Frozen

Midway | Nov 8 2019 | Roland Emmerich | Woody Harrelson, Mandy Moore, Luke Evans

Luke Evans (The Alienist, Beauty and the Beast, The Girl on the Train) has been cast in Roland Emmerich’s (Independence Day franchise, The Day After Tomorrow) World War II action movie Midway, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed. Evans joins the previously announced Woody Harrelson (Solo: A Star Wars Story) and Mandy Moore (This Is Us) on the Wes Tooke (Colony) scripted project.

Based on the true story of the Battle of Midway, a turning point in the Pacific theater of World War II, the film chronicles the heroic and harrowing exploits of the soldiers and aviators who achieved the unbelievable to turn the tide of the war.

Evans is portraying Commander Wade McClusky, who would go on to win a Naval Cross for his role in Midway. Harrelson will play Admiral Chester Nimitz, one of the leaders who lead the American naval fleet to victory in a forway that involved aircraft carriers, destroyers, and cruisers.

From Stuard Ford’s AGC Studios, Midway is produced by Emmerich’s Centropolis Entertainment, Harald Kloser (2012White House DownIndependence Day: Resurgence), and Mark Gordon (Saving Private RyanThe PatriotMolly’s Game). The film is in pre-production with principal photography to start August 16.

Starlight Entertainment Group and Providence Entertainment Limited are financing Midway. U.S. and China theatrical distribution is already set with Lionsgate to release through its Summit Entertainment label stateside and Bona Film Group to release in Greater China. Creative Artists Agency (CAA) brokered the financing and distribution deals.

Universal Pictures released a big budget epic version of the event also titled Midway in 1976, which starred Charlton Heston, Henry Fonda, James Coburn and Toshiro Mifune.

On 7/5/2018 at 6:37 AM, AndyK said:

Epic war film.....I'm here for that !

I would agree... except for Roland Emmerich is directing. His attempts at Historical films  have all pretty much sucked.

And there is a perfectly good 1976 movie about the battle..

And I will be really fussy about this one since the Carrier War In the Pacific is an particulat interest of mine.....

The thing what actually happened in the Battle is dramatic enough without Emmerich trying to goose it up..which he will do.

And Harrellson, though a good actor, I cannot picture as the soft spoken Nimitz.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 3

With the Chinese involved,will this film make any attempt to show the Japanese side of the battle like the 1976 film did, a la "The Longest Day". There is still a lot od bad blood between China and Japan from "The China Incident".

1 hour ago, Frozen said:

Delivered a dud with 200M budget...not sure how he will do better with 100M. IDR is the worst 200M budget movie ever...everything was fucking weak. Even the action/destruction sucked balls. He has lost his mojo. Blew it on 2012.

22 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

Delivered a dud with 200M budget...not sure how he will do better with 100M. IDR is the worst 200M budget movie ever...everything was fucking weak. Even the action/destruction sucked balls. He has lost his mojo. Blew it on 2012.

Not to mention, that his history films have pretty much sucked anyway.

I have seen many bad history based films, but Emmerich's "Anoynymous" is easily the worst. I cannot think of a single good thing to say about, And it's shameless peddling of a crackpot conspiracy theory (that Shakespeare did not write Shakespeare) as historical fact made me truly loath this film.

And that the Pacific Carrier War is a particular fascination of mine just makes it worse.

15 hours ago, That One Guy said:

2012 fucks.  Emmerich just goes wild in it and it’s great as hell.

The destruction is great; the less said about the writing and the charecters the better.

That might be the problem with Emmerich:He blows things up real good but that is about his only skill as a director and as a writer he's hopeless.

• Like 1