CJohn

BOX OFFICE THEORY WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM WEEKEND THREAD | 150 OW OFFICIAL ESTIMATE | No Spoilers, Read Rules First Post! | First Post Updated with Sale Info

10 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Nobody was tricked by nostalgia. The film didn't have a hook, that is what is damaging it the most. And the mediocre leaning negative reviews aren't helping matters. Still I hope it hits 65mil Friday just to keep things interesting.

I agree. However they have the opportunity to create a great hook for JW3... let's see with they'll do things right, I have a feeling that Sam Neil and Laura Dern are returning for the last movie (they've been interacting a lot with the jurassic fans lately and Colin Trevorrow and Jeff Goldblum mentioned them multiple times during the JWFK press tour).

• Like 1

While we wait for updated estimates, GQ compiled its list of the best films of the year so far (presented in no particular order evidently). It's a solid list with one head-scratcher.

https://www.gq.com/story/the-best-movies-of-2018-so-far

First Reformed

Black Panther

Thoroughbreds

The Incredibles 2

Annihilation

The Commuter (huh?)

The Day After

Won't You Be My Neighbor?

Love, Simon

Tully

Game Night

Paddington 2

Edited by LonePirate

3 hours ago, LonePirate said:

While we wait for updated estimates, GQ compiled its list of the best films of the year so far (presented in no particular order evidently). It's a solid list with one head-scratcher.

First Reformed

Black Panther

Thorooughbreds

The Incredibles 2

Annihilation

The Commuter (huh?)

The Day After

Love, Simon

Tully

Game Night

Paddington 2

The Commuter would probably make my top ten so far.  :ph34r:

• Like 1

You know what’s really petty & stupid at times?

Folks who think they want a JP-blockbuster to do worse than expected because of their factual hatred......and they never learn because it mostly never works. Even some of the most hated sequels the 3 first sequels did respectively good....same thing with the POTC-sequels...even the 5th one’s $795M WW-gross, which while not as big as the other Pirates-sequels, was big nonetheless.

I think folks are blindedly basing the mass underperformance out of their wishful wantings rather than accept their overperformances. Yes, i know the three first TF-sequels aren’t good films in the eyes of the audiences & critics, but you cannot deny that they were large box office hits with two of them hitting over $1B+ WW. It’s just nature sometimes. No matter how bad the films are....if they made billions of dollars, they’re billionaires. So you can’t blame the audience for giving money to wrong popcorn-flicks.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

First Reformed

Black Panther

Thorooughbreds

The Incredibles 2

Annihilation

The Commuter (huh?)

The Day After

Love, Simon

Tully

Game Night

Paddington 2

No A QUIET PLACE?

• ...wtf 1

No we're all going to do out top ten of the year...so here's mine and then I'm going to bed lol

1) Infinity War

2) Adrift

3) Ready Player One

4) Book Club

5) Unsane

6) Deadpool 2

7) Den of Theives

😎 Death Wish

9> Red Sparrow

10) Black Panther

11) Commuter

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DAJK said:

For what it’s worth, FK did the equivalent of 57.9M Friday at my theatre. And that’s off of a 13.1M Thursday not 15.3

I firmly believe it will do something like that overall.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, bladels said:

IW did freaking $2B WW, +$500M from TA, +$600M from AOU, +$900M from CW and Thrylos still find a way to be disappointed so don't argue with him about JW2 :sweat:

that 500m increase is all from inflation and china growth since 2012. 

It sold the same amount of tickets WW-China.

CBO has grown 400% since 2012, so did TA to IW.  Its technically flat.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

No we're all going to do out top ten of the year...so here's mine and then I'm going to bed lol

1) Infinity War

2) Adrift

3) Ready Player One

4) Book Club

5) Unsane

6) Deadpool 2

7) Den of Theives

😎 Death Wish

9> Red Sparrow

10) Black Panther

11) Commuter

Infinity War at number 1? I see your treachery knows no bounds good sir. I will not stand for this heresy of the highest order! 

What was I talking about again? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Plenty of blockbusters have gotten A- cinemascores and have only had bad or mediocre legs to show for it. I don't take the score at face value most of the time for that very reason. Usually films with A or A+ scores do have at least decent legs though.  

1 minute ago, POTUS said:

that 500m increase is all from inflation and china growth since 2012. 

It sold the same amount of tickets WW-China.

CBO has grown 400% since 2012, so did TA to IW.  Its technically flat.

2012 exchange rates were far more favorable than 2018 or 2015 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

First Reformed

Black Panther

Thoroughbreds

The Incredibles 2

Annihilation

The Commuter (huh?)

The Day After

Love, Simon

Tully

Game Night

Paddington 2

The Commuter's rlly good, Goffe hated it if you want more proof

anyway:

1. Annihilation
  2. Paddington 2
  3. Hereditary
  4. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
  5. Tully
  6. Incredibles 2
  7. Thoroughbreds
  8. Unsane
  9. A Quiet Place
  10. Avengers: Infinity War
  11. Deadpool 2
  12. Upgrade
  13. Ready Player One
  14. On Body and Soul
  15. Black Panther
  16. The Commuter
  17. Ocean's 8
  18. Blockers
  19. Love, Simon
  20. The Director and the Jedi
  • Like 1

I want a more diverse critic pool but not so that they can go easy on films led by black and brown people regardless of quality. That seems to be the implication from some and I find that to be disturbing. Liking a movie because the protagonist looks like you is shitty when white dudes sometimes do it and it's shitty when anyone else does it as well.