chasmmi

Top 100 Characters 2018 countdown has begun, Number 39 Will Blow Your MInd!!

21 hours ago, chasmmi said:

Joint 73rd - Catwoman - Michelle Pfeiffer - Batman Returns

Coincidentally, she also wore a cat suit for a lot of this role. 

Coincidentally, this happened last week (guy's the writer of some Burton films and upcoming Aladdin remake):

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Disbelief 1

Joint 68th - Ethan Hawke Hunt- Tom Cruise - Mission Impossible

If this series had flopped early, maybe Cruise could have spearheaded a Battlefield Earth sequel instead?

How much does a stunt scene contribute to a character? It certainly make a scene more engaging when you don't have to keep cutting away and pretending that random stunt guy number six is actually your hero actor. 

That musing aside, the other helpful thing about having Tom Cruise in your film is that he is a great actor. (For me he is fun and entertaining in this role, but I would put a fair number of his dramatic roles above it). 

Cruise did also receive single votes for his roles in Maverick, Eyes Wide Shut, Top Gun, A few Good Men and Tropic Thunder.  

• Like 12
  • Astonished 1

Joint 68th - Aragorn- Viggo Mortenson - Lord of the Rings

His ending was the 3rd or 4th best in Return of the King, so safe in the top 12 percentile. 

Another entry for LOTR and another reason why it is surprising that the cast isn't given as much credit as the spectacle in this series. I think Aragorn would have snuck into my personal top 5 Rings characters.

I think it would shock a person to hear that Aragorn placed top out of all of the Rings Franchise players, and that is because he didn't. He did finish in the top 3 though.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

Hmmm....Cruise played Maverick in Top Gun.  But Mel Gibson was the title character Maverick.  :)  

Little known fact, Cruise was 'Guy waiting for bus number 3' in that film. 

That was what the vote was for... :ph34r:

• Astonished 1

67th - Wonder Woman - Gal Gadot - Wonder Woman

I believe there is a film currently in the works based on the play about a guy that spent a whole bunch of time waiting for her to show up to something.

The first to two straight entries that made the list due to high votes from a small ( four ) number of voters. Wonder Woman took cinema by storm last year and was generally a pretty solid film that was excellently put together and directed (I personally feel that the character being great is a lot more down to the direction than the actress, but that is my usually unagreed with opinion.)

I believe that this is the highest ranked female DC character on the list. Catwoman has already been and Harley received 31 points total. Also likely makes her the highest ranked female superheo full stop because Marvel haven't quite gotten around to having one yet :) 

• Like 9
  • Astonished 2
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

66th - Albus Dumbledore - Michael Gambon (Mostly) - Harry Potter 

These are the times that we live in that a headmaster of a school that put its students in mortal danger on a termly basis finishes in 66th. 

It's Franchises are us in this mini-batch. 4 characters, over 20 films between them. Harry Potter had an insane cast and I think a fanatic could easily have filled like 20 or more places with just this one universe (hence the limits). Dumbledore is a massively popular part of this universe and is on course to be in more harry Potter Films than harry Potter at this rate. 

The loss of Richard Harris was tragic and he was sorely missed playing the role. Gambon however did do a great job of making the character his own and will be for most, the quintessential Dumbledore. Well until we see what Jude Law can do with a beard that is.  

• Like 10

Expected Dumbledude and Aragorn to be higher ranked! I'm worried for Jim characters I expected them to come in around this area so they're probably not gonna show... although Jake Sully did make it in.

Aragorn is the coolest character in Lord of the Rings, he's the man you want to be. Great character which I didn't truly respect until I grew up a little, as a kid I was all about that Legolas.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Aragorn makes for a terrific co-protagonist in LOTR, brilliant portrayal by Viggo Mortensen who plays the reluctant hero to minute precision.

A shame the oscars don't have an ensemble cast category (a must imo, a movie isn't always about 1 or 2 characters) because LOTR would have +1 oscar per movie :qotd:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Daxtreme said:

Aragorn makes for a terrific co-protagonist in LOTR, brilliant portrayal by Viggo Mortensen who plays the reluctant hero to minute precision.

A shame the oscars don't have an ensemble cast category (a must imo, a movie isn't always about 1 or 2 characters) because LOTR would have +1 oscar per movie :qotd:

Gosford Park and Chicago would probably win in '01 and '02 just like at the SAGs. 

• Astonished 1

1 hour ago, Daxtreme said:

That he's reluctant is why his film characterization isn't a favorite of mine while he's one of my favorite characters in literature.

• Astonished 1