Cap

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever | Nov 11 2022 | Starring 2023 Best Supporting Actress Oscar Nominee Angela Bassett. She did not do the thing!

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

this was going to make less than the first from the beginning and when Black Panther himself sadly could not appear in the film it shaved off some more money. So this would not be surprising. Definitely not topping TGM

that's the thing. They have BP but they aren't making the promo about her. Can anyone honestly say that previews clarify who the hero is? Is it Namor? He gets lots of spotlight including his birth. Is it Riri? We saw her make a suit and yell Woo-hoo or Yippee and that's hero journey. Is it Ramonda? You'd think this is Woman King 2 given how much spotlight she got. So for a movie that's titled BP, it sure has everyone BUT BP even though new BP is in the movie. It's a very strange marketing decision.

That said, sales just started so we'll see how it goes closer to release as others already said.

Edited by Valonqar

17 minutes ago, jedijake said:

How did BP1 do with pre-sales vs walk-ups?

BP had the 4th highest presales of all time at the time of the release beating all previous SH movies and bested only by 3 SW movies.

https://mashable.com/article/black-panther-presale-top-five

We had @Deep Wangposting data for a MTC which captured how big the presales for BP was at that time. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

BP had the 4th highest presales of all time at the time of the release beating all previous SH movies and bested only by 3 SW movies.

https://mashable.com/article/black-panther-presale-top-five

We had @Deep Wangposting data for a MTC which captured how big the presales for BP was at that time. 

Well dang! Yeah okay I remember that. Sorry. My brain.

We're still a long way off to find out. How did it do in the beginning? Did tickets explode from the start? 

Just now, jedijake said:

Well dang! Yeah okay I remember that. Sorry. My brain.

We're still a long way off to find out. How did it do in the beginning? Did tickets explode from the start? 

opening day presales was a record for marvel movies crushing Civil War which was the biggest at that time. 

https://www.polygon.com/2018/1/10/16873804/black-panther-ticket-sale-record-marvel

11 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Well damn then! What the hell is going on? 

Looks like the first tone was indeed lightning in a bottle

It had a lot going for it:

First MCU hero that was not white

Infinity War hype

No terrible Disney+ shows that oversaturated the brand

Civil War appearance

Edited by DlAMONDZ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

So for a movie that's titled BP, it sure has everyone BUT BP even though new BP is in the movie. It's a very strange marketing decision.

I think it's no coincidence that in every marketing piece they are highlightning "Wakanda Forever" instead of "Black Panther" 

• Like 2

Anyone able to see the dislikes for the trailer on YT? I had the extension but for some reason now it isn't working.

It's certainly not getting the unwarranted reactions that Little Mermaid got and is nowhere near the level of the hatred that Rings of Power has gotten.

But, at the same time, I too am not seeing, hearing, or feeling of excitement and anticipation that both NWH and DSiMOM got months before release.

But yeah it was me who said I didn't sense the hype before the trailer. I just didn't get the sense that there was THIS much of a lack of hype!

29 minutes ago, DlAMONDZ said:

Looks like the first tone was indeed lightning in a bottle

It had a lot going for it:

First MCU hero that was not white

Infinity War hype

No terrible Disney+ shows that oversaturated the brand

Civil War appearance

If you are right then Captain Marvel 2 is in for a rough ride.

2 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Anyone able to see the dislikes for the trailer on YT? I had the extension but for some reason now it isn't working.

It's certainly not getting the unwarranted reactions that Little Mermaid got and is nowhere near the level of the hatred that Rings of Power has gotten.

But, at the same time, I too am not seeing, hearing, or feeling of excitement and anticipation that both NWH and DSiMOM got months before release.

But yeah it was me who said I didn't sense the hype before the trailer. I just didn't get the sense that there was THIS much of a lack of hype!

668K likes/ 61K dislikes

4 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

guys .... before we talk and say that the MCu is dead or in decline ... a week ago they announced Deadpool 3 with Wolverine. and people went crazy. will set the record in September 2024

It's BOT so of course that everything is dead and doomed. :lol: But many people outside of BOT read Deadpool/Wolverine as damage countrol and they likely aren't wrong. It'll be the closest thing to NWH since it's taking the page from NWH playbook, something fans were led to believe MOM was going to do.

Edited by Valonqar

10 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

guys .... before we talk and say that the MCu is dead or in decline ... a week ago they announced Deadpool 3 with Wolverine. and people went crazy. will set the record in September 2024

thats just it. Will audiences take to the bee characters being introduced or will they have to resort to bringing back the old guard? 

Are people seeing putting Deadpool and Logan together as some kind of a trick or grasping? 
It is entirely predictable and inevitable within the genre. That’s a strength of the genre. Shuffling, rebooting. 

Did someone just post that BP’s ticket sales would be $800+ dom now? Makes $500m seem for this really realistic. 

3 minutes ago, Mr Terrific said:

Are people seeing putting Deadpool and Logan together as some kind of a trick or grasping? 
It is entirely predictable and inevitable within the genre. That’s a strength of the genre. Shuffling, rebooting. 

Did someone just post that BP’s ticket sales would be $800+ dom now? Makes $500m seem for this really realistic. 

Yeah BP1 is ~840 at current prices.  

If this opens to 175 it’s probably looking at 410-450ish, so… you can see how that would be pretty bad. Not in line with AoU/TlJ/JWFK. Much worse.

30 minutes ago, Legion By Night said:

Yeah BP1 is ~840 at current prices.  

If this opens to 175 it’s probably looking at 410-450ish, so… you can see how that would be pretty bad. Not in line with AoU/TlJ/JWFK. Much worse.

I can't for the life of me, envision a multiplier of less than 2.5X. I can see a $175 m OW, but with about a 2.6-2.7X.

Just now, SpiderByte said:

Didn't Solos presales outpace Black Panther? How's that turn out

Whenever people bring this up as a way to say presales mean nothing, they just sound ignorant lol. Yeah, films in two different franchises with two very different pre-sales pattern led to different opening numbers.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, John Marston said:

this was going to make less than the first from the beginning and when Black Panther himself sadly could not appear in the film it shaved off some more money. So this would not be surprising. Definitely not topping TGM

I always though no Chadwick was going to hurt the film, only question was how much.

As for topping TGM, Variety's box office analysis for the rest of the years  is saying that none of the films, including Avatar 2 will beat TGM.

Edited by dudalb