A Marvel Fanboy

Rotten Tomatoes Adjusts Criteria to Include More Diverse Critics

Some movies come presold like Endgame or Lion King and others because they have a good brand around them or become must see events. 

However for other movies people wont spend 20 bucks on a film without wondering if its worth my time and people check reviews for that.

I have personally avoided watching quite a few film in theaters due to RT score and just watch them latter on VOD or netflix after.,

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I still think with increased diversity it will just mean higher scores for big fanbase blockbusters as a lot of smaller reviewers are more prone to be part of fan bases. 

yes this. Nothing changes essentially because they all think alike and have similar preferences. franchise movies get high scores. Live action remakes get low scores. Michael Bay and Tyler Perry get 0%. Same as ever. 

So no point being against the decision for it doesn't change the status quo quality-wise, just cosmetically. They are all Frosty/Manabytes inside.

RT is tailored for big movies and everyone who wants to get to see them early, get free access to the set, etc. basically nerd blogger types. For prestige, you check MC score, not RT. 

Edited by Valonqar

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

yes this. Nothing changes essentially because they all think alike and have similar preferences. franchise movies get high scores. Live action remakes get low scores. Michael Bay and Tyler Perry get 0%. Same as ever. 

So no point being against the decision for it doesn't change the status quo quality-wise, just cosmetically. They are all Frosty/Manabytes inside.

I hope people dont think higher diversity will lead to a higher score for a film like Wrinkle In Time or something.

I hope we can get away from such thinking 

Edited by Lordmandeep

4 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

RT is tailored for big movies and everyone who wants to get to see them early, get free access to the set, etc. basically nerd blogger types. For prestige, you check MC score, not RT. 

Exactly.

B-but DIVERSITY!!

To be fair... if they make their money by giving their opinion on films, and they have a large audience... why shouldn't they be included?

It's never been a requirement for a critic to know their shit before - just for the critic to be published on a popular publication. Some of these Youtuber critics have far more reach than vast majority of traditional publication critics.

• Like 3

Allowing a more diverse set of critics from different backgrounds can bring new perspectives and insights.

At the same time, RT should be more selective about what it considers a critical review. I say this because many of the reviews from mostly local news and non-movies-related publications are often two-paragraph blurbs that offer nothing other than paraphrasing the synopsis and ending with a simple one-sentence comment.

Edited by Neucentro

Like I said, prestige has MC where YTubers don't have access. RT has always been populist so whether they have 600 populist critics or 1200 or 2400 makes no difference. let them in...but leave some that overstayed their welcome out! :stirthepot:

Edited by Valonqar

1 hour ago, Firepower said:

Forced diversity without quality is useless and always a bad thing.

It's not forced diversity. It's more inclusive of critics outside the circle of media trades and news publications. I think it's a good thing because of the decentralization.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1