YM!

Weekend Thread | Hotel 3 $44.1 Skyscraper 25.4, Ant Man’s size does matter with $28.8M

19 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

I think we have to wait for the Chinese release before declaring that Skyscraper is a flop. Some people think it could do $150M there, and since it is a Chinese (co?)production...

Apparently it is not.

https://deadline.com/2018/07/dwayne-johnson-skyscraper-ant-man-and-the-wasp-hotel-transylvania-3-weekend-box-office-1202426089/

Even with Wanda’s Legendary Entertainment involved here covering 50% of the reported $125M production cost, they may have assisted in getting more movie screens in the Middle Kingdom, but I’m informed that Skyscraper is considered a U.S. production and will only see around 25% of its China B.O., and no downstream ancillaries.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Barnack said:

Apparently it is not.

https://deadline.com/2018/07/dwayne-johnson-skyscraper-ant-man-and-the-wasp-hotel-transylvania-3-weekend-box-office-1202426089/

Even with Wanda’s Legendary Entertainment involved here covering 50% of the reported $125M production cost, they may have assisted in getting more movie screens in the Middle Kingdom, but I’m informed that Skyscraper is considered a U.S. production and will only see around 25% of its China B.O., and no downstream ancillaries.

Good to know this now after I made my summer game predictions :) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lucasmessi12 said:

Ant man And Wasp budget is $162m according Deadline, its so big as Suicide Squad or Jurassic World, and bigger than Wonder Woman, Logan, Deadpool 2,  Budgets, Why do some people here talk like the budget of this movie was one of the smallest in superhero/blockbusters movies ever? he is not, he has a budget as big as most blockbusters, and bigger than some others blockbusters.

I think one difference is they seem to have got Ant Man 2 budget because of the UK cgi work, Logan because of Louisiana production, while they have no idea of the Suicide Squad, Wonder Woman budget and many other blockbusters.

But yes, it is not a small budget affair, but it is not doing small box office either.

3 hours ago, La Binoche said:

O8 passing Ghostbusters is considered a win, I guess?  

O8 legs are being a big win I would say, could have easily be a bit under 3.0 and it will be significantly above that.

3 hours ago, baumer said:

Those overseas numbers aren't very good for Skyscraper either.  It's opened in every market except China.  

Italy and Japan also...

$41.2M Overseas Weekend Estimate

Rampage did around 60m for the same markets with 2.7x legs in them.

If Skyscraper play similarly overall, it would do around 226m intl, if that 41.2m oversea weekend hold it look like really close to the dbo performance vs Rampage OW (30% drop). If it does 70-75m dbo, could still get really close to 300m, the China heavy nature of it with 0 access to the ancillary market there could be an issue at those level too.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

The Equalizer had a 50/55 million budget, but you have to take away 20 million ( Denzel's paycheck ). So, in reality the crew had 30/35 million to work with ( including paychecks for everyone else ).

Fuqua is a great director and he films action very well. Some actions scenes in The Equalizer had cuts, but the third act was great ( when he goes full Jason Voorhess mode ).

Judging by the clips for Equalizer 2, action seems better staged and editing seems better. So, that's great.

Equalizer had a 73.126m gross budget, just below 50m after Denzel and the rest of the cast paycheck of 24m, but you are right for the around 35m to work with below the line. Fuqua directing fee is not cheap either (around 4m + perks), script never cheap and close to 2m and big producers on a studio movie (3.5m).

Above The Line: $36,495,794
Below The Line: $36,630,423
TOTAL DIRECT COST: $73,126,217

8 hours ago, baumer said:
9 hours ago, John Marston said:

well the first Equalizer wasn't that big of a hit so I am actually surprised there is a sequel four years later and also opening just one week before the new MI movie instead of a less competitive spot

Almost 200 million on a 55 mill budget is huge by Denzel standards.  And it's also his third biggest film in the last ten years.  

Net budget was 63m, they expected to do a nice 40m profits at that 190m WW performance (31m for the studio, 9m for the village roadshow / lone star that financed half of it).

That is a really nice margin of profit, but also because of Denzel it was at a very low risk level, looking at the number of player involved in the sequel:

Production Companies

Probably still at a very low risk level for everyone here, they know there is almost no chance for a breakout, but chance are good for again doing a nice 15% ROI with a very slim almost nill chance to flop, easy greenlight imo.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 5

42 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Apparently it is not.

Didn't they make this movie basically for China? With the way it's tanking elsewhere even huge business in China won't help much now.

2 hours ago, sfran43 said:

2 Won’t You Be My Neighbor? $1,950,000 -24% 868 -25 $2,247 $15,888,287

It'd be at #16 of the all time Documentaries with that!  To get into the Top 10 it would need another 10M, which I don't see happening, but still EXCIIIIIITING.  Such a good film!!!

2 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

@CJohn

Are you going to bless up with Opening the Weekend Thread for Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again! and Mission Impossible: Fall Out?  

🙏🙏🙏🙏

I am not feeling inspired for either of those at the moment. We will see when the time comes.

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, CJohn said:

300 MILLION OPENING WEEKEND TRAIN BACK ON TRACK FAM

I don’t think they can release a movie together before next May though :Venom:

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I am not feeling inspired for either of those at the moment. We will see when the time comes.

There are about 20 Mamma Mia stans counting on you.  Even if you don’t, you could always recruit the passionate base!

• Like 1