Cap

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever | Nov 11 2022 | Starring 2023 Best Supporting Actress Oscar Nominee Angela Bassett. She did not do the thing!

1 hour ago, Nikostar said:

After the critics reactions today I think the floor for reviews will be NWH.

I'm predicting more Shang Chi. But then again, they were similar.

But I dunno, the reactions have really been pretty great. They are better than I would ever have expected, especially coming off of 3 of the last 4 MCU films.

Not sure what to think of this "Reylo" comment about Shuri and Namor. That's......odd and enigmatic.

What strikes me as odd also is that we haven't heard anything about Lupita or Winston-or even Denai, three huge fan favorites from the first one.

Edited by jedijake

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

[DON'T EXPLAIN THE JOKE MODE = OFF]

It's a meme on this board, and a long standing one, that whenever a highly anticipated film gets less than universal stellar reactions and/or slightly slightly slightly less than expected reviews, that some here will call the reactions mixed.

Usually posted with this gif:

SilverHatefulHarrier-size_restricted.gif

It's a sarcastic response to folks flipping out over lack of stellar OMG BEST FILM EVAR reviews, as popularized by @aabattery.

Fell out of use slightly thanks to COVID shutting down movies for a while, but I personally blame aa for not posting as much as they should. :sadno:

But it is in fact a joke.  Which we still tend to do around here, even if we aren't quite as anarchistic as we once were in our board's youth.

[DON'T EXPLAIN THE JOKE MODE = ON]

Oh okay. It’s hard to know when someone’s sarcastic or not on here because some on here do believe these things.

• Like 1

way too soon to make any judgements as to the final reception of the movie.

Almost everbody we have heard from is a  Geek Blogger, and of course they are predisposed to like any CBM,

Let's see what the mainstream criticis and the non geek critics have to say.

But I did see this from somebody named Hell GeorgeL

I didn't connect with #BlackPanther #WakandaForever, but its more of a personal issue with "sad" movies. Too downer for my taste.

Somebody who is not happy unless  there is a happy ending..somebody who automatically rejects tragedy...is somebody who instantly makes my "people whose opinions on movies is not be taken seriously " list.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, dudalb said:

way too soon to make any judgements as to the final reception of the movie.

Almost everbody we have heard from is a  Geek Blogger, and of course they are predisposed to like any CBM,

Let's see what the mainstream criticis and the non geek critics have to say.

But I did see this from somebody named Hell GeorgeL

Somebody who is not happy unless  there is a happy ending..somebody who automatically rejects tragedy...is somebody who instantly makes my "people whose opinions on movies is not be taken seriously " list.

probably an Rotten Tomatoes certified Critic. 

9 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

probably an Rotten Tomatoes certified Critic. 

Yep. He's a Rotten Tomatoes certified critic. 

Btw, he enjoyed Thor 4 and MoM but didn't like The Batman. He felt the movie was too long.

1 hour ago, jedijake said:

I'm predicting more Shang Chi. But then again, they were similar.

But I dunno, the reactions have really been pretty great. They are better than I would ever have expected, especially coming off of 3 of the last 4 MCU films.

Not sure what to think of this "Reylo" comment about Shuri and Namor. That's......odd and enigmatic.

What strikes me as odd also is that we haven't heard anything about Lupita or Winston-or even Denai, three huge fan favorites from the first one.

I have seen mentions of them all, I think it's just a matter of who is given the central meaty roles, and there's only so much you can fit in these tweets.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Porthos said:

At the moment? Yes, I do think so.  If I had to guess, I'd be pegging a mid- to low-80s RT and not a mid-60s one, which is where my bar for an actual-honest-to-goodness mixed review range would be.  Even mid 70s doesn't reach the level of "mixed reviews" for me. One's mileage may vary, naturally.

Could pull an Eternals where the RT score was much lower than indicated from premiere reactions, sure.  But at the moment, no actually calling the reactions "mixed" does a disservice to the present reactions coming out of the premiere.

Or, to put it another way, if these reactions are "mixed" then damn near every film's reactions are "mixed", which dilutes the meaning of the term.

Are there some... I don't want to call them 'red flags' as 1] it's a loaded term and 2] fans can be jumpy so I'll use 'cautionary comments' coming out of the premiere?  I'd say that's fair.  But all that might mean is that it isn't getting NWH BP level reviews.  Probably.

Everything else is tea leaf reading. Which I suppose is part of trying to figure out the buzz, but tea leaf reading is still all it is.

To me atleast a RT score in the 70's would be dissapointing (compared to the first one) and thus "mixed", and after these receptions I wouldnt be shocked if it ended up there, even if I think a score in the 80's would be more likely