Cap

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever | Nov 11 2022 | Starring 2023 Best Supporting Actress Oscar Nominee Angela Bassett. She did not do the thing!

32 minutes ago, Favorite Fearless Legion said:

I mean, happy for Bassett but it’s kind of funny how the industry seems to treat this particular franchise as not-really-a-CBM when it comes to awards.    

Curious to see if BP3 continues the streak

I mean Black Panther and Wakanda Forever are better than the vast majority of MCU films in a lot of ways like storytelling, design, score, cinematography, etc.

Edited by YM!
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Favorite Fearless Legion said:

I mean, happy for Bassett but it’s kind of funny how the industry seems to treat this particular franchise as not-really-a-CBM when it comes to awards.    

Curious to see if BP3 continues the streak

There is a certain sense of gravitas and pathos to these movies that you don’t really see in the rest of the MCU. 

• Like 5
  • Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Favorite Fearless Legion said:

This is pretty much exactly the stigma I was talking about 😆

Yes because Coogler is a damn great writer and director and the best of the MCU bunch, glad we cleared that up.

• Like 1

Just now, Menor Reborn said:

I love the BP movies but I don't think they are the only great movies to come out of the MCU. Still, I'm happy for any movie I love to get awards recognition.

There’s like 12 great MCU movies, I’m just saying Coogler is the best of the bunch and elevates it the most.

4 minutes ago, YM! said:

Yes because Coogler is a damn great writer and director and the best of the MCU bunch, glad we cleared that up.

He is great, but so is a lot of their non coogler stuff. So the difference is discourse is kind of 👀

But I mean, this probably isn’t going to go anywhere. I say “amusing how everything but this subfranchise is judged via genre preconceptions but they give this one a fair shake” you say “actually the HW establishment has it right and they just don’t have the same quality” I say “Several other MCUs are better than either BP.” Opinions amirite

Edited by Favorite Fearless Legion

1 hour ago, XXR You Ok Annie said:

Angela about to pull down the first acting Oscar for the MCU and she deserves it.

nope

not when Condon is her competition 

20 minutes ago, YM! said:

I mean Black Panther and Wakanda Forever are better than the vast majority of MCU films in a lot of ways like storytelling, design, score, cinematography, etc.

They have better score, design, and cinematography compared to most other MCU movies because their budget is higher than theirs. They spend more on these departments when it comes to the BP franchise. They gave 250M budget to L&T also but 50M+ of its budget went to lead characters lmao

8 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

nope

I think Hsu is going to take the win tbh.

10 minutes ago, Favorite Fearless Legion said:

He is great, but so is a lot of their non coogler stuff. So the difference is discourse is kind of 👀

But I mean, this probably isn’t going to go anywhere. I say “amusing how everything but this subfranchise is judged via genre preconceptions but they give this one a fair shake” you say “actually the HW establishment has it right and they just don’t have the same quality” I say “Several other MCUs are better than either BP.” Opinions amirite

it’s not so much genre preconceptions but more so like I said, the actual filmmaking things the Academy likes is done better in here than other MCU films, I don’t mean like just storytelling or themes but I don’t think it’s a stretch to say that the technical elements of Wakanda Forever/Black Panther are better than other MCU movies.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

nope

Nah, Basett is locked. She and Quan. other categories are between 2 contenders but Supporting Actress and Supporting Actor are wrapped up. 

Bassett will be first win for MCU and first win for SH/CBM that isn't a superhero or supervillain character. Also first win for SH that isn't Joker character. :lol:

Hollywood makes tons of money from Marvel so they should absolutely award them in major categories. Lets not pretend that many non-SH movies that won in above the line categories were much better. 

I hope the takeaway from boxoffice should be that this was an experiment but that audience obviously wants a proper BP so don't continue with the placeholder. Drops dom and OS tells you all you need to know. People want T'Challa and I don't mean only Chadwick. 

33 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

There is a certain sense of gravitas and pathos to these movies that you don’t really see in the rest of the MCU. 

Also why Joker was nominated. it felt more like a character study than CBM. It would be nice if AMPAS embraced CBM that are more classic SH than "Taxi Driver" or whatever BP movies aspire to be. But small steps and all that. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, YM! said:

the actual filmmaking things the Academy likes

I mean that’s mostly what I’m complaining about at the end if the day. There is a notion of “actual filmmaking” which doesn’t really engage with the most important aspects of the film that got made to people outside the academy. Pretty insular stuff a lot of the time.

Anyway this is my annual January kvetching about award attitudes but it doesn’t really matter so probably this is ~my final piece.

• Like 1

Bassett's unquestionably the frontrunner at this point. Double nominees from the same movie in the same category usually cancel each other out unless one of them ends up the clear frontrunner (see: Leo/Adams in The Fighter, Spencer/Chastain in The Help, Rockwell/Harrelson in Three Billboards, etc.), Chau is clearly a coattail nomination, and Condon's role/performance is the kind they like they to nominate but never actually reward. Plus it feels like Black Panther kind of overperformed despite missing Best Picture. It's her time and I couldn't be happier for it.