AndyK

Rub & Tug | Now a TV Series. ScarJo found dead in a ditch! | Trans Rights are Human Rights

16 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Girl, you were technically listed as a producer.  Maybe instead of dropping the whole thing because it's no longer your Oscar Bait vehicle, you should stay on a producer and use what little star power you still have to make sure the film GETS MADE.

Yeah, the sad part is that the project likely won't be made at all now simply because "there are no famous trans actors." Which is a big time shame.

29 minutes ago, Morieris said:

I'm kind of surprised (not really) people are buying it like she's a good person for this. This shouldn't have happened at all. She shouldn't have been cast.

It's the initial response that was more bothersome than accepting the role, which was still bothersome. Ed Skrein at least had the class to not talk back at people when he was cast as Daimio for the Hellboy reboot before backing out. As such he earned the benefit of the doubt. With ScarJo, it comes off more like a saving face PR move.

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Durden said:

According to GLAAD, LGBTQ+ characters dropped 40% in 2017 from the previous year, with no representation of trans characters in any major studio release.”

I imagine if that is not a bit of a dig here, to the danger about asking for good representation before representation was even achieved first. Placing in there some warning that if social media create landmine to approach those stories they will be told simply less and less if a significant amount of money is needed, people just not interested into taking the chance.

Edited by Barnack

29 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I imagine if that is not a bit of a dig here, to the danger about asking for good representation before representation was even achieve first a bit of a by making it a bit of a social media / media landmine to approach those story they are told simply less and less, people just not interested into taking the chance.

To be fair, she's not wrong that there is a problem with representation for LGBT characters in the industry. They weren't nonexistent in movies last year, but most of the films with strong LGBT representation (Call Me by Your Name, The Shape of Water, Lady Bird, etc.) were made in the indie world outside the studio system (and weren't included in the study because of it). Just one of those things they have a long way to in resolving and as nice as it is that a major studio gave a film like Love, Simon the greenlight (and it only took until 2018 to do it), it's not enough.

• Like 1

Can we retroactively strip Leto and Redmayne of their Oscahs now plz

Btw why on earth did ScarJo team up with Rupert Sanders if she was this thirsty for an Oscah, sheesh

Edited by Chewy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

Btw why on earth did ScarJo team up with Rupert Sanders if she was this thirsty for an Oscah, sheesh

Redmayne won for playing Stephen Hawking, not Lili Elbe.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chewy said:

edit: redundant

Edited by Jake Gittes

7 minutes ago, expensiveho said:

Great. SJWs "won" so this film won't move forward and still no trans actor will get a job. They must be so proud.

Someone's an SJW for saying "Hey, maybe these underrepresented people who seemingly get blacklisted for being who they are deserve opportunities to perform roles based on one of their own people"?

Anyone else find that people that use the phrase "SJW" tend to be morons?

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

Just now, AJG said:

Someone's an SJW for saying "Hey, maybe these underrepresented people who seemingly get blacklisted for being who they are deserve opportunities to perform roles based on one of their own people"?

Anyone else find that people that use the phrase "SJW" tend to be morons?

Yep. In fact, I think warnings should be handed out for anyone who decides to use the term as a clearly intended insult.

• Like 1

Also: Why won't this film be made? People know there's other roles in the film, right? 

Films get released with unknown actors in the lead with bigger stars playing secondary roles at least once a week. It's not a new thing.

4 minutes ago, Morieris said:

Every single time.

I saw a comment that said it was "SJW" to have women in Assassins Creed video games.

This is how dense these people are.

• ...wtf 1

Just now, AJG said:

Also: Why won't this film be made? People know there's other roles in the film, right? 

Films get released with unknown actors in the lead with bigger stars playing secondary roles at least once a week. It's not a new thing.

ScarJo was the one pushing this as an Awards vehicle for her, none of the producers care about it any capacity beyond that. Obviously that could change at some point but lol this is hollywood so

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AJG said:

In that price range (that could be hard to get out of, considering period setting and mob scope), with that type of director and not a IP/or a genre you can pre-sales (like horror, buddy comedy, etc...) there is almost no movie with unknown actor in the lead released.

At least I did try to look for one in 2017-2018, a 25-35m production with a unknown actor in the lead and I think I didn't find any.

Do you some example in mind ?

So does this decisively mean no more trans characters played by cis actors, ever, at least in any remotely high-profile American/English-language film? Wild if so, considering how acceptable it was just a year or two ago. I dunno if I think that a cis actor playing a trans person is inherently wrong under any circumstances, but the need for representation is certainly clear, and it's not like I've seen an actual all-time great such performance anyway. (Off the top of my head Leto and Redmayne's were utterly shallow, Terence Stamp in Adventures of Priscilla was good but not necessarily indispensable. Haven't seen Boys Don't Cry, Transamerica, or Transparent.)