baumer

Weekend Thread....Please read the staff announcement pg 104 (Solo 29.2...DP 23.3...Adrift 11.5)

1 minute ago, Nova said:

I don't even know what Mars Needs Moms is. 

Probably explains why it's the biggest box office bomb on that list 

:sparta:

It was a mo-cap animated film about aliens who abduct moms and one boy coming on board the ship to rescue his. It effectively killed Robert Zemeckis' mo-cap animation studio which always spent an absurd amount of money and saw zero profit each time (even if The Polar Express has become very profitable over the years via DVD sales and annual TV broadcastings). Why Disney thought children wanted to see a premise that potentially upsetting is beyond me.

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

And what source are you using to determine what is the biggest flops?

The Chart is from The-Numbers.com

I don't think its accurate though.

Their budget estimates are very off, They say Avatar's budget is 425M while wiki/BOM says 237M

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

How Do You Know low-key has one of the absolute craziest budgets ever. 

50M of the 120M was for talent. Witherspoon(15M), Nicholson(12M), Wilson(10M), Brooks(10M), Rudd(3M). An extremely dumb decision on par with Ghostbusters2 talent budget.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, oMeriMombatti said:

50M of the 120M was for talent. Witherspoon(15M), Nicholson(12M), Wilson(10M), Brooks(10M), Rudd(3M). An extremely dumb decision on par with Ghostbusters2 talent budget.

haha rudd's basically the lead of that movie $3million ain't chump change but OWEN WILSON getting 10 with 15 minutes of screentime i hope he got a new agent

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

The Chart is from The-Numbers.com

I don't think its accurate though.

Their budget estimates are very off, They say Avatar's budget is 425M while wiki/BOM says 237M

That Numbers chart doesn't list the "budget", it says "expense", maybe they've thrown in marketing costs?  That doesn't seem right for some of those movies, either, the numbers are still off.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

haha rudd's basically the lead of that movie $3million ain't chump change but OWEN WILSON getting 10 with 15 minutes of screentime i hope he got a new agent

He's a Marvel lead now while Owen Wilson just headlined a bomb :Venom: 

Edited by WrathOfHan

2 minutes ago, BoxOfficeChica said:

That Numbers chart doesn't list the "budget", it says "expense", maybe they've thrown in marketing costs.

Then John Carter's marketing expense would be about $50m and King Arthur's less than $25m

Nope.

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

He's a Marvel lead now while Owen Wilson just headlined a bomb :Venom: 

i think inherent vice is the most recent movie i've seen owen wilson in. it's been a minute. surprised he wasn't in isle of dogs.

27 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Pretty wonky chart.  It doesn't seem to account for marketing, other releasing expenses, all ancillaries or which market the movie was made. 

LOL at expenses down to the thousands.  Yeah, these numbers are made up.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Though that $3m is probably more than he got for the first Ant-Man  

Hemsworth earned only 200K for the first Thor. Feige is still ok but Perlmutter is very cheap. I remember during Avengers premiere he asked media that there's only 1 can of coke for 1 person or something and nobody should take more. Glad he got fired from the movies division of the MCU.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i think inherent vice is the most recent movie i've seen owen wilson in. it's been a minute. surprised he wasn't in isle of dogs.

Wonder and Cars 3 here, but I'm blanking for anything before that. Maybe Inherent Vice as you said

https://deadline.com/2018/06/shailene-woodley-adrift-solo-star-wars-story-action-point-weekend-box-office-1202401740/

We’ll have studio-reported estimates for you later this morning, but it’s still a dull weekend at the box office, and Saturday night really didn’t move the needle that much. Disney’s Solo: A Star Wars Story grossed an estimated $12.25M, +51% over Friday and putting the spinoff’s second weekend between $29M-$30M, which is the lowest for the second weekend of any Disney Star Wars title and the 20th Century Fox Episodes I-III

20th Century Fox’s Deadpool 2, looks to come in around where we saw it with $23.6M, -46% for $254.9M. The point is, business is still strong for this R-rated superhero, and don’t think just because it’s R, it’s not stealing money away from Solo. Pic is on its way to $300M+ stateside, the first DP made $363M.

The rest of the weekend’s counterprogramming really wasn’t something to scream jolly to the sky about, but two out of three of their distributors are fine with their own results. One thing is for sure, the Paramount R-rated Johnny Knoxville comedy Action Point tanked with an estimated $2.3M off a $19M budget in 9th place, the star’s lowest wide release debut ever, even lower then the 2012 Paramount comedy Fun Size ($4.1M). We expound on what went sideways here.  STXfilms’ Shailene Woodley-Sam Claflin survival romance Adrift is coming in at $11.5M per the studio, after a $4.3M Saturday, +1%. Though not jawdropping for this $35M title, STXfilms has things structured in this co-finance between Lakeshore, Huayi Brothers and Ingenious co-production where they only have 8% exposure on the budget and are on the hook for estimated $25M P&A. If they get in the $40Ms on the film, after all ancillaries, they’ll see cash. It’s no The Fault in Our Stars, Woodley’s big romance summer hit from four years ago ($48M opening, $124.8M domestic cume), but that property had a huge young female fanbase given the John Green book. Adrift‘s opening is in the range of Fox’s fall survival romance The Mountain Between Us ($10.5M), and under Fox’s teen drama Paper Towns ($12.6M opening, $32M domestic off a $12M budget) and Lakeshore/Lionsgate’s co-production Age of Adaline ($13.2M, $42.6M) starring Blake Lively.

BHTilt’s Leigh Whannell’s sci-fi horror pic Upgrade is the microbudget label’s second highest debut ever after The Darkness ($4.95M opening, $10.7M) with $4.5M. These pics are launched with a very thrifty under $15M P&A largely digital, and targeted toward a 17-40 male crowd in under 1,500 locations. Pic won the SXSW Audience midnight award.

Edited by oMeriMombatti
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, oMeriMombatti said:

The Orchard-MoviePass Ventures’ Sundance acquisition American Animals looks to be raking in an estimated solid $32K per theater with $130K at four New York and Los Angeles sites.

This is a great start. I've seen TV spots for it and TOG posted yesterday the list of locations it'll be opening in throughout the month with The Orchard/Moviepass looking to get it in about 400 theaters or so on 22nd so hopefully it expands well. Would be hilarious if it ended up making more than Action Point.

29 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

How Do You Know low-key has one of the absolute craziest budgets ever. 

$120 million for a live action dramatic comedy. Even more ridiculous than Town & Country and its $90 million budget.