of the summer to do it.  

Even though it's nowhere near the deal moviepass is, still three movies a month is a huge savings for me.

Ya as a family we see a ton of movies and the best thing I’ve found so far is signing up for the scene visa and putting all my bill payments and literally everything I buy on it and paying it off monthly.

When I factor in deals from scene and using the card I’ve received about 65 premium tickets in the 2 and a half years since I’ve had the card which is pretty good when you factor in a lot of those tickets have been for vip theatres which are $26/ticket. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, edmkh said:

I am such a fanboy of him that if something happened to him i wold die, i don't care even if he doesn't post more numbers here, just that he is ok because he seems like a really cool and nice guy.

@JB33.....I posted this a couple of hours ago, he texted me last night and said that life and work is incredibly busy right now and he doesn't have a lot of time to post.  He's good otherwise.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1