Cap

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever | Nov 11 2022 | Starring 2023 Best Supporting Actress Oscar Nominee Angela Bassett. She did not do the thing!

1 hour ago, jedijake said:

I understand your fears. I have the same feelings as well. However, I have faith in Coogler for being so passionate and being so close to Chadwick that he wants to pay tribute. This movie has had more going against it than probably any other MCU movie and it seems that it was Disney execs that forced Feige and Coogler to keep it in 2022. However, until we start seeing more substance, there's no reason not to think/hope that they will do this justice.

Let's get real here for a sec.  I love Coogler and Boseman's work -- but we have no idea how "close" they were as Coogler has basically admitted that he didn't even know about Boseman's illness.  So this could have been a thing Boseman was keeping from *everybody* just to maintain privacy -- OK -- and I'm sure Coogler has integrity about completing the film honorably -- OK -- but yes, it sure does sound like he was locked into this production on a tight timeframe, complicated circumstances during production, P.R. problems with stars, and of course with unbelievable expectations that will likely never get fulfilled.  So if it even turns at 25% entertaining...it will be a miracle.  But Coogler did amazing things with CREED and of course the original BP, so who knows??

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

Okay, this is something I mentioned in both the Fett and Kenobi threads, but I would also not discount how much COVID has fucked with actually making films (pre, shoot, and post).  Making a good film is sometimes a borderline miracle given the thousands of moving parts.  Throw in something like a novel virus into the mix...

Well even without one of the stars (allegedly) contributing to the problem, I think too many folks just aren't factoring in the disruptive nature of the 'rona in some of the finished products we're seeing.  

Is this something I can prove?  Hell, even if folks involved with production listed that as a factor, it's still probably unproveable.  Do I think it's a factor nevertheless?  I'd be shocked if it wasn't.  Only question in my mind is how much of one.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Okay, this is something I mentioned in both the Fett and Kenobi threads, but I would also not discount how much COVID has fucked with actually making films (pre, shoot, and post).  Making a good film is sometimes a borderline miracle given the thousands of moving parts.  Throw in something like a novel virus into the mix...

Well even without one of the stars (allegedly) contributing to the problem, I think too many folks just aren't factoring in the disruptive nature of the 'rona in some of the finished products we're seeing.  

Is this something I can prove?  Hell, even if folks involved with production listed that as a factor, it's still probably unproveable.  Do I think it's a factor nevertheless?  I'd be shocked if it wasn't.  Only question in my mind is how much of one.

NWH managed to turn out fine, despite the fairly short post-production window, but this one is supposed to have an even shorter time crunch, so who knows how that’ll turn out. 

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

NWH managed to turn out fine, despite the fairly short post-production window, but this one is supposed to have an even shorter time crunch, so who knows how that’ll turn out. 

I had asked a question about post-production a while back. The question was weather they may have actually started post production before the hiatus from November to January.

They started filming last June. Then in August, Leticia had her accident. They filmed some other scenes without Letiticia until November allegedly. Then they went on haitus until January.

Is it possible they did a bunch of post work between November and January? If so, it would add up to the same amount of post-production as the first movie.

Surely the powers that be realize that Antman3, which concluded filming in November, 2021, would be ready for release MUCH earlier than BP2. They could easily have released Ant3 this November and pushed BP2 to February, 2023, making it the same release date and 5 years later than the first.

If things don't work well, I put 100% blame on Disney executives. I can't even imagine Feige going along with it readily.

10 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

NWH was still kinda sloppy though, it was well liked because it had great peaks, not because it was an especially polished movie.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

NWH was still kinda sloppy though, it was well liked because it had great peaks, not because it was an especially polished movie.

Fair point. NWH was such a crowdpleaser that it was easy to overlook whatever narrative or technical shortcomings it may have had, especially since Spider-Man is currently the most popular superhero out there. This movie will have to stand more on its own two feet in comparison. 

30 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Fair point. NWH was such a crowdpleaser that it was easy to overlook whatever narrative or technical shortcomings it may have had, especially since Spider-Man is currently the most popular superhero out there. This movie will have to stand more on its own two feet in comparison. 

True. NWH had 3 spideys for the price of one. BP2 will have to stand on the concept of BP rather than BP itself. It will have to be looked at through the lens of how it honors the lack of BP and Chadwick rather than the character and actor. This is a challenge that perhaps no other film has ever had.

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

I am sure there will be overload of cameos to make up for lack of Chadwick. That will mean this will have completely different set of folks attending as opposed to 1st movie which brought in audience otherwise who dont come to CB movies. 

Not sure why you think this will happen instead of the show obvious: the secondary characters in the first one are now the leads in this.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

Not sure why you think this will happen instead of the show obvious: the secondary characters in the first one are now the leads in this.

