baumer

Weekend Thread....Please read the staff announcement pg 104 (Solo 29.2...DP 23.3...Adrift 11.5)

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

Or maybe these critics  - who may as well understand more of filmmaking than you do - just liked the movie?

Have you ever thought about that?

Sure but it’s clear that a large segment of the public disagreed with these people and are obviously looking for something different in a Star Wars move than “subverting expectations”

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

You are falling for the same mind trap as dcu fans

It is not onlyabout how much you make now but how it effects futurecash flows 

Yep. When I see “solutions” like “keep Luke alive”, they bring a smile on my face. This will only prevent ep9 from flopping, say under a billion worldwide, and be at TLJ levels , nothing more. We have entire continents lost for the SW franchise and “Luke staying alive” won’t bring them back. New heroes , new worlds , more impressive visuals for the next trilogy is what is needed.

• Thanks 1

Just now, boomboom234 said:

Sure but it’s clear that a large segment of the public disagreed with these people and are obviously looking for something different in a Star Wars move than “subverting expectations”

None of which has to do with his bonkers idea that Disney thought the movie was bad pre-release and was trying to big it up with news of a fake trilogy. :lol:

Just now, baumer said:

So the guy who made the third highest grossing film of all time is someone wrong for the job?

Hmmm...ok.

He’s never made anything original in his life everything he does is a greatest hits version of a franchise or other director and his mystery box style of filmmaking usually creates a less than satisfying ending look at Lost for that. Star Wars needs new ideas and JJ will make Death Star part 5

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Or maybe these critics  - who may as well understand more of filmmaking than you do - just liked the movie?

Have you ever thought about that?

Are you saying that critics always review movies based on artistic merit? 

Ohhh, that's cute...

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, baumer said:

You know how you fix E9?  bring Luke back.  That's it.  No one said he was dead.  Then he has his final confrontation with Kylo.  Then you answer the questions from part 7, like why Maz had Luke's sabre from Empire strikes Back.  You give a better reason as to why Rey is not just strong with the force but downright God like.  You get Meryl Streep to play Leia.  You get into more backstory about the Knights of Ren.  Basically you undo all the bullshit that Johnson did in TLJ.

There, I said it.  

And now I'll go hybernate while you guys tear me to shreds.

Lol so now even Carrie Fisher's untimely death is Rian Johnson's fault, okay.

Also I don't want to sound nasty to you baumer but I don't get what is up with butthurt SW nerds and the Knights of Ren. I'm more talking about this dude at my work who hates TLJ and every time he brings it up it's always "WHAT ABOUT THE KNIGHTS OF REN?" I had seriously forgot about them, weren't they in TFA for like half a second? I'm not saying it's not a legitimate complaint, I just don't get it at all.

2.8 is a very solid number, I think we could see about 11.5 for the weekend for a 670-690 total. Fingers still crossed for TDK and Thunderball adjusted.        

Also, looks like it should be north of 1.05B for US+China to me, so between 2B and TFA for sure.

Just now, boomboom234 said:

He’s never made anything original in his life everything he does is a greatest hits version of a franchise or other director and his mystery box style of filmmaking usually creates a less than satisfying ending look at Lost for that. Star Wars needs new ideas and JJ will make Death Star part 5

Where did you read the script for Episode IX?

In any case, judging a movie before one has even seen a teaser for it, just because of the director, is not helpul at all.

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

What was Disney thinking ?

Opening so close to Action Point was a stupid move.

A Disney exec flat or blamed Infinity War and Deadpool 2 for this underperformance. A Deadpool movie supposedly hurting a SW movie. Who would have ever thought it 

15 minutes ago, baumer said:

Luke never should have been gone.  And this trilogy so far has mismanaged that part.

Oh man...i keep saying I'm going to stop talking about this stuff.....and then....

sopranos.png

As with so many other things in this new trilogy, I think they were replicating Obi Wan-Luke with Luke-Rey and thus Obi Wan died and so did Luke. 

Besides it seems in the SW universe being the mentor is a dangerous job since pretty much every Jedi and Sith mentors die. Although with the Sith its the protege doing the murdering (thus keeping Darth Banes rule of two philosophy alive). 

2 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

Are you saying that critics always review movies based on artistic merit? 

Ohhh, that's cute...

No, critics are humans, not machines. They are not any less subjective as we are. Still doesnt make you look less stupid for arguing that they are "dishonest". Honestly, you come across as pretty childish with your obvious hatred for TLJ. Guys like @baumer didnt like the movie as well, but he and many others are so much more mature about it than you.

Grow up.

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, LaughingEvans said:

Problem is, LF didn't go for a course correction after TLJ subverted box office expectations. They deflected all criticism.

When would they have gone for a course correction?   

The only movie that's come out since then is Solo and it was made before TLJ came out and had it's own BTS issues that spilled over in the mainstream.

My advice to Lucasfilms & JJ for Ep 9 :

Stop making your characters obnoxious pricks.

I sympathized more for Kylo Ren in Last Jedi so yup, good job Rian, great writing.

I would like to ask JJ if he thinks the predicament he is in right now is tougher that the predicament with Force Awakens, the 4B$ movie (Bob Iger s words at diner parties with JJ).

• Like 1