aabattery

Weekend Thread | Asgard sneaks up on p.24 ~ H2018 28, ASIB 8.1, V 7.9 GB2 4.4,FM 3.7

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

Universal will get Halloween over Venom.

Decent start for Mid90s, but Can You Ever Forgive Me is disappointing big time. Interest peaked way too soon on it

I feel like Fox Searchlight didn't do much to promote Can You Ever Forgive Me? despite the acclaim and having a big name comic actress in her first "serious" role. Guess they're just throwing all of their resources this season behind The Favourite since that's a much more surefire contender (especially as they get ready to be absorbed into Disney). Hopefully it expands well.

Mid90s did well but like Beautiful Boy last week was probably inflated by the Q&A. We'll see how it does next weekend it appears it will get a fairly wide expansion.

1 hour ago, Nova said:

Hoping Halloween can have a strong Saturday to help get it over $81M but a great opening either way. Just want it to get the record lol 

Bad Times had a great hold this weekend but it's unfortunately from an opening weekend that wasn't high enough to save it from being a flop. Seems like it might be one of those cult classic type movies. 

Like I said last week, if First Man drops over 40%, I'm not expecting strong legs for it and well it's looking to drop 44%. Thinking it'll finish in the low $50Ms for its total run. 

Finally, pretty disappointing to see The Hate You Give drop from the initial Friday estimates by that much. I was hoping it could do $10M+ this weekend but it is what it is, I guess. 

Eh, the First Man drop might go over 50% tbh. I would take this 44%  easily, wouldnt be so bad if you take in consideration how inaccesible this is

Such a shame because its a fantastic film. My #2 of the year so far

Edited by Damianport1
  • Like 1

I feel like I have been hearing about Melissa McCarthy's amazing role in a movie that's supposed to come out but 1) I never knew what it was called until today (seriously) and 2. I had no idea when it was coming out 

All I knew was that there was a movie in which Melissa McCarthy is amazing in and it's supposed to make her a contender during awards season. 

Wow, 2018 is just becoming too Legendary at the Box Office.  As for the "What's the bigger surprise Halloween V Venom" takes.  Yes Halloween is on it's 11th Sequel.  Yes it's a 40 year of Franchise but it's still a slasher film which always had a ceiling at the box office.   Also this new Halloween is performing like a PG13 film instead of R-rated as far as huge opening numbers when normally an R-rated Slasher flick would only do decent numbers.   As for "Venom", yes the Critics and Media wrote it off as an artistic failure but the audiences spoke.   Also Venom is a much darker character to base a comic book movie around without Spiderman having a prominent role.   So I think both are very impressive for what they are doing.   "Venom" still is a PG13 comic book movie so naturally it has a higher ceiling than "Halloween" but for "Halloween" to do this is nothing short of Legendary.  80's and 90's  Nostalgia has made a huge impact this Decade at the Box Office.  Many people have grown up and new generations are being introduced to these Iconic Characters.  

6 hours ago, Daenys said:

https://deadline.com/2018/10/halloween-record-opening-weekend-box-office-1202485871/

WEEKEND B.O. FOR OCT. 19-21

THUMB RANK FILM DIS. SCREENS (CHG) FRI 3-DAY (-%) TOTAL WK
halloween-2.jpg?resize=500%2C281&w=135 1 Halloween Uni/Mmax/Blum 3,928 $33M $79.4M $79.4M 1
a-star-is-born.jpg?resize=500%2C281&w=13 2 A Star Is Born WB 3,884 (+176) $5.6M (-34%) $18.8M (-34%) $125.8M 3
venom-ii.jpg?resize=500%2C281&w=135 3 Venom Sony 3,887 (-363) $5.9M $17.5M (-50%) $170.5M 3
goosebumps-dos.jpg?resize=500%2C281&w=13 4 Goosebumps 2 Sony 3,521 $2.6M (-47%) $10.1M (-36%) $29.2M 2
first-man-ii.jpg?resize=500%2C281&w=135 5 First Man Uni/DW 3,640 $2.6M (-54%) $8.9M (-44%) $30.3M 2
the-hate-u-give-thug-012_rgb.jpg?resize= 6 The Hate U Give Fox 2,303 (+2,055) $2.6M (+400%) $7.7M (+352%) $10.9M 3
smallfoot.jpg?resize=500%2C281&w=135 7 Smallfoot WB 3,032 (-574) $1.7M (-25%) $6.7M (-26%) $66.4M 4
bad_times_at_the_el_royale.jpg?resize=50 8 …El Royale Fox 2,808 $1.4M (-50%) $5M (-30%) $15M 2
nightschoolstill4.jpg?resize=500%2C281&w 9 The Night School Uni 2,296 (-484) $1.3M (-40%) $4.6M (-40%)   $66.5M 4
the-old-man-and-the-gun.jpg?resize=500%2 10 The Old Man… FSL 802 (+574) $587K (+110%) $1.9M
(+107%)
$4M 4

ASIB is not going over Venom for the weekend with a lower Friday..... probably not even that close of a race

1 hour ago, a2k said:

Venom also had 2 small hurdles to overcome. The last non-MCU Spidey film was ASM2 which was panned. Venom's last apperance was in SM3 which was not very well received. So non-MCU Venom doing 80 ow on track for 210 dom is very impressive.

But yeah, the Venom vs Halloween fight is only for the sake of bo-fun as this doesn't happen often in October.

yep, this has been an amazing October! :bravo:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

ASIB is not going over Venom for the weekend with a lower Friday

Asgard came in with numbers and he had Venom at 5m & ASIB at 5.5m. So maybe DHD made a typo. They probably meant to write 4.9m instead of 5.9m. But we'll know the Fri. estimates in a few hours so let's wait and see.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Universal will get Halloween over Venom.

Decent start for Mid90s, but Can You Ever Forgive Me is disappointing big time. Interest peaked way too soon on it

I didn't even know CYEFM came out this weekend. I thought it was a November release. Guess that says a lot about Searchlight's marketing campaign.

2 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

It's no more of an opinion than yours, buddy :hahaha: It's still a big comic book movie, and it was well recieved by audiences anyway. How is an R-rated slasher movie from an old franchise opening virtually the same not more impressive than that?

Let him do his dumb bit. Hopefully he'll leave us in a month or two.

• Like 1

ASIB is a giant hit even it collapsed from this day forward which it won't. $36M budget before P&A, will be close to 200M WW after this weekend. it's done the job. It's an undisputed boxoffice smash, it's an undisputed critical smash. Awards noms and maybe even some wins will follow since it's contention to win. First Man is the one in trouble because it was never contending to win, just to get noms. So such movies (and actors, directors) tend to fall by the wayside when stronger candidates contending for the win arrive. It does not have boxoffice on its side and even though that never played much of role lately, it's a bonus for aspiring nominees. 

28 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Let him do his dumb bit. Hopefully he'll leave us in a month or two.

We are not going anywhere! You are better off hoping you don’t become part of our menu... on second thoughts SelfreliantCapitalDog-small.gif

• Haha 3
  • Astonished 1