I just cant see disney thinking Letitia wright being a good substitute for Chadwick. That is a recipe for disaster. Plus there are obvious rumors on who is expected to be in this movie. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

I just cant see disney thinking Letitia wright being a good substitute for Chadwick. That is a recipe for disaster. Plus there are obvious rumors on who is expected to be in this movie. 

Easy, it won't be Letitia. It's probably going to be Winston Duke.

2 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Easy, it won't be Letitia. It's probably going to be Winston Duke.

That wont work as well. I dont think he has anywhere close to the charisma that Chadwick brought on to the table. Many artists work well in support roles. You bring them to limelight it does not work very well. 

Anyway I dont want to speculate too much. Let us wait for the 1st trailer. I am assuming no trailer with thor as there are no rumors. So we have to wait for comic con or D23 timelines. As usual Disney is playing it close to chest until very late. I am not sure that worked well with Thor with significantly lower hype than DS2. They seem to be going the same route for BP2. 

6 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I have not heard anything about cameos but yes there are gonna be added characters, but they are probably going to be pretty important and have large roles in the plot, not cameos.

• Like 2

Leticia was always the scientifici/engineering type (in the movies at least, and that is what we are talking about). Maybe she would be queen, but maybe she isn't or backs away from becoming the BP.

I'd much prefer Nakia. Lupita would be better. They could have gotten married off screen. And wasn't there a rumor that there will be a child from the two?

31 minutes ago, exomassey said:

If this movie doesn’t bang, the MCU will be in trouble. 

Next up The Marvels, Ant Man and Guardians 3. Could see some potentially disappointing numbers for these ones if the MCU continues on this trajectory.

I think you are being ridiculous. MCU just had an all time mega hit in NWH and a huge blockbuster in DS2. However "bad" Thor would do it would still be a BO success. I dont think MCU is going to be in trouble over BP2 or any other movie in the near future. 

The day they are not able buy any hit they are in trouble. There are no signs we are anywhere close with the big fan base that MCU has. I am not even 1 of them(skipped DS2 in theaters and have no plans of seeing either Thor or BP2 in theaters). But they are big for sure. That is shown by how big OD Presales are for MCU movies relative to other big movies like say JWD. 

MCU will never be in trouble as long as theaters exist. Besides a few outliers (like TGM), the MCU is generating a large portion of revenue for theaters.

It's more about what each movie does to its own franchise. Lightyear hasn't put a dent into Pixar, but Toy Story spin-offs may be relegated to D+. Solo hurt theatrical releases of SW anthology films Etc.

What I wonder is how critics would view a decent movie despite not having recast Chadwick. That will end up being the BIGGEST controversy of this film. A movie like BP can stand on its own without HAVING to be integrated into the overall MCU. They could have T'Challa's son in this one be between 8-10 years old and have the next movie take place in several years and make the son the new BP. Lots of ways they can go with it.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, jedijake said:

MCU will never be in trouble as long as theaters exist. Besides a few outliers (like TGM), the MCU is generating a large portion of revenue for theaters.

It's more about what each movie does to its own franchise. Lightyear hasn't put a dent into Pixar, but Toy Story spin-offs may be relegated to D+. Solo hurt theatrical releases of SW anthology films Etc.

What I wonder is how critics would view a decent movie despite not having recast Chadwick. That will end up being the BIGGEST controversy of this film. A movie like BP can stand on its own without HAVING to be integrated into the overall MCU. They could have T'Challa's son in this one be between 8-10 years old and have the next movie take place in several years and make the son the new BP. Lots of ways they can go with it.

Agreed with the first half of your post. A string of meh-received movies may not destroy the fanbase but it can compound and be a drag going forward. 

As for the second half, while technically true that BP doesn't have to be connected to the overall MCU, it doesn't appear that's the direction this movie will be taking. 

Edited by Menor Reborn

14 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I think you are being ridiculous. MCU just had an all time mega hit in NWH and a huge blockbuster in DS2. However "bad" Thor would do it would still be a BO success. I dont think MCU is going to be in trouble over BP2 or any other movie in the near future. 

The day they are not able buy any hit they are in trouble. There are no signs we are anywhere close with the big fan base that MCU has. I am not even 1 of them(skipped DS2 in theaters and have no plans of seeing either Thor or BP2 in theaters). But they are big for sure. That is shown by how big OD Presales are for MCU movies relative to other big movies like say JWD. 

I mean in a sense that the MCU will face a downward trajectory if the output is mediocre. It’s natural.

Obviously Marvel Studios are still mega successful with a big fan base to help but they won’t continue to be if people are not excited by their upcoming projects.