A Marvel Fanboy

Tron: Ares | October 10, 2025 | Jared Leto to star, Joachim Ronning to direct

^^^^

Same here. Disney should not ignore the other properties they have. Tron is in that spot where if nurtured can grow. It is like the pleasant surprise when I heard that Disney+ was going to have a show set in the world of Willow. Glad they aren't ignoring that property they got along with SW and IJ. The world of Willow is ripe for exploring much like the Tron world has so many possibilities that don't exist in Star Wars.

Tron Legacy sequel Disney...make it happen already!!

13 hours ago, Captain Craig said:

^^^^

Same here. Disney should not ignore the other properties they have. Tron is in that spot where if nurtured can grow. It is like the pleasant surprise when I heard that Disney+ was going to have a show set in the world of Willow. Glad they aren't ignoring that property they got along with SW and IJ. The world of Willow is ripe for exploring much like the Tron world has so many possibilities that don't exist in Star Wars.

Tron Legacy sequel Disney...make it happen already!!

Well, it's in discussions.  Maybe development.  But it's not actually officially happening yet.  Jon Kasdan sure was alluding to it possibly happening though.  I'd put it at "good odds" at the moment.

As for TRON?  Disney's probably gun-shy on another movie right now.  So send TRON to Disney+, keep the budget low(-ish) and maybe build up to a movie a few years down the road.  Or just pump out series on Plus if it's popular enough.  Have series of about eight episodes a "season" and see how it's received.

Probably need something to show the Disney Suits that another movie is viable besides hopes and dreams.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2019 at 2:21 AM, Porthos said:

As for TRON?  Disney's probably gun-shy on another movie right now. 

They didn't lose that much money on Tron, did they?

I just looked at BOM, and it says budget 170, with a ww take of 400.

While obviously they didn't make any money on just the theatrical, once you factor in rentals and streaming and whatever, they should have been able to reach a breakeven point. Hopefully. Eventually.

Tron show was in development for Disney+ but got cancelled

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/bob-igers-next-priority-streamline-disney-development-1283260

In a sign of the challenges, Disney+ has developed then scrapped three original series in the past year: scripted comedy Muppets Live Another Day from Adam Horowitz, Eddy Kitsis and Josh Gad; Disney villains drama Book of Enchantment from Michael Seitzman; and, per sources, a never-announced Tron adaptation from John Ridley.

Tron, which Ridley was developing via his ABC Studios overall deal, had been in the works, though not officially greenlit, for several months when it fell apart, per sources. 

6 hours ago, DeeCee said:

Let Tron die. Kill it, if you have to. 

Clone Lightcycle Power Run to all Disney parks everywhere first, then Tron has my permission to die.

Edited by cookie

https://thedisinsider.com/2020/07/06/an-update-on-tron-exclusive/

Over the course of the last year or so, we’ve received a lot of questions regarding Disney’s plans with the Tron franchise, and we figured we should update everyone with what’s going.

Earlier this year, it was revealed a Tron series from John Ridley (12 Years a Slave) for Disney+ was scrapped. It is unknown why the studio decided to scrap the project, we heard it was due to cost and Disney’s enthusiasm for bringing the world of Tron back to the big screen.

A couple of months back, our trusted source informed us that a Tron reboot with Jared Leto is still in the works with a director search underway. Now, that is not the most significant update I’ve heard. From what I’ve been told, the film is expected to be more of Tron sequel rather than a reboot, and the cast from Tron: Legacy could return. It is unknown at this time if the film will follow the same story as the canceled third Tron film, Tron: Ascension, which would have seen the machine world of The Grid invade the real world. That was also rumored to have featured a character called Ares.

We have heard multiple directors in the mix but nothing we can confirm as of yet.