CJohn

BOX OFFICE THEORY WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM WEEKEND THREAD | 150 OW OFFICIAL ESTIMATE | No Spoilers, Read Rules First Post! | First Post Updated with Sale Info

7 minutes ago, JB33 said:

You're doing it all over again, man!

:hahaha:

Doing what exactly ? I predicted 1.1 billion for this WW and I believe it will be pretty close to that . I NEVER predicted sub-100 million ow in the U.S , or sub-1 billion WW or whatever. I predicted a big drop WW from the first film, and it’s happening. 

My only remaining prediction is bad legs and not reaching 400 million in the U.S, that remains to be seen.

15 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

This after his hand-wringing a couple weeks ago about the quietest first weekend of June, even though DEADPOOL 2 had been scheduled there and was moved.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

The successes for this summers blockbusters is another clear signal for Hollywood: If they deliver films (and especially sequels) that the moviegoers actually ask for, they will come to see them. Last summer had so many unwarranted and unneccessary tentpoles (Alien: Covenant, Transformers 5, Cars 3 for example), this summer delivers the goods and as a conseqence, the numbers are great.

IDK, I'm curious how FK's legs will play out. Yes, I think people wanted a JW sequel, but I don't necessarily think they wanted what FK gives them. Could definitely see it pulling a TLJ

(and to be clear I loved TFA and TLJ and wasn't a fan of either JW film lol)

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

I don’t think 700 is completely dead for Incredibles yet. Let’s not forget the inevitable Labor Day re-expansion will add an extra 10-15M or so

700 is dead, Jerry.

Good job @Brainbug, FK held better than JW for Sat/Sun which I definitely wouldn't have thought possible even yesterday. It indeed performed nothing like any direct sequel has in the preview era in terms of preview multis, so good call. 

I2 second weekend drop sucks, but there's no way I see 3.5x+ being dead yet. IW's summer crown and BP's yearly crown are officially out of play though. 620-650. 

• Thanks 1

I2's drop makes sense in the context of a 150m opener. I didn't think FK was doing anywhere near that much, hence I2 would have easily been able to do something more like 90-100 this weekend. It will course correct next weekend though. There's zero chance of that movie ending with a poor multi, and 3x is a poor multi for animation. 

700 million died before the weekend began and not so sure about 600 million now. 50/50 on that for now. Luckily a 100 million OW animated movie isn't opening for the rest of the summer so should have pretty good legs from here on out. 

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I2's drop makes sense in the context of a 150m opener. I didn't think FK was doing anywhere near that much, hence I2 would have easily been able to do something more like 90-100 this weekend. It will course correct next weekend though. There's zero chance of that movie ending with a poor multi, and 3x is a poor multi for animation. 

I2 will definetly benefit from beeing the only animated 4-quadrant blockbuster in town as i dont think Hotel Transyilvania will make more than 150M DOM, so its not competition a la The Secret Life of Pets. A finish around 575-605M seems likely to me, but i dont see it catching TLJ/TA at this point.

12 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Oooooo I'll take that bet too. I say it finishes with under a 3x. 😃

6 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I2 will definetly benefit from beeing the only animated 4-quadrant blockbuster in town as i dont think Hotel Transyilvania will make more than 150M DOM, so its not competition a la The Secret Life of Pets. A finish around 575-605M seems likely to me, but i dont see it catching TLJ/TA at this point.

I'm not putting any limit on how well it can hold next weekend and the weekend after. There's nothing of note next weekend and the following is a holiday one.