aabattery

Weekend Thread | Asgard sneaks up on p.24 ~ H2018 28, ASIB 8.1, V 7.9 GB2 4.4,FM 3.7

20 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

It's hard to fault WB for their ASIB campaign. Turning a would-be Razzie contender into an R-rated date-night smash for adults is no easy feat especially in this day and age. But I question their decision to drop it in the midst of such intense competition. Bohemian in particular will knock the wind out of its sails. 

I also wonder if Halloween should have been released on the 12th. It's going to have two massive weeks but as of November 1st it's dead. 

:winomg:

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Are we trying to pretend that an R rated drama making a lot of money is a disappointment now? Lol. Never change BOT. There are no months without competition. A Star is Born is fine,  worry about the overhyped First Man. 

First Man is barely going to break even, ASIB is already profitable. 

12 minutes ago, Nova said:

:winomg:

Binoche's gotta Binoche... 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

What kind of CinemaScore can we expect for Halloween 2018?

I could expect a B+/B. If audiences are really enjoying it, then perhaps A-. Unless it disappoints and gets a B- like Scream 4. 

Thoughts? Are audiences loving this movie? I'm curious.

I would guess B+, but who knows for sure. 

I see the audience & critics scores are identical right now at 80% ... the audience score actually went up from 78% earlier today.

Whatever the final weekend # ends up being (65-75) is kind of meaningless in the big picture because it's going to be so much higher than any other opening for the series by like at least 2.5-3x.  Huge success.

Edited by AdamKendall
  • Like 3

Looks like Halloween is going to have the massive opening that we expected for the past few weeks/months. Even though this movie obviously has a unique set of circumstances going for it, this is still yet another horror film crushing it at the box office.

IMO Horror and CBMs are easily the most profitable genres right now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

What kind of CinemaScore can we expect for Halloween 2018?

I could expect a B+/B. If audiences are really enjoying it, then perhaps A-. Unless it disappoints and gets a B- like Scream 4. 

Thoughts? Are audiences loving this movie? I'm curious.

A B- isn’t disappointing for a horror film. 

I’m predicting a B- for this. Scream 4 was awesome and it got a B- so.... 

LOL, so somehow ASIB is a flop and a slow roll-out YA drama is a flop too cause it didn't open to over $20M from limited release or whatever. You learn something new every day.:lol:

if mid 70s is Halloween opening prediction than it's likely going to be photofinish with Venom for the record for I think it's gonna hit 80M. 

How's Venom holding? It's gonna cross 200M when all is said and done, no? 

I’m expecting Deadlines Friday number to go down tomorrow morning, so I’m not saying anything. 

$10m R rated 11th instalment in a 40 year old slasher series doesn’t have to beat $100m+ budgeted family friendly PG13 spider man spin off superhero film to be a success. 

Halloween will open to more than any slasher film has in history. More than any of the other films in the franchise have made in total. 

And more than most horror films in general. 

Can we stop trying to make it seem like a disappointment. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

H40's numbers would have been stellar if it had hit 50mil opening weekend, of course 65-77mil is just extra stellar. The only disappointing number would have been a number that didn't make it a profitable venture.

We have had 3 50+mil opening horror movies in 2018. Only one of them is PG-13

A Quiet Place-50.2mil

The Nun-53.8mil

H40 - 65-77mil

Holy crap.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

15 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

LOL, so somehow ASIB is a flop and a slow roll-out YA drama is a flop too cause it didn't open to over $20M from limited release or whatever. You learn something new every day.:lol:

if mid 70s is Halloween opening prediction than it's likely going to be photofinish with Venom for the record for I think it's gonna hit 80M. 

How's Venom holding? It's gonna cross 200M when all is said and done, no? 

Hanging tight with Logan (2.56 domestic gross multiplier) and Solo (2.53). Currently Logan +0.02 on Thursday and even with Solo.

Deadline currently thinks Venom will be +0.05 Logan on Sunday and ASIB will be -0.12 Gravity on Sunday for whatever that's worth.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

H40's numbers would have been stellar if it had hit 50mil opening weekend, of course 65-77mil is just extra stellar. The only disappointing number would have been a number that didn't make it a profitable venture. 

$50m would’ve been more than stellar because it would still be the record for the genre. 

52 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

A B- isn’t disappointing for a horror film. 

I’m predicting a B- for this. Scream 4 was awesome and it got a B- so.... 

I liked Scream 4 too, but the 3 or 4 fake opening scenes weren't necessary.  It got old fast. 

On the other side, I watched Halloween 2 ( the sequel to Rob Zombie's Halloween ) and I don't know how this movie didn't get an F CinemaScore. There were some dream scenes in the movie ( one was almost 15 minutes long ) and many things didn't make any sense. It wasn't pooled, I think. That explains the lack of a CinemaScore.

Anyway, if this new Halloween manages to get a good audience review, then perhaps B+ is where it should go. 

13 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

$50m would’ve been more than stellar because it would still be the record for the genre. 

Sadly, that’s what I was expecting for Scream 4. Ever since then I learned to keep my horror expectations low and for the most part I’ve been surprised. Even when IT’s tracking was getting up there I tended to stay in the 45-50 range. 

• Like 1