Asyulus

INCREDIBLES 2 Weekend |🏆| ACTUALS: 182.7M OW | O8 19M, Tag 14.9M, Solo 10M, DP2 8.7M, IW 5.4M

7 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Bravo to Pixar and Brad Bird for one of the most impressive weekends in box office history. This record will stand for a long, long time

But unfortunately not a forum weekend record... Thanks to the gremlins who run the servers.

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

With is reviews/cinemascore and Considering it faced possibly the biggest F+25 demo opener ever and will face Jurassic World next week it was to be expected.

The budget is much lower and it is a franchise that historically do 2.5 time it's dbo at the WW.

Could easily do a say 118m / 280m wordwide, 4 times it's budget and being a huge success without having a particularly good legs / roll-out.

Paul Feig (was in talk for getting 10-12% of the profits), McCarthy and that huge list of sequels right owner/producer to pay on Ghostbuster:

Produced by 

Dan Aykroyd ... executive producer
Ali Bell ... executive producer
Paul Feig ... executive producer
Jessie Henderson ... executive producer
Michele Imperato ... executive producer (as Michele Imperato Stabile)
Joe Medjuck ... executive producer
Amy Pascal ... producer
James Paul ... associate producer
Alex Plapinger ... associate producer
Tom Pollock ... executive producer
Eric Reich ... associate producer
Ivan Reitman ... producer

Cannot have been cheap on the back end either.

We cannot predict if a sequel will occur or not, because when you have someone like Bullock she probably need to agree to it, but in term of still being profitable with an expected sequel decrease, it should have a lot of room.

Ocean's Thirteen did $311m WW on a $85m budget and that had even less competition so if O8 gets close to that then it's still a success. I do think OS will be lower than O13 though.

Just now, Mekanos said:

Lion King isn't missing a 200 million opening unless it dips below Certified Fresh.

Eh. Both TJB & BATB are the only Disney live action remakes in the Fresh-territory. I think TLK will follow suit with these two. Probably closer to TJB-quality.

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Man I can't wait to see the epic meltdowns next summer when TLK "only" opens to like 170-175. Most overpredicted film of all time, mark it down. 

If this weekend didn't prove to you the massive potential of Lion King, nothing will until it opens.

2 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Whooo boy some of yall youngins really don't understand how all-encompassing Lion King was

Seriously. Look up how much the DVD/VHS sold and how well the broadway show has done and you'll understand why some of us think it can break the OW record.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nova said:

Lion King will open to $200M+. BATB did what it did and TLK is much more popular than it. 

To be fair, Finding Nemo was much more popular in its release than Incredibles, and look where we are.

That said, I do think BATB is the floor for TLK.

I think TLK has a legit shot at the DOM record.

Edited by The Incredible Panda

3 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Whooo boy some of yall youngins really don't understand how all-encompassing Lion King was

I understand exactly how all-encompassing it is, but I think everyone here is also conflating TJB and B+TB's success, films with major live-action elements, to a film that will have absolutely none of that even though it will be marketed as such. I think a major portion of possible audiences will be off-put by this

Just now, Mekanos said:

If this weekend didn't prove to you the massive potential of Lion King, nothing will until it opens.

All it proves is that people keep using "if x then y" to justify absurd TLK predictions when x has no real correlation to y. I2 has nothing to do with TLK. Live action Cinderella did way worse than the live action Alice in Wonderland, despite the animated Cinderella being far more iconic and popular than the animated AiW. Aladdin is predicted to do worse than Alice and Jungle Book by most, again despite the animated version being way more popular and impactful.

Then the same people turn around an say, well TLK was way bigger than BatB, so obviously the rule has to apply for the live action ones too without even seeing the tiniest hint of the hypocrisy there. No, what these live action adaptations make are not an exact science based on the animated versions. Box office has already firmly established that.

TLK is coming last in a summer that will literally stretch the family audience as thin as possible. It is simply not feasible for another family film to go 600+ at that point, even if it's the most appealing one of all time. It also lacks hooks BatB did, what with BatB drving the female YA crowd into a frenzy and it faces the possibility of Disney live action adaptation fatigue with Dumbo and Aladdin both hitting mere months prior. Especially if Aladdin goes over bad, like early reports are giving hints it might.

People are completely ignoring any sign of why TLK might not be the blockbuster to end all blockbusters, and there are already tons of them. Not even mentioning what happens if the movie isn't very well received? 

• Like 2

Just now, Blankments said:

I understand exactly how all-encompassing it is, but I think everyone here is also conflating TJB and B+TB's success, films with major live-action elements, to a film that will have absolutely none of that even though it will be marketed as such. I think a major portion of possible audiences will be off-put by this

Yea an animated movie could never open as huge as live action movies :sparta:

Just now, Biggestgeekever said:

Seriously. Look up how much the DVD/VHS sold and how well the broadway show has done and you'll understand why some of us think it can break the OW record.

Also:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?id=3drereleases.htm

3d-release BO

Lion King: 94m

Titanic: 58m

Beauty and the best: 47m

Phantom Menace: 43m

Nemo: 41m

Toy story: 30.7m

After Avatar release and closer has possible to 2010 the better for a 3d re-release here, advantaging Lion King (2011) over toy story pre-avatar release or the 2012 one.

But still, beating James Cameron at something box office....... by that wide of a margin, there is clearly something going on.

If lion kings re-release can open at 30m and have over 3.0 legs... a new one can do close to 10 times that yes.