baumer

Weekend Thread....Please read the staff announcement pg 104 (Solo 29.2...DP 23.3...Adrift 11.5)

11 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

65% of 200M DOM: 130M

40% of 150M OS: 60M

190M total revenue for Disney against a production budget of 250-300M, no marketing included. It makes you wonder if reshooting was worth it considering it would still need to clear a ton of checkpoints to be out of the red... but hey, Star Wars is a sure thing, right?

Yeah, this reshooting thing was clearly a dumb move that ballooned the budget unnecessarily. Like hell, if 80% of your movie was shot, you can surely edit something together and it probably would've done just as well as this 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

According to Wikipedia, that would be Pirates 4, which is really strange.

With water productions history of costing fortune (Speed 2, WaterWorld, etc...), a franchise known to have not only a lot but usually the best CGI in the industry and often still the best CGI ever for a couple of year's after release, Johnny Depp rumored 50m deal and a lot of people with giant name returning on a sequel, it is a logical candidate, imo.

If Infinity War didn't beat it.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Who's gonna buy toys for a movie they didnt see?

I had tons of 90’s Batman/Jurassic Park/The Lost World merch as a kid despite not being allowed to see them.  Not that I think this is remotely comparable since I can’t imagine what Solo toys would be that appealing to kids.

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The Pirates sequels are notorious for their huge budgets. They’re basically what kickstarted Disney throwing 200+ at every tentpole without even thinking.

I think its cause they require immense practical sets/effects. Water shit is still not great with CGI. Honestly SW could be so much cheaper if they used more CGI but they need to appease the prequel hating fanboys on that one issue I guess.

Movie Math YouTube feels like the personality a math 200+ course in community college the way it is read and delivered with a particular kind of spunk and energy and the language.  if you see enough of the professors, you will know.  Turn a math professor into a full blown movie nerd and there you go.  *you would get thousands of duplicates.  easy.  Yawnnnnn, movie math!

Edited by Thematrixfilm

8 minutes ago, Nova said:

Disney asking theaters for 65% of episode 9

Theaters: "No." 

Disney: "Then you won't be getting Episode 9" 

Theaters: "Then no one will be watching Episode 9 in theaters. Sad!" 

Disney will soon be doing the begging for screen. Karma is awesome 

If I had to guess...

Initial budget - 180m

Reshoot budget - 80m

Total production budget - 260m

Marketing budget - 100m

Total budget - 360m

Dom - 215 * .65 = 140m

OS - 175 * .4(?) = 70m

Total revenue - 210m

Total loss - 150m minus merch revenue

2 minutes ago, aabattery said:

The Disney SW movies look way better than 99% of blockbusters so they should keep doing what they're doing in that regard.

That awful Valerian film looks better than these new Star Wars...IMO

7 minutes ago, aabattery said:

The Disney SW movies look way better than 99% of blockbusters so they should keep doing what they're doing in that regard.

The first 30 minutes of Solo were so dark it was almost unwatchable.  I was like, "Did you cut down your reshoot budget but NOT hiring back the DOP?"

• Like 2

Heroes Of Might and Magic 3
Age of Empires 2
Warcraft 2
Suiokoden 2
Warcraft 3

TOP 5

RTS>RPG>FPS>THE REST

wrong thread...

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

Just now, captainwondyful said:

The first 30 minutes of Solo were so dark it was almost unwatchable.  I was like, "Did you cut down your reshoot budget but NOT hiring back the DOP?"

I know people are mixed on Solo (I really dig it tho) but Rogue One and TLJ are straight up beautiful.

16 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Yeah, this reshooting thing was clearly a dumb move that ballooned the budget unnecessarily. Like hell, if 80% of your movie was shot, you can surely edit something together and it probably would've done just as well as this 

L&M didn't shoot enough coverage for them to edit around the L&M version which Kennedy & Kasdan didn't like or think worked.  Their not shooting enough coverage was another reason they didn't let them finish and just do re-shoots - they didn't trust them to do coverage then either.

How much do you guys think each IW costs? Those two films are going to cost close to a billion dollars once you get Robert Downey Junior's back-end deal handed out.

1 minute ago, captainwondyful said:

Yeah, I’ve heard complaints from friends who saw it about that. Thought that was odd since it’s not the type of thing I’d ever expect to hear about a modern blockbuster.