WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 92): Ant-Man and the Wasp 75.8M (#CRUMBLING EVEN MORE) | Jurassic World 28.6M | Incredibles 2 28.4M | The First Purge 17.4M

I actually read the first few Twilight books before they became a thing, mostly since I'd exhausted every other book in the school library. They weren't so bad as long as you were willing to liberally skip dozen page sections of boring stuff ;) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thanos Legion said:

I actually read the first few Twilight books before they became a thing, mostly since I'd exhausted every other book in the school library. They weren't so bad as long as you were willing to liberally skip dozen page sections of boring stuff ;) 

Funny that's how I felt about the Harry Potter books.

• Like 2

Ant Man's Saturday hold at my theatre isn't good at all. It's not like the weather changed significantly since yesterday either, nor is there some big event happening in town tonight. Hopefully Sunday can somehow increase from Saturday but damn it doesn't look good.

Friday here, including previews, was our equivalent of 23.5M. With Saturday looking the way it is I just hope it can get close to 60M for the weekend, but mid 50's is more likely unless Sunday surprises. Decent increase from the first I guess, since it opened to our equivalent of mid 30's here, but not as good as I was hoping. 

• Sad 2

Theater report- crowd was really into the movie. 1st post credit scene drew a lot of gasps.

Trailer reports.

Dumbo- Quiet, no reaction.

Nutcracker- Some chatter. 

Mission Impossible 6- Little bit of chatter. People seem to be curious about it. 

Robotic dog movie- can’t remember the name of it. No chatter.

Sandlot 25th anniversary- Quiet chuckles and some chatter. 

47 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Ant Man's Saturday hold at my theatre isn't good at all. It's not like the weather changed significantly since yesterday either, nor is there some big event happening in town tonight. Hopefully Sunday can somehow increase from Saturday but damn it doesn't look good.

Friday here, including previews, was our equivalent of 23.5M. With Saturday looking the way it is I just hope it can get close to 60M for the weekend, but mid 50's is more likely unless Sunday surprises. Decent increase from the first I guess, since it opened to our equivalent of mid 30's here, but not as good as I was hoping. 

Mid thirties for the first to mid fifties for the second is an increase of around 60% which on a nationwide scale would give AATW around 91+ million , way higher than any current estimate so I don’t see what’s so bad in your theater. Close to 60 in your theater would mean a 70% increase which would translate to a 97 million weekend nationwide.

Edited by Thrylos 7
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

guesses for Saturday increases

# of                                   WEEKEND

theaters      Sat % increase       PTA

374 - Book Club  +35%          $1,206 - 0.45 - 67.19

535 - Superfly      +34%         $1,143 - 0.61 - 19.82

506 - Infinity W    +35%         $1,575 - 0.80 - 674.73

359 - Sanju           +37%         $3,618 - 1.30 - 6.01

778 - Solo             +34%         $1,413 - 1.10 - 210.96

1,267 - Deadpool +33%          $1,350 - 1.71 - 314.58

893 - Neighbor    +36%          $2,943 - 2.63 - 12.42

2,157 - Tag           +27%          $1,440  - 3.11 - 48.34

2,604 - Ocean's 8 +28%          $2,097 - 5.46 - 126.93

2,742 - Uncle D    +17%          $2,430 - 6.66 - 29.98

3,055 - Sicario 2   +32%          $2,511 - 7.67 - 35.67

3,031 - Purge 4     +15%         $6,046 - 18.32 - 32.23

4,349 - Jurassic 5  +27%         $6,849 - 29.79 - 334.55

4,113 - Incredibles +13%        $7,200 - 29.61 - 504.79

4,206 - Ant-Man 2 +21%      $17,001 - 71.51 - 83.01

• Like 1

So I missed out on a bunch of posts early today saying something like, "this isn't disappointing, 80m for antman is really good."

It is good, what's disappointing is the internal multiplier.  

GotG did 8.4x previews

S:HC did 7.6x previews

Cap3 did 7.16x previews

Ultron did 6.93x previews

IW did 6.6x previews

If Antman does 80m that's only 6.95x previews.  If it does under 80 like BoxOffice pro is saying that's 6.87x previews.  That's a little disappointing considering what we were expecting as far as being less presale-heavy, more family oriented, and means a re-adjustment of expectations for Marvel sequels deep in summer since this is really the first one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MattW said:

So I missed out on a bunch of posts early today saying something like, "this isn't disappointing, 80m for antman is really good."

GotG did 8.4x previews

Cap3 did 7.16x previews

IW did 6.6x previews

If Antman does 80m that's only 6.95x previews.  If it does under 80 like BoxOffice pro is saying that's 6.87x previews.  That's a little disappointing considering what we were expecting as far as being less presale-heavy, more family oriented, and means a re-adjustment of expectations for Marvel sequels deep in summer since this is really the first one.

Thank you, exactly. 80 looks a lot worse off of 11.5 than before we had that figure.    

If it does happen, I think basically the issue is exactly what you're identified: sequels have a preview multi hit, summer has a preview multi hit, this is the first movie in both categories.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, narniadis said:

For numbering purposes, part of me wants it to end in the 580-590 range...

700m-1

600m-1

500m-1

400m-1

300m-1

200m-1

one film in each level at the end of summer.... it's like a OCD dream...

But, Solo, AATW and MI6 could all end in the $200m range.

• Like 1

it could have played out the way some films do when opening in December on winter break.  July 4th on Wednesday w/ Purge opening, Ant-Man opening at 6pm on Thursday might have added to ones viewing schedule.  The first Ant-Man played well in the end when there was no competition but a lot of random movies opening.  This one should be in competition amongst Marvels best OW multipliers to total (minus the previews).

40 minutes ago, Kalo said:

But, Solo, AATW and MI6 could all end in the $200m range.

battlefield_earth_john_travolta-1.jpg

Yes, this is a correct assessment and it is very alarming as to whether Solo will play out the rest of the summer and try to hit 220m. or rather try to stay above AATW and Mi6 as another Star Wars movie to conquer with the summer.  Thank you.

1 hour ago, MattW said:

GotG did 8.4x previews

Cap3 did 7.16x previews

IW did 6.6x previews

That projected w/e multi looks a bit low from B.O. pro especially considering the multi they're giving JW:FK and I2.

Thursday & Friday were most likely inflated due to 4th of July week with many people taking off Thur & Fri.- which is part of the reason why Friday rises were much smaller across the board for all top films except I2 (which is getting drive in DF with AM&TW which helped) than just last week.  JW:FK went from 53% to 29%

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